Coordonnée de la SPA de Limoges:
Refuge Lucien Berdasé
Avenue du Général Chambe
Route Nieul
87270 Couzeix

Tél : 05 55 48 06 75
Fax : 05 55 48 41 61

Horaires d'ouverture au public :
tous les jours de 14H à 18H sauf le mardi et le dimanche.

Une permanence est tenue 24h/24 et 7j/7 pour accueillir les animaux trouvés.

http://site.voila.fr/spa87/accueil.coordonnees.html (le site n'est pas mis à jour)

Didn't mean for the frown to appear in the title. It was meant to be a puzzled look at the beginning of the question because I'd tried in vain to find their website.

Thank you for the info, it looks like a visit is necessary. It may be that they prefer that rather than having people look at a web page. It look like my heart strings are going to be pulled.

Once again thanks

Jan

I see you are in Charente Jan, so if you don't find what you are looking for at Limoges (though I hope you do, it's supposed to be a good refuge), perhaps you could try the Angoulême one at Mornac which is east of Angoulême in the Limoges direction.

They are closed at Mornac on Sundays and Wednesdays, but open other afternoons.  If you call or go ask for Nadine who was a volunteer at the time some dogs needed rescuing from there.  She is now Présidente, she is wonderful and speaks some English if you don't speak French.  Say Christine sent you.

Refuge de l'Angoumois

Christine,

thank you so much for the information. I knew about SPA because my line dancing group did a demonstation to raise funds for them and Phoenix last year at Bluebell Kennels but I was unaware there was a refuge at Angouleme. I would be happy to visit both centres to see who had a dog who most suited my needs and whose needs I could meet. I am hoping to re-home a female dog preferably between the age of 1 and 4.

Jan

Re animal shelter websites, I found that none of the ones for shelters in our area reflected the dogs currently available for adoption, despite having little labels saying "updated 5th June" or whatever. 

Hope you can find the dog who is waiting for you!  Do let us know.

Chrissie (81)

Morning Jan, we visited the SPA refuges at Gueret and Limoges before making our descision.

Limoges is quite amazing due to its size,there must be about 200 dogs in there and a similar number of cats. We found our Togs at Limoges and are very pleased at the way he is settling in.

Some unfortunately will never be re-homed by the look of them,but there are lots to choose from. Be prepared to be hearbroken though,there are some sad sights.

We wish you luck in your choice and hope you get one like ours. He's a lovely dog and mostly very obedient.We had one incident over christmas where he had a piece of cheese off the dresser,(our fault for leaving out though!!) about 500 grams and only the wrapping to prove who had taken it!!!! Worst bit was that it gave him terminal wind though and he nearly gassed us all:(:(:(

The refuge is well signed from the airport roundabout by the way.

Best of luck anyway.

Johnnyboy.

Hi Johnnyboy

Thank you for taking the time to answer my message.

I am delighted you had such a funny event in your household over Christmas. I'm pleased Togs was okay other then being able to fly a kite unaided. I can just imagine you sat there waiting for the next blow out wearing gas masks. hahahaha

I'll be going to the shelters after New Years Day (was undecided whether to wait until the end of Jan - unwanted Chrissie presents available) but as I don't want a pup I'll probably go sometime next week. I know I'll want them all and come away in tears, hopefully some of the tears will be of happiness.

Hi Chrissie

Thank you for your message. Yes I'm sure it's much better to go rather than look at a website. When I think about it I would rather have all available hands looking after the animals than editing a web site.

I'll be going after the New Years holiday and am prepared to have my heart strings pulled.

Another thing Jan, don't judge the dogs by the way they are in their kennels.  They are not themselves in there with the pack effect and all the barking frenzy.  They can throw themselves at the door as you go by, jump around or cower in a corner.  But once you have got them out and they get back into a normal atmosphere they are completely different.  You can see it as soon as they get into the car and they find real life again.  So don't be afraid to ask to take one out of his cage on the lead and have a walk around with him.

An example of this was Beanz who I rescued from Niort (he is on different threads if you do a search on here).  He was so lively and bouncy that I couldn't even take a photo of him, barking and jumping on top of his kennel at the Niort pound, and that is how he got his name, that I even started to wonder if I was doing the right thing as he would be quite a handful.  But as soon as he got out of there he was a completely different dog, quiet, obedient and loving.  I still get photos and news from Emilie who adopted him, thanking me for bringing them together, and they are inseparable.

By the way, we now have sticky tape on our fridge door.   [8-|]

We just visited the refuges and had a look round.Gueret does do home visits though,to ensure that yours is suitable for the animal.

That can take a while to set up, as they have to get someone near your home to do the checks.

Limoges do not follow that procedure, and we only had to wait until the 12 days were up since he was found.

They also organised his microchip, as he had no identification when found.

They also arranged for him to be castrated, possibly policy due to the amount of strays.

Hope you find what you're looking for and he/she turns out like ours.

Johnnyboy.

Thanks, it isn't a problem for me if they want to visit because my garden is enclosed.

One last question however, is there an english speaker at the shelters, my french isn't bad and I do use it with my neighbours but tthey are used to my northern accent and speak slowly.

I'll let you know what dog I got when she/he is safely at home.

Hi Johnnyboy, Christine and Chrissie

Thank you so much for your help and advise.

I'll keep you informed as to progress and as I live between Angouleme and Limoges it looks like I have the choice of 3 shelters within 50kms.

Jan