Greyhounds and fences!

I am in the process of greyhound proofing my garden as when I am more settled I am dying to see if a greyhound out there is willing to adopt me.

This might be a silly question but in putting up a fence it needs to be high enough for a greyhound not to jump over.

The big question then is "how high can a greyhound jump"

Carol,

When we rehome our greyhound we ask for fencing of at least 5ft 6, if people's fencing is less we ask them to put trellis on the top of the fence which is a cheap option but still provides a barrier.

Good luck with finding your new hound.

Nettie

We had a greyhound for a while - he died, sadly, All he wanted to do was to lie in the sun, preferably on top of some freshly watered flowers. No interest in jumping fences. He did enjoy a run in the field with our other dog though. But I suppose it depends where you live, near a road or not etc.

We had a retired racing greyhound for the best part of ten years-they are a wonderful pet-they don't need much exercise-a sprint and then sleep for the rest of the day and -yes-they can't half jump.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a retired racing greyhound and he didn't know how to jump, poor thing!  The first time we went for a walk we couldn't get him over a stile and the first time he saw a real hare it didn't occur to him to chase it.   A friend's dog taught him to chase rabbits (the only one he caught was ill with mixi) and he did learn to jump but only about 3-4 feet and never got our of our garden.  We loved him to bits and it was good to see him develope from a scared creature to a loving pet.  Sadly he got cancer after only a year.

I have a retired greyhound. His a real sweetie, Spends nearly all day sleeping in between walks and eating. Never had such an easy dog. His never got us up during the night in the 2+ years we have had him. I honestly don't think mine would jump a fence. but, I know he could if he really wanted to. His favorite trick is to stand up on his hind legs and walk like his pushing an invisible pram.

We have a young lurcher (greyhound/irish wolfhound) and our fencing is just over a metre high. He's never shown any interest in jumping it but probably could if he really really wanted to. It's picket type fencing and he did try to go through it once (and knocked a picket out) when a cat walked by!

Hi

We have a lurcher who can jump.  We put up a fence 2 metre high, netting, and are trailing honeysuckle, bignone, and other climbing plants over it.  He could jump the stone wall at our previous house, but he can't get a grip on the sheep netting fencing.

When you come to get your hound, look on www.adopter-levrier.com, there is an English page.  I recently went on a rescue mission with the L'Europe des Levriers team to Spain and brought back 20 galgos.  They are the Spanish greyhound.  Besides rehoming, the association is also putting pressure on the Spanish government to stop greyhound racing and hunting with galgos, to stop the horrendous cruelty inflicted on these gentle affectionate dogs after hunting finishes at the end of January.  Worth joining them, only 20 euros a year.

Good luck when you get your dog, and enjoy it.

B