Now all the ads on the sides of the screen are back with a vengeance![6]

Thanks to the help of the kindly and knowledgeable Sue, I have been ad free for over 2 years.  Now Firefox tells me that it no longer supports the add-ons that I had installed.

So anyone know of another method of blocking ads?  I must admit that the ads put me right off browsing......gggrrrggghhh

It is a bug in FF so don't worry they will get it sorted out soon.

Quote from Adblock plus : Since late Friday night, an expired certificate caused all add-ons on Firefox to be disabled.

With Adblock Plus being one of the favorite add-ons for users world-wide, this hits us hard. But we have absolute confidence in the open source community behind Firefox to get this fixed as soon as possible!

There is nothing you can or need to do, other than wait for Firefox to update, which will most likely happen automatically.

But .. if you cannot wait then :

Supposedly ublock origin is a good adblocker : it is available as an add-on to FF .. but it might be adversely affected by the bug too ;-)

There was a problem with a firefox update which stopped you installing the adblock extension. They have fixed it now and the new update which I got today allows them.Try Adblock Plus I find it very good.

Thank you, Sue and Spider.  It is as you have described.  However, unlike Spider, I couldn't download Adblock Plus.  It tells me that my download "failed".

So, I shall wait a bit.  In the meantime, can you describe how exactly you did the download, so that I can be sure that I was pushing the right buttons?  If that's not asking too much that is......[:$]

I had it too, the last few days. Husband cured it - hopefully- by changing my search engine.
From Google to DuckDuckGo.
ps the most embarassing result of this for me, was an advert on  the La Depeche website for John Lewis briefs which I had posted in a discussion about comfy underwear on Gransnet.
There where was even a reference to the town where we live [blink]

mint you shouldn't need to do anything as the bug should be fixed now.

You had adblock plus as an add-on to FF and it should start working again now the bug is fixed.

You can check that FF is up to date by :

Open up FF

At the top of the screen there is a bar with File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help from left to right.

Click on Help/Aide : a drop down list will open

Click on About FF

This will launch an update to your FF

When it has downloaded the update you will need to restart FF to install the update

It has a helpful button there to do just that for you

and all should then good ;-)

[quote user="mint"]
Thank you, Sue and Spider.  It is as you have described.  However, unlike Spider, I couldn't download Adblock Plus.  It tells me that my download "failed".

So, I shall wait a bit.  In the meantime, can you describe how exactly you did the download, so that I can be sure that I was pushing the right buttons?  If that's not asking too much that is......[:$]

[/quote]

You need the latest firefox update which is 66.0.4 (32-bit) in the case of my machine. To see if you have the latest update go to the menu (3 horizontal bars upper right of browser) select "help" then "about firefox". If yours is not up to date I think it will give you the option to update.

Sue and Spider, I have tried getting adblock many times and each time the message comes up:Download failed.  Please check your connection.

It's really, really getting me down by now[:'(]

It will continue to say that if EITHER:
You haven't goy the very latest FF

OR you haven't done the following  (another way round if you feel brave)
Go into Preferences
Privacy and security
Firefox data collection and use

make certain the box 'allow Firefox to install and run studies' is ticked.

Then close FF and re-start your computer