Internet via 3G or 4G

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I promised myself when planning my move from France to Spain was to never get myself into the same situation I had in France which was being forever tied to tied to a crappy 2mb Internet from Orange.

Perversely, despite actually having a rock solid 2mb, and a line who's ACTUAL attenuation meant it should have been good for 5-6mb, their joke of a database had it down as only good enough for 512kb which meant no other provider could or would offer me more so stuck with them I was. For those who understand these things when they built a new exchange in my town, which was only 100m away from the old one, according to their updated database that move added 10dB of loss to my line!

In addition that 3g was next to non existent (not a lot of help when trying to contact Orange when their crap 'service' went down) and it was only in the final months before moving that a whiff of 4g blew my way which I took advantage of with a 4g router connected to a pair of cross polarised yagi antennas which pulled in 20mb+.

In total contrast here in Spain the small enclosed semi rural development I live on (45 dwellings) is served by fibre to the site then CAT5 to each property, that gets me a symmetrical 75mB+ with a ping of 1ms.

My actual ISP is a mere km away in the nearby town so on the exceptionally rare occasion I do have a problem I can either pop down to their office, or call or message them on their customer help line (Spanish and English), and usually somebody is out if not immediately then certainly within half an hour or so.

With their service I get a land line phone with free calls to most of the world plus something like 100 HD TV channels including BBC,ITV.CH4,CH5, and numerous others English channels.

For all of this I pay just €33/mth.

I also have excellent 4g coverage and pay €12/mth for a PAYG package with free calls to UK land lines and mobiles and to much of the world, plus 6gB of date each month.

johnnyboy wrote the following post at 11 Feb 2021 14:53:

Hi All, does anyone know how to access the equipment page on the SOSH website please? Have tried everything I can, but no joy so far. JB

Depending on what you want to find out about 'equipment' .. try googling Sosh Livebox 4 or whatever flavour of equipment you have or want to know about.

Ooops, should have re read my message before posting!

What I was looking for is the ability to extend the ring time , before the answerphone cuts in. I read further back in this discussion that it is possible to do if you access the "equipment" on the SOSH website. Still not able to find that. JB

You need to go into your Sosh account ..

Espace client

Accueil

(For me : Maison .. Fixe .. renvoi des appels .. modifier le nombre de sonneries)

It depends on your Sosh account as I think you have a very recent one .. mine is an old one which is slightly different to yours.

That's where the problem lies Sue, I can't follow the line of instructions that you have. Oh well, I do have another line of investigation to follow when time permits. Am also thinking of moving to another operator and get a much better allowance than the one I'm on at the moment. JB

• 1 month later...
Well done, JB. Do you know which mast you're connecting to? and what speeds are you getting? On my side of the 912, the HuaCtrl App tells me my Huawei B525 is getting Sosh 4G from a little north of La Villaubrun, about 40 Mbs download and 8-9 Mbs upload. Free certainly sounds attractive with 150 GB!!!!

• 3 months later...
Afternoon All,

Is anyone else having any problems with free.fr at the moment? I changed over to them a while back and all has been great until just recently. Normally I was seeing 25 to 30 Mbs, but this has dropped to just hundreds of KBs download.

The signal strength is good ( 5 Bars), but mu connection has dropped from 4G to 3G with consequent drop in download speed.

Wondered if my connection has been altered by them or something of that nature?

Johnnyboy

The signal strength is good ( 5 Bars), but mu connection has dropped from 4G to 3G with consequent drop in download speed.

Wondered if my connection has been altered by them or something of that nature?

If the problem has not been caused by an outage and is back up to speed, there is one other thing to check.

If you are using your mobile contract as your main internet connection (as opposed to a land line/fibre optic), check your contract. It may be the first 100gb is at 4G speeds, thereafter it drops to 3g speeds. Sometimes the advert is unlimited internet, but there is a download cap. You still get unlimited access but at 3G speeds. This happened to our son at Uni when he fell into the same trap!

Ah, that might explain things, had not thought of checking for anything like that.

I have in fact started the process of changing to Bouyguestel after the appalling customer non - service of the girl we tried to speak with online at Free.fr. She was just not interested at all, kept saying she couldn't understand either of us and my wife's french is pretty good!!

Will see how this pans out then.

Johnnyboy.