SPA Carcassonne

We took a little puppy on Friday evening from them. By Saturday morning it was vomiting and passing a little blood. We contacted the vet and took her straight away. Unfortunately she died today of the Parvo virus, we only had her for 20 hours.

There are two reasons for posting. The first is to warn people that there is the Parvo virus there so it may well be around the Carcassonne area as well so make sure your dogs are vaccinated. The vaccination lasts 3 years I believe. Make sure you have both the boosters. Our puppy had her the first and was 5 days away from getting the second. Ours had not been outside and neither had it mixed with any other dogs since we took it on Friday so to my mind the virus must be in the SPA.

The other question is what are the rules with kennels in France. In the UK they close until cleaned and given a full health check, its a big thing there. I ask this because although my vet called and told them straight away on Saturday they are still open and people are still taking dogs. Being vaccinated does not mean the dog does not 'carry' the virus from what I have read.

Added - As an after thought, I am in no way blaming the SPA, they probably didn't even know they had the virus.

Oh Quillan I so upset for you as I know what it meant for you to get another dog.... and also for the poor little mite ....

I was there last week as I'd raised some money for them , but used it to buy treats and dog blankets as I didnt want to just hand money over the counter .... Do you know if I could carry it on my shoes ect ... or is it not that type of virus ?

I think you can by stepping in vomit or feces from an infected animal. Touching an infected animal and not washing afterwards can also transmit the virus. It can also cross over to cats although it very rare like one in several million. It can also be transited by contact. We have just finished scrubbing the house with bleach just as a precaution and washed any clothing and bedding it came in contact with. I have to go to the vets this afternoon to pay the bill and get a letter to take to the SPA explaining what happened. All the information I have is via the web.

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

Somebody was suppose to contact us the day after we took the body back to the SPA which they asked us to do. I presume they wanted to do a blood test or something. Since then we have heard nothing. We had contacted them by phone but the 'person' was never there, at least they answer their phones these days.

Their biggest problem (for them) was that we had not taken the puppy to their vet where the fees would be paid for by the SPA. Instead we had used a different one in Carcassonne. I explained that we trusted the vet that we used and they have looked after all our animals and are very well respected. I also said that as it was Parvo neither the vet or I thought it a good idea to move a dog around that had such an infectious disease.

Anyway to cut a long story short I went there yesterday and the outcome is they are sending us a cheque for the cost of the puppy plus half our vets bill which is something. I know the money might not seem important but to spend in excess of 200 Euros only to have a puppy for around 20 hours is a bit stiff.

So we have heard of some puppies that are 6 weeks old but not in the SPA and we are waiting for a phone call to visit.

Quillan - I am so sorry for what happened and hope you feel better.  Before getting a new puppy however I suggest you ask your vet's advice.  In the days when I worked with dogs it was always advised to leave a gap of 3-4 months before introducing a new puppy to a house where there had been parvo, as it is a very resistant bug.  There are special disinfectants which can be used in any areas where the puppy has been, but I would certainly advise being cautious and asking for the vet's recommendations.  Sorry to be a killjoy when you are obviously looking forward to having a new puppy but I would hate for you to have further problems.

Many thanks for the advice.

Fortunatly we know exactly where the old puppy had been, it was a very limited area, and everything has been disinfected and cleaned. Your quite right we certainly don't want to go through this again and are anticipating not collecting the puppy until it is 13 weeks. The reason  for this is because we want it to have had both vacinations plus the 5 days for the final vacination to take effect. We don't mind the paying the owners for this plus and food bills etc. That said we have not even seen it yet so we don't know if its the one for us if you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...

Well wouldn't you adam and eve it.

Got a phone call today from the SPA at Carcassonne to tell use we will have to wait a further 7 days to collect our puppy as several of the other puppies are very ill. I asked if it was Parvovirus and they said they did not know at this time. Have they isolated the dogs that appear well, no of course not. Have they given the place a good clean and sterilized it, well I know what I think and its not a yes.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Max who survived Parvo and has now come to live with us. He is apparently a mix of Griffin and Cocker Spaniel. Not the best of photo's as he moves so fast.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/Max005.jpg[/IMG]

Heres a few more pictures of me I would like to share with you.

You see I have this cat problem, they keep taking swipes at me so I have come up with this idea. You see, if I nick their favorite toy and hide it somewhere they can't find it they might leave me alone. Its called revenge!

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/Max014.jpg[/IMG]

If I could just get it past the gate.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/Max015.jpg[/IMG]

I'll show them

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/Max004.jpg[/IMG]

What me, I know nothing....

A little tip for you my little friend .... each time a cat swipes at you .... cry pitterfully roll over and play dead ..... because its a little known fact but cats do have a consoience and in no time it will be winter again and you will be surrounded by adoring cats washing you in front to the fire.....Trust me ... from an adored  dog in Cornwall [;-)] Ballooxx  

• 2 months later...