Would You Proceed With A Purchase ?

When we signed for our first house, our notaire from a very old fashioned well known cabinet in a big city dealt with us. His hair was a mess, his clothes were not chic, just shabby, but may have cost a fortune, hard to tell and white baskets.

The only thing, I mean the only thing that he rabbited on about was that 'I' had not to peg any washing out in front of the house, but at the back. And he literally went on and on about it.

Our other neighbours, all french, pegged theirs out at the side or front. All the possible problems with regards to access or anything else were brushed over and we were told that there was nothing untoward and the contract was completely normal.... and yet there were, lots of things that were untoward.

Being there, well, maybe our french was not up to it, but even if we had spoken better french back then, I have a feeling that we had been brought up to believe that 99% of the time solicitors were decent and honest people working in our interests and so would not have questioned what we were told.

We learned the hard way what notaires are, and that the french system was so different to anything we were used to. After too many disputes and things  costing what we could ill afford, we realised that really we should have had every last sentence dissected. Who knows with full knowledge, perhaps we would not have bought where we did.

Thank you to those who contributed and responded with their personal opinion of what they would do given our situation. WE have decided not to proceed and at this time, this is the right decision for us. We will monitor events and as this mess unfolds it gives us time to assess economy and opportunities available to us.

With respect, I think that's the prudent decision, Trudi.

Also, if hospitality is your aim, you might find it useful to watch a few episodes of Bienvenue Chez Nous/Bienvenue en Famille (sample here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XnKUtx__BQ).

@Lori & Flaneur, appreciated your informed opinions and experience. We are in a fortunate position where we are currently staying in our second home having sold our main home in London in December. Our final decision will be based on happiness, areas where we can develop, grow and contribute - with a balance of economy, finance and respect for a different culture. The world will be a different place every day and every year but I’d rather be part of that than sit back wondering what we could have done. Who knows !!! Thank you.

I can relate to your reasons Trudi.  When we decided to sell our house in Provence (after 13 years of living there) and return to the U.S.  I was not on board.  It was the hardest thing I've ever done.  There were many personal reasons that impacted that move.

In the end, it worked for a little while.  Then, about 3 years ago, the U.S. became an unrecognizable place to us and we became more and more unhappy there.  We knew we needed to return to France.  We sold the house and left.

At this point, we have chosen not to purchase a property.  We have the luxury of living anywhere we want in France.  So, we are giving the 'big city' a try and now have found a house to rent in Sceaux as of June 2020.  So far, we are very very happy to have made the move.  Grateful to not have a house for sale during this crisis.

So I wish you all the best as you move forward.  I too think you made the right choice in delaying.

Why Sceaux?  Because the house is amazing, offering a lovely small front garden, a fantastic rooftop terrace, 3 minutes walk from the RER B, a beautiful, updated and large house.  We just loved it and we have seen 12 in various suburbs of Paris.  Sceaux is a spectacularly beautiful town and the ease of access to Paris is great.

I don't know where you live, but we have a similar sentiment to being close to Paris, but having a bit of outdoor space and a bigger house than Paris prices allow.

There are many other qualities of life that come into the decision making, but this is a test.  We will be in Sceaux for 3 years.  If we don't like it, we will move elsewhere.

I have lived 'in' Paris two times over the years and lived in Dept 92 (like yourself) two years ago....but more North in Becon les Bruyeres. So I get where you are coming from.

Our home though is just on the limit of Tours.

Tours is often called 'Petite Paris'.

10 mins from the city centre but if you look out of my window you would think I lived in the countryside.

Ah, nice.  I have never been to Tours.  There are many places in France I have never visited.  I hope I'll be able to do so in the coming years.

Having our daughter here living in Issy-les-Moulineaux is also a big plus.

• 1 month later...
I'll remember that wooly when I get to Leroy Merlin in Tours when they reopen, and we are allowed to travel again. I have to go and pick up a load of equipment I ordered weeks ago. So I'll wear an old deep-sea divers suit in case I bump into ALBF. LOL

Yes, I understand that ALBF, but I don't think that collecting bathroom ware is an essential journey. Also, our deal is with Leroy North. still thanks for the info. Next time I go to Ikea I'll drop in for a cup of tea. ??

You won't be able to buy a property in France to at least after September. But even then ???

Everything is shut down.

Hold off for year.

Besides, the house will be worth half its value in a years time.

The economy is just about to crash.

Edit....great minds think alike Idun.

[url=http://irlande28.kazeo.com/tu-recherches-du-travail-en-irlande-voici-une-proposition-a120647466]películas 4k[/url] okey?