Connectivity Problem

An annoying situation and hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

We have a 'tower' pc and an iPad. 90% of the time I use the iPad for access to the internet. Yesterday, it all of a sudden went 'offline' - this isn't particularly unusual and after a while the router comes back without me having to do anything. This time though, when I went to 'Settings' on the iPad, it was asking me which network I wanted to connect to.

OK, SFR 4370 and it then asked for the password which I duly entered. "Incorrect Password". I've re-tried multiple times, I've unplugged everything and re-started - no joy.

Obviously. the tower pc provides access otherwise I wouldn't be able to post this plea for help, but it is of course hard-wired to the router. Might this mean that the wifi bit of the router is on the blink, or is it perhaps a problem with the iPad?

I wondered about re-setting the router password which I did several years ago, but can't remember how I did it.

Any ideas anybody?

Norman ........

Thanks for that, but it is actually a password that's bespoke to that router.

I've been able to at least prove that the problem is with the router, because I went round to a friend this morning and was able to connect using the iPad in to his router. No problem, so happily not a fault with the iPad.

Will now have to contact SFR, which will test my patience / sanity!

You should be able to connect to your router admin via its web access on your computer. The wifi code is usually on a sticker under the router. Is there anything here that helps https://assistance.sfr.fr/internet-tel-fixe/box-nb4/configurer-acces-interface-web-administration.html

Thanks for that Betise.

I found that stuff myself late this morning and spent a couple of hours going through all the diagnostic checks and fixes, to no avail.

It was therefore with considerable dread, that I was faced with having to ring SFR Customer Service.

Problem fixed! First of all, she could ‘see’ who I was. I explained the problem and what I’d done to try to rectify things. I suspect that she could ‘see’ all of that too.

After loads of security questions (perfectly understandable) she asked me what I wanted the password to the router to be. Gave her that and she asked to me attempt a signon. It worked - she was able to reset the password remotely.

I’ll readily admit that I’ve been known to be grumpy when trying to get a problem fixed with Customer Service departments. However, that lady at SFR was excellent today - hats off to them and her.

Gardian wrote the following post at 25 Feb 2021 17:43:

I’ll readily admit that I’ve been known to be grumpy when trying to get a problem fixed with Customer Service departments. However, that lady at SFR was excellent today - hats off to them and her.

We used to be with SFR years ago .. great at first then they slowly slid into horrific price rises, accompanied by terrible client service .. probably due them having been taken over with dire results.

Now I am very pleased to hear that they are regaining a good reputation .. as good client service is becoming more and my important.