Electric fencing

My neighbours have recently electric fenced one side of my garden to keep their donkeys contained. We are worried that the fence could be harmful to my dog? He is getting on a bit now at 10 years old (a springer spaniel) and for 5 years has been used to free range of the back garden. 

My ponies are fenced this way.  Once my 13-year-old chap (the dog) had had a "ping" he respected the fence perfectly well and stayed away from it.  I don't believe there's a great deal you can do about it but hope - unless he has a weak heart he should be OK as the current is DC and theoretically not harmful, afaik.

There is a new house a kilometer away from me where the owners have until last week chained their black labrador up outside all day while they are at work.

Lucky dog it is now no longer chained up but the owner has put up an electric fence and the labrador is a slow learner at least three or four times a day the screaching yelps are blood curdling.

The dog opposite (boxer) is fenced with electric and all we ever hear from him is the constant barking - I've never seen him attempt to get through or over the fence but then he does have loads of space (a hectare or so)to run around in and is well cared for.  Our border collie was very quick to learn also.  I guess it depends how many brain cells your springer has!