Wee problem with ADSL

If the phone rings while I'm using the internet, the connection sometimes drops. If I answer the phone, it always drops.Research indicates it's a poor connection somewhere, causing a weak signal.

My router is connected to a secondary socket, which I installed many years ago. If I were to connect my router to the master socket and establish a connection, I could test it by phoning in with, eg, a mobile. If the ADSL connection drops, it's outside the house - if the ADSL continues, it's my shoddy workmanship inside the house.

The problem is, the master socket is an old "T" socket, and I've thrown out any matching cables. To save me buying one, is there another way to discover whether the fault is internal (after the master socket) or external (before the master socket)?

Cheers

Ian wrote : The problem is, the master socket is an old "T" socket, and I've thrown out any matching cables. To save me buying one, is there another way to discover whether the fault is internal (after the master socket) or external (before the master socket)?

IMHO it sounds as though you are using an old phone only connection. These had a ''bell' ringer addition which, obviously, made the ring sound when s.o. rang your number.

I remember years ago having to remove the unnecessary, offending part from a friend's master t- connection socket. After that her newly-acquired ADSL worked much better.

It was called a 'condensateur' .. see below if this is what is causing your problem.

https://blog.ariase.com/box/dossiers/condensateur

Apologies : you will have to copy and paste as I'm using my tablet.

suein56, thank you. I'll go and have a look at the master socket. I suspect it's not a "condensateur" problem, though, as the set-up worked perfectly for ten years - it's only in the last year or so that it's been troublesome.

Cheers

If you have a modem-router supplied in France, are you sure you don't have the T-socket-to-RJ11 adapter which was often supplied?

If you have a spare cable which plugs into the new-style phone socket and into your router, you could cut off the RJ11 plug and wire that directly into the master socket in place. See this for the wiring http://tk5yp.free.fr/informatique/freebox.htm

Not a french router, unfortunately - I bought it from Amazon UK. I did have a selection of t-socket cables, but I threw them out years ago.

I don't think I have a spare cable, so I guess the simplest thing to do is just buy a t-socket cable.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Try asking a neighbour if they have an Adaptateur téléphonique gigogne.

Otherwise you could buy this adapter https://www.amazon.fr/Adaptateur-téléphonique-Gigogne-Plots-91191/dp/B000GET4M0/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Adaptateur+téléphonique+Gigogne&qid=1561897916&s=gateway&sr=8-4