Stray cats in Deux Sevres

We have a holiday home near Thouars in a tiny hamlet in the country.  The hamlet is full of stray cats - five live in our garden and a lot more in the drainage ditches and farms nearby.   I have counted seventeen cats congregating in one kindly French couple's garden.

Being a cat lovers, we feed the cats in our garden when we are there, but we know there are three generations of the same cat family and none of them have been neutered.

Does anyone know of an organisation like the Cats Protection League which would help with the spaying of the females or possibly rehome some of the more sociable young cats?  I would be very grateful for any phone numbers or contacts in the Deux Sevres or Vienne areas.

Post edited by mod - please use the PM or email buttons to contact this poster

Please do not just dump them on someone who you assume will look after them. We have friends in Deux Sevres who are affected by this. They currently feed about 30 cats  - eleven were dumped on them last year. It is difficult from a cost point of view. If you must do this please leave at least €50 with them.

Sackville, I have to say that really doesn't look like Gills intention, she is already feeding some of them and needs help in remedying the situation. Some Uk organisations do/did trap ferals and make sure they are unable to reproduce then return them to the wild. I think Gills idea is to find an organisation to do something similar.

It may be worthwhile contacting a local vet to see if they can recommend someone in your area. We met a couple, last week, who were lent a trap by our local vet, to catch stray, wild cats for neutering & possible re-homing. 

We are lucky to have just a few strays in our area, which we feed occasionally (don't want to encourage them too much as our own cats are quite territorial) so we know exactly how you feel!! [:)]