Please help us save the lovely Dogs Being Gassed in Spain

• 3 weeks later...
Bless their little souls!  How I wish I had read your post earlier and knew your proposed route back - you could have dropped a little one off on me without doubt!  I would have been thrilled to take a little old one as it's just what I'm looking for.  I was so fired up about poor little Mambo that it got me thinking that I had room for just one more, a little oldie with a sad tale and little hope of being picked from the crowd of lovable puppies etc.  I contacted my friends at Phoenix, where we got our other three from, but no little ones at the moment.  Sure there will be one along soon but when I saw your little travellers....... I so wish I'd know as you might have been passing close by to us (Rodez) or at least Toulouse which isn't a million miles away!  I congratulate you and your helpers on such a good job well done, marvellous ....  I hope they all find happy homes and have richly deserved happy endings!  I know you can't help them all but it's no reason not to help the few, which is what I have tried to do all my life, having had a wonderful 'family' of rag tag and bobtail mutts pass through my hands enriching my life and those of my family along the years.

Hi Christine, Well done for rescueing those poor dogs from Spain. I already have three dogs but I am seriously considering offering one of your rescue dogs a home. Would it be possible for you to give me some more information on the black and white one that you had on the photo. I am particularly drawn to him for some reason. I live in area 36, perhaps this is too far away from you but I am willing to travel. Two of my dogs are rescue dogs and they arrived with a few issues but we all get along fine now. It was not my intention to have a fourth dog but I cannot bear the thought of your rescue dogs coming through all that they have been through and not finding a home.

Thank you both for your interest.  This has been a joint effort from many rescuers and generous donators.   It has been expensive with the fee to get them out of the pound, the chipping and passport, the boarding kennels until they could leave and then the transport.  But we don't care, we are all happy to be able to save a few.  Six others arrived the week before in the south of France.

Here's the one you picked out Peachy when he was in that awful perrera.

Then in the Spanish boarding kennels

He was rescued with several others by Refuge Fontorbe at Saint Jean d'Angely in Charente Maritime.  If you speak French I can put you in touch with the girl who took care of their rescue, or if you prefer I could be the "go between".

http://www.refugedefontorbe.izispot.com/adoptions__026.htm

As far as I could follow five went directly to new homes and one was brought up to the Charente Maritime.

Alleycat if you would like to rescue a dog that doesn't have much of a chance, have you been to the Toulouse shelter?  I've just had a quick look and at the beginning there's a little ten year old apricot Poodle and on page thirteen another nice little one aged eight.  Here's their site.

http://www.spa-toulouse-refuge.com/index.php

There's even one at Rodez.     http://sparodez.celeonet.fr/

Thanks Christine - will look at the one in Toulouse.  I can only take a little one (the other three are large and the floor space in the bedroom is getting limited!) and it kind of has to be female as I often look after a friend's dogs, one of which is a large entire labrador who will fight with anything male that comes in view!  I'm wondering if a neutered male will be OK?  But I'm on the case and a fourth poor pooch will find refuge with us before too long and discover what fun, comfort and love is all about.

Christine, I have sent you a PM but not sure if you received it. Yes, I can meet Ares at Poitiers on 4th October and he will be welcome to come and join our clan. It will be a pleasure to have him and to know that I have been able to help, even though I can only take one of them. Please let me know any details of when and where. I am really looking forward to meeting him.

• 3 weeks later...
I offered a home to one of these lovely dogs and we now have Ares, the black and white one with us at home. Everyday, is a revelation as he becomes more and more trusting. We are still working hard to reabilitate him and try and let him know that he is now safe. I have to carry him outside for his last toilet run before he retires for the night as I believe he thinks I am going to leave him outside in the dark. Within 5 minutes he is back inside infront of the fire.

What a lucky dog Ares is!  But doesn't it just wrench your heart when you see the uncertainty over every gesture (is it going to be threatening?) or every time they think they might be re-abandoned?  I get so MAD at the people who cause misery and fear like this. 

I bet I'm not the only one looking forward to pics in due course!.....

Chrissie (81)

Peachy, how good to hear Ares's story.  I am sure you will be rewarded 100 fold for your kindness and TLC - poor little mite, he looks so cute too.  I'm keeping a lookout still for a little one to add to our already rescued and happy tribe - had a couple of disappointments recently but there are so many out there that need our help I'm sure it won;t be long before one destined for us will turn up! 

Chrissie, you could't of said a truer word about their uncertainty, just today I got the brush out to sweep the floor and the poor little mite just cowered in the corner. Alleycat, I hope you find your new little dog soon. I will post some photos of Ares as soon as I can get my digital camera to talk to my new computer, at the moment I just cannot get it to load!