Very dominant little 3 year old Teckel

I know we talked before about the merits or not of castration, but I wonder if any of you actually know if it would be good for my bossy fellow. I know that ideally I should ask the vet, but she is always banging on about castration, to be honest I think she would like to see every male in the world castrated! (Yes, she's a very scary lady!!)

Mike is very very dominant and constantly tries to force us to do what he wants, honestly it's ridiculous! ( picture a little regimental sargeant major and that's him). Otherwise he's the most adorable dog, and although not pure bred like our previous pets, he has the sweetest nature of any dog I have ever met. The problem though is that I can't take him anywhere because of his disruptive behaviour (we can't ever take him camping with us for example).

We have just bought a large van and would love to be able to take him with us rather than depend on our dippy daughter to look after him. I just know he'd love it, but I couldn't take him into a restaurant, shop etc as he is now.

So, and at the risk of attracting a bit of flak, if I get him castrated will it quieten him down a bit? Will he still want to defend us against everyone who comes within 10 meters, will we have a truce in the battle of wills? Is it too late at 3 years old?

I should point out that I follow techniques used by the Dog Whisperer (sorry can't remember his name just now) and have had some success, so behavioural therapy is not the answer for Mike. Interestingly he recommends castration at any age for every male dog for his own good, but what do you all think, you seem to be sensible animal lovers.

Thank you for reading this, and please, please let me know your opinions, it's all good.

Aly

I do not think that castration can do him any harm - I've always had my male dogs "done" with no ill effects that I have ever spotted.  Apart, of course, from the fact that they can put on a bit of weight.  On the other hand, although it could very well help, it may not cure the problem altogether and - in spite of your experiences thus far - I think you have to persist with the training, whether he has his bits off or not.

I do think castration is a good idea, regardless of whether or not it helps with the dominance problem.  (Why does ANYONE keep a non-neutered dog (or cat) these days?  Too many unwanted pups and kittens in the world......etc.   OK, end of rant[:)]!) 

If the Cesar Milan methods have had only limited effect, you might find that a hormone imbalance is causing some of his problems and castration would clear that up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chrissie (81)

Exactly what I'm thinking Chrissie, unfortunately hubby is gamely fighting a losing retreat on the subject!

I personally feel an excess of testosterone is the problem (in a previous life I was married to a bodybuilder so I know how it affects the male psychie).

I think I'll go ahead with it and keep up the training as well.

Woolybanana's brother, I think it's kinder than getting zapped by an electric shock every time he misbehaves! But thanks for the thought.

Aly

I had a dog a few years ago who was very dominant.  He got worse and worse until we couldnt let him off the lead any more because he would fight with any other dog and I couldnt go near him when he had food.  The final straw came when he started cocking his leg in the house...  I understand from my vet that this was the ultimate sign of where he stood in the pecking order in the house!

In the end we had him castrated and the difference was amazing.  He became a lovely amenable dog that we could take anywhere, take his food from him, trust with anyone.  I do strongly recommend castration if you do not intend to breed from him.

We have a lovely long haired miniature dachs bitch now and she is very dominant.  She even bosses my poor Alsation sized Griffon and wins.  She definately believes that she has an inner Rottweiler.  The only person she doesnt dominate is me...

Gail

• 1 month later...

I had a teckel for many years, Humphrey (watch out watch out there'sa humphrey about) was very dominant but part of this is because it is in the breeds nature. Personally castrating did help him but he was still as stuburn as a mule and if he wanted to do something he would.

He was a great character and part of that was down to the fact he was the boss!

Best and god luck!

Ben