Fibre Optic connection to house

Please excuse my ignorance but our neighbourhood is having fibre optic cable being strung from pole to pole alongside the telephone line and I would like to know how this is being connected inside the house.

What I mean is what happens to the telephone line, is it still kept in addition or does the fibre optic cable take telephone as well. If there is just the fibre optic I presume that would go direct into the livebox, but how is the telephone connected?

If you do not subscribe to fibre, then nothing should change. If you subscribe to fibre, then you will get some kind of Livebox connected to the fibre and your telephone will pass through the fibre optic cable (the Orange Livebox 5 has two telephone outlets at the back of the box, although one will likely be sufficient!). You can discuss the details with the commercial supplier (most often Orange) when you sign up (if you do).

We are looking forward to 6 May (with some trepidation, because of complications with the configuration of house/cables) and the installation here. The three of us use up to 5 computers at a time and we should get something like a 13x increase in internet speed.

CeeJay wrote the following post at 22 Apr 2021 10:21:

.. what happens to the telephone line, is it still kept in addition or does the fibre optic cable take telephone as well. If there is just the fibre optic I presume that would go direct into the livebox, but how is the telephone connected?

Do you have a telephone plugged into a t-shaped socket of its own ?

Traditional ‘landlines’ are going to cease to exist in the very near future. Most people who have an internet connection use VOIP and for those people who want a telephone but no internet connection a simple VOIP box will be installed in place of the landline. For people who have fibre the VOIP will work that.

Whether you keep your landline is up to you. You can keep the land line phone number (or everyone I know did) but it becomes part of the fibre package. This part of Manche (perhaps the whole of Manche) could select from a range of packages from about 6, maybe 8 service providers who all used the same infrastructure managed by (I think) Manche Numerique.

We made our choice, got rid of SFR but kept the land line number and the service provider we contracted with managed the switchover with SFR. This was about 2 years ago.

We consistently get upload / download speeds of about 90 Mbps and apart from one infrastructure failure that affected a number of the providers and lasted about 2 weeks, it has been very reliable. The outage wasn't a disaster because we both have mobile phones too.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Suein56: yes I have a normal telephone connection but also have a Livebox for internet. With download speeds at the moment of around 700Kps I can honestly say that I cant wait for a decent connection!

Decision now as to keep landline or not!

• 5 months later...

I'm reviving this thread (I hope) because fibre is arriving in our village ! Wooo! 

I would like to know how the fibre cable gets into the house (I can understand the connection to a new box inside the house). So, does it mean that a hole is drilled through the wall or do they attempt to feed the cable alongside the existing copper telephone cable all the way to where the box will be positioned.

Do we have to find a new convenient location for the box ?

Our exterior stone walls are dry-lined and insulated and the existing phone cable is in a "gaine" to a T-socket. Perhaps it could be pulled through the gaine ?

I would just like to know in advance what to expect. The house is 60m from the road and telegraph pole, and the existing line is overhead to the house, so I see added complications there.

What does it cost to change to fibre? Is there an installation charge?

This is for Orange using their Livebox.

The fibre cable should follow the existing route of your copper cable, and it should be possible to draw the cable through  the existing gaine.

You can locate the box wherever you choose.

You will need to collect a new box from a pointe relais as they no longer post to home addresses.

The only cost should be for the technician to couple the new cable to your new box and set it up. €50. If of course you elect to couple up yourself, the charge will be waived. I did it myself.

I've organised three Orange fibre installations this year, this is what I've noted -

They will send the Livebox to your home address.

The technicians will push for the easiest option for them when choosing the internal location of the new socket and it will need to be near an electric point to plug-in to the Livebox as the supplied fibre cable from the new socket is very short, don't let them bully you into drilling a hole in the wall if there's a chance it will fit through an existing gaine.

Our house is over 250m from the main fibre point in our hamlet and a team of four managed to hook up everything from there and install the internal box inside three hours so 60m should be a doddle.

Before you order from Orange check other providers - Free, SFR and Bouygues as they may be cheaper.

Do not pay the set-up fee as you can do everything yourself from changing the pass code to adding in booster boxes.

The technician who installed Free fibre in our flat let me watch the whole process, including joining the fibres, very interesting.  We pay 29.99 for our unlimited 1Gb, but the same offer is now 34.99.  Included VIOP phone calls, mostly free to other countries.  What is also worth looking at is what else comes with the offer.  My wife has a 100gb mobile phone Europe and some parts of the world contract with free, should be 19.99 a month, but being Free client we only pay 15.99.  Also, for the 2€ limited phone card (good for the occasional visit to France) it is free as a client.  

Well so far we have had one attempt by one provider which cost 300€ for an electrician to run a wire through the gaine for the existing telephone line which goes across the garden and under the house before emerging the other side. The technicians who came to install fibre broke the wire and could not install the new line. Some months later we are now trying again with Orange. Line under house impossible so terrassier needed to dig up courtyard and run gaine underground from opposite direction. Cost 700€. Cheap it isn't.