Poor little Mambo

Poor little homeless Mambo came across a group of youths in a village near Perpignan on 11th August.  The cleverest one, seventeen years old, poured petrol over him while a twenty-two year old girl tried to hold him while he lit the petrol.  Mambo, frightened, got away, but they caught him again and set fire to him.  He was very badly burnt. 

http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/acces-special/actualites/detail/article/1138-un-chien-errant-devient-martyr/retour-actus/1467.html

Many French animal lovers have demonstrated their disgust at this terrible and barbaric act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsDFYkFafxk

It's horrific, how could they do such a thing? There was a similar story in the UK press last week where some evil kids did the same thing to a small friendly pony in a field, it makes me so upset to think that they could do this for a joke.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Yes, that is what is so serious, to them it is a "joke".  Too much virtual, can't tell the difference between that and reality?  Everything and everyone becomes a sort of object?

[/quote]

...........and I saw on the news today that someone got it wrong with some years old UK censorship legislation iro  age restrictions on sex and violence on videos and games and they are going to have to re-do it all.  In the meantime it seems, until they get back from hols and get it right anyone can sell or rent anything regardless of content to kids of any age.

That poor little dog, how he must have suffered and just how inhuman were those young monsters.

I really think many kids cannot tell the difference between real life and cartoons/games.  The violence in some computer games is unbelievable and (obviously) has no repercussions on the player.  And I'm sick to death of hearing snuffling kids of all ages whining: " But I didn't mean any harm........".   They are also seemingly taught these days that if you say "Sorry" in any tone of voice, then everything is fine and all sins are forgiven.  Get real, kids.

What frightens me most is that it appears too late to change things for this whole generation.[:(]

Chrissie (81)

The article doesnt have much to say about the dogs owners, presumably still enjoying their holiday, the Maire has paid for the treatment and the dog has an adoptive owner lined up.

I have travelled in many countries where dogs are regularly abandoned, form feral packs and are treated in a similar manner by some of the populace, as being vermin, beneath contempt, things to hurt to have fun.

Given that these ado's have been brought up in surroundings where the abandonment of dogs each and every summer is seen as normal, sadly their disgusting actions do not come as a surprise to me

The most effective punishment for these ados would be to pour petrol on them and threaten to set fire to them......and the best thing is to pick on the leader and do it in front of his friends. They would certainly get the message.....unfortunately we are not allowed to treat people like that.....

• 2 weeks later...
An article appeared in our local paper with an update:

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2009/08/29/662380-Perpignan-Mambon-le-chien-brule-vif-va-mieux.html

and there is a petition "Justice for Mambo":

http://adoption-chien.vivastreet.fr/adoption-animal+bordeaux-33000/justice-pour-le-petit-mambo-----deja-10145-signatures------/18113378

Jouals

I hope he will be safe in the same environment?  He is going to need such a lot of special care and really hope this lady will do the right thing by him poor little mite - I would have loved to have taken him in for a lovely life here with us.  Sadly, because of where we live, the poor greyhounds/lurchers/whippets etc., shown in your link Mimi, would be very difficult for us to keep in here and we are surrounded with hare in our fields and beyond!  Our fencing would not suffice!  We already have three rescued dogs but little Mambo would have been no extra bother at all.  I would like to be kept in mind should Mambo's adoption fall through.

Did you see little Rubin who was born with a deformed spine and therefore abandoned to fend for himself.  He is looking for a special home!

RUBIN (e)

Rubi est un petit podenco pharao de 2 mois qui est né avec une déformation (déviation) de la colonne vertébrale

son corps présente une bosse sur le côté (voir photo), c'est comme une scoliose aggravée et une malformation également des hanches qui lui donnent une démarche spéciale mais selon le vétérinaire, il peut très bien vivre ainsi.  Le chasseur l'a abandonné à son propre sort

il ne sera adoptable qu'à ses 4 mois.

[quote user="alleycat"]I hope he will be safe in the same environment?  He is going to need such a lot of special care and really hope this lady will do the right thing by him poor little mite - I would have loved to have taken him in for a lovely life here with us.  We already have three rescued dogs but little Mambo would have been no extra bother at all.  I would like to be kept in mind should Mambo's adoption fall through.[/quote]

Why not send a pm to Christine Animal to see if she knows more, or can find out more, than is printed in the newspaper article? I have to say I agree the dog might be better removed from the area where the incident occurred.

Sue

According to today's local paper, la Dépêche du Midi, Mambo's a lot better and is being adopted by a lady who runs a restaurant

The SPA looking after him have received over 7,000€ in donations towards his care, and around 40 letters a day expressing people's outrage & wishing him well

BTY, the paper says he was burned on his tummy and paws, indicating he was also put on his back to be burned - or maybe they started there, he was always asking for cuddles when he met people. Sickos. And as for the person who abandoned him, they're no better says the SPA.