Now the phone does not accept incoming calls!!!

Horrible thing to happen, dear mint. I can quite understand how shaken you feel - especially when you know a friend felt so concerned about you that she fell for it.

I wonder if she could claim the fraudulent payment back from her bank or credit card company? Just a thought...

Chin up, gal...

Yes, I get the message on the address line flagged up in red 'Not Secure' which is one of reasons I haven't been on this forum much lately. I ought to have done as having read this thread I too a couple of months back received two separate emails from friends or so I thought. I knew it was odd cos they were in french which my english friends over here would never do and ended quite oddly like they ran out of steam. The first one I almost replied to as it listed my friends complete name wishing me a happy new year and that they had a problem and could we talk via email. I was thinking maybe they were really ill and needed some help but it was OH that really made me think about it and as they only live down the road we could pop in. I ran the mouse over the email address and seeing it, it went straight into the orange rouge box. The second email again listed another friend by full name (we are all orange.fr), I checked the address and again a similar address just a different number at the end so into the orange rouge box it went. Now having read this thread I realise that our telephone was up the creek/hacked as people for several weeks had tried to ring us but the phone didn't ring and the orange message service didn't appear to work so we thought the phone was defunct and went out and purchased a new panasonic phone with an answerphone attached. All seems to work fine now or so it seems.

Having been hacked about 5 years ago and losing everything on my imac photos the lot which led to buying a new imac, I am extremely careful now re not secure websites which is why I haven't been on this one very much!

Mrs KG

Interestingly, I have just googled the address and it is listed as fraudulent and it's a gmail.com address

• 2 weeks later...
Painful as it is for me to revisit this thread, I just want to urge everyone to consider changing their email provider.

This afternoon, one of the elderly conseillers from the village came looking for me.  He'd received an email in English and wanted me to translate it for him. It looks as though some scammer has taken 44 euros from his bank account.  Email had no name, of course, just a couple of initials and the writer was supposed to be from the support team and it promised to be in contact with him soon.

Sue did say that chez Orange seemed to have a lot of scams.

I also spoke to a nerdy type and he said that Orange was not secure and he showed me how easy it was to change my password on it.

So, just beware, everybody!  This has been a nasty, disturbing experience for me and I wouldn't want any of you to be subjected to something similar.

[quote user="NormanH"]Have you now changed your email address mint? I have a couple of things to send but I don't want to write to your scammers...

[/quote]

Yes, changed and have also now managed to send you an email with the new address.  For some reason, my AltGr key has decided not to work and I had to google how to do @ without using this key[I]!

[quote user="woolybanana"]Do your PM and email on this forum work or is the latter ruggered so that only Norman can use it??[/quote]

Mint likes to do everything the hard way.

And in answer to your next question - "Standing up in a hammock".

[quote user="NormanH"]I sent you a mail about my new scooter...I don't intend to  write anything confidential until I am sure I am addressing the real Polo..[6]

[/quote]

Norman, can I ride pillion?  Emailing you later......[:)]