sad, sad day

I have spoken before about my  14 year old Cocker lady who was blind and deaf, well today we had to make the dreadful decision. Her little back legs had been wobbly  for a while now but this morning she could not stand and it was so pitiful to see her. She is now at peace but I am so very sad as she was my princess, my little girl and I loved her so very much.

The Rainbow Bridge

inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

So sorry to hear about your loss Val.  This is a well known poem and always gives me comfort.

A POEM FOR THE GRIEVING...

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die...

-Anonymous

Val, I am so sorry, I know how very much she meant to you and how dear she was to you just being there in your everyday life.

It seems to be a bad time of year for the "oldies".  We have lost four since Christmas and my morale has been a bit low lately.  One was sixteen or seventeen, she had been operated on twice for a tumour on her leg and then for something else.  Then another little seventeen year old one who had been blind for a while, but was so determined she carried on until it was as if her little battery just wound down.  Then a little Yorkie who was about fourteen and another bigger dog who also died of old age.  They were all rescued many years ago.

They share our lives, travel with us, know all our ways, the bit of croissant with the coffee in the morning, the bit of cake with the tea.  They always know what time it is and what you are going to do and then suddenly they are gone.

They leave us very empty and sad, but at least we know we gave them the best lives we possibly could.  You certainly did Val.    xxx

Val, my condolences on your loss.  Just switched the computer on today.  We, too, have a little cocker girl and I understand totally the companionship she would have provided.

Take care, Val.

Christine, I didn't realise how many you must lose and I am truly sorry.  You are very brave to take them on when possibly no one else would have had them.

Keep up the good work.

Val, I also want to say how sorry I am. I know how heartbreaking it is but hopefully you can take some comfort in knowing even though it was very difficult, you did what was best for her and as Christine said, she had a very good life because of you.

Val,  I am so sorry for your loss.  My heart goes out to you but please take comfort as follows:-

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle can’t be won.

You will be sad, I understand

Don’t let this grief then stay your hand,

For this day, more than all the rest

Your Love and Friendship stands the test.

We’ve had so many happy years

What is to come can hold no fears,

Would you want me to suffer so?

When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they’ll tend

Only, stay with me to the end.

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

It is a kindness that you do to me.

Although my tail its’ last has waved,

From pain and suffering, I’ve been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you

Who must decide this thing to do,

We’ve been so close we two these years

Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

Take Care and know that we are all there for you.

xx

You know Val, the pain may still be raw but when our beloved old Ed died we dived straight back in and adopted our Charley who desperately needed a home and family to love him.   Knowing we had helped him kind of eased the pain of our loss, I'm sure Ed did'nt mind as he too had been a rescue case and was grateful to become part of a family at last.    Perhaps Christine has someone for YOU like she found Charley for us??

Thank you kind people for the comforting words and the beautiful poems, it is such a help. What makes it doubly bad is we have now lost two dogs in as many years but we still have Murphy our French rescue boy. He was very unsettled last night and instead of lying by the Log Burner he insisted on being a lap dog and for once he was allowed. He is getting lots of fuss and treats today . I think I am all cried out, but who knows. Bless you all. and my heart goes out to you, Christine, so  much pain to deal with.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  As written here with much grateful support we had our old lady put to sleep at the end of December.  If it's of any help (which I doubt at the moment) I was able to yesterday retrieve her bed from the back of the garage and give it a spring clean.  6 weeks on the feelings are obviously still there but not as raw.  I printed off the above poems and though no longer on the fridge are in my bag and can read them whenever I'm feel she's around - sounds strange I know but am convinced she is near somewhere.  Be strong, deep down you know it was for the best and she will be thanking you for the release.  xxxx  

So sorry to hear of your loss. I know we could not have let her go on the way she was yesterday as she must have been so scared. She was always a timid little thing and to cope with blindness and deafness then to find she could not even stand up she must have wondered what was happening to her. I think she would have passed away during the night if we had not stepped in but she would have had all those extra hours of suffering. She was wetting, messing and was also sick in her bed and there was blood in all of it so I think her organs were slowly shutting down.  I know it was the kindest thing to do and we are being selfish wishing she was still here in our lives but soon I hope the lovely memories will overtake the horrible way she was yesterday. I hope everyone here who have recently lost a beloved member of their lives will find solace in the kindness of this forum.

We do Val we do when we are all together and understand.  But we must go on, there are all the others who also would like to share our lives, the bit of croissant in the morning and the bit of cake with the tea.  They would also like their share of happiness and love, while the others will stay forever in our hearts.   [:)]

The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door.

Dear Dogs and Cats: The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Racing me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort, however. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline attendance is not required.

The proper order for kissing is: Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough.

Finally, in fairness, dear pets, I have posted the following message on the front door:

TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR PETS:

(1) They live here. You don't. (2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'fur'-niture. (3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people. (4) To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they (1) eat less, (2) don't ask for money all the time, (3) are easier to train, (4) normally come when called, (5) never ask to drive the car, (6) don't hang out with drug-using people; (7) don't smoke or drink, (8) don't want to wear your clothes, (9) don't have to buy the latest fashions, (10) don't need a gazillion pounds for university and (11) if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

[:)]

What a great post Twinkle, made me laugh as it`s so true!  The rest of this thread is very thought provoking, we all know what losing a pet is like it would seem and my thoughts and best wishes go out to anyone with recent loss, animal or human.

I lost my beloved Cocker lady 3 years ago at 16 and this post brings it all back.  I got her at a time in my life when I was very low and alone and I still miss her everyday, she never left my side (the bathroom issues in the post above are very relevant, after 16 years she never let me in there alone) and I still carry her urn of ashes with me, I can not bear to scatter them as I would hate to leave her anywhere, daft I know.