Best internet solution?

Hello all. Hoping you all in great health and spirit !

Question concerning the best (cheapest ...) internet provider.

For the past 10 years, we have been with orange "decouverte" which allows us to stop the telephone and internet for long periods when we aren't in France.

At the beginning, they wanted us to send the livebox back to them which was a bit silly .... so I bought a 2nd hand livebox on the internet and returned the one I was renting from Orange. This worked fine for a while until the day we couldn't get the internet back on and calls to their help line in Egypt or Tunisia didn't help at all.

We now unplug the internet but carry on with our monthly internet subscription of €24.99 ..... The telephone itself has been off for more than one year and as we don't use it, I leave it off (we are in credit with Orange by €1.99 ...)

Question is, which internet provider would you recommend that would be a) cheaper and b) reliable ....

Thanks for your advice.

What I have done now we have a good 4g phone signal is use my phone as a hotspot. My phone is with EE on an 80gb data limit they allow me to use 50gb wilst roaming which is enough for 5 full length Netflix films but whilst the pandemic is on they have waived the 50gb so I get 80gb enough for me! Caution though, despite adverts for other phone networks like 3 they restrict to just 20gb roaming.

Dont know if that helps?

ericd wrote the following post at 14 Nov 2020 16:03:

Question concerning the best (cheapest ...) internet provider.

We now unplug the internet but carry on with our monthly internet subscription of €24.99 ..... The telephone itself has been off for more than one year and as we don't use it, I leave it off (we are in credit with Orange by €1.99 ...)

Things have moved on a bit since the days of Orange Découverte .. you don't pay separately for phone and for internet any more.

Nowadays most Internet contracts have included-in-the-price telephone calls to fixed phones in many countries of the world viz UK, Europe, USA etc.

Sosh (Internet-only arm of Orange) sounds as though it would suit you very well. It costs 20€ a month all in.

https://m.shop.sosh.fr/box-internet?

or 30€ pm if you have a fibre connection nearby.

Edit: Sorry my link is not live so you will have to copy and paste it into your browser.

Apologies agaib .. the precise link was too long and caused problems on the Complete France web-site software.

• 2 weeks later...
ericd wrote the following post at 26 Nov 2020 18:31:

Have you seen the customer comments ...???? ....

Oh yes I have .. but you know the French they love to complain ?.

You asked for good Internet provider and I gave you one. I have almost lost count of the number of people to whom I have recommended Sosh ..

For most people it works very well at v reasonable cost.

I have been with them for 4 1/2 years .. mint for almost the same length of time.

Many friends of ours here are with Sosh ..

If you don't fancy them then there are others.

ericd wrote the following post at 27 Nov 2020 10:29:

Well thank you very much sue .... I was just asking ....

Yes I know .. if you looked at the comments of any of the Internet providers .. SFR, Bouygues, especially Orange etc then you would find very similar complaints .. people very rarely write in to say how excellent the service is .. ?

I think the cheapest option for fixed internet is still offered by Red-by-sfr. I switched from Orange 'découverte' to Red years ago and still pay €15/month including free phone calls to fixed lines in most of the world on a line non-dégroupé.

Currently this costs €20/ month on dégroupage and  €25/month on non-dégroupage. They have regularly promotions with lasting discounts. Never had any problems. A broken line got repaired in three days, it took Orange three weeks to repair a broken line a few years earlier.

[quote user="Jako"]
I think the cheapest option for fixed internet is still offered by Red-by-sfr. I switched from Orange 'découverte' to Red years ago and still pay €15/month including free phone calls to fixed lines in most of the world on a line non-dégroupé.

Currently this costs €20/ month on dégroupage and  €25/month on non-dégroupage. They have regularly promotions with lasting discounts. Never had any problems. A broken line got repaired in three days, it took Orange three weeks to repair a broken line a few years earlier.

[/quote]

Are these prices for line rental with landline calls and broadband? WE have continued with FT (Orange) for many years worrying about line repairs. They have responded well to several incidents with our local farmer dropping trees and branches and moving high vehicles.

Thanks, Alistair

napoleon wrote the following post at 05 Dec 2020 18:06:

Are these prices for line rental with landline calls and broadband?

They are .. but, if like us, you regularly ring French mobiles from your fixed VOIP line then you need to add in the 5€ a month option to cover inclusive calls to mobiles.

Edit: most Internet providers to we unlucky non-dégroupé clients provide a bare-bones service which costs approx 30€ a month whichever provider you are with.

Edit 2: The other option, only if you have good 4G mobile reception is to buy a sim-card from the likes of RED for approx 15€ pm for 80Gb of data, then buy a sim router and use that for your Internet access.