Advice ref new (rescue) dog, please

Can anyone give me some advice please? Our much-loved little beagle died very unexpectedly just before Xmas. We are bereft, as is his companion of 6 years, a rescued terrier, who is about 9 ish. I would like another dog, as I think it would be good both for Scout and for me, plus it seems selfish not to,as we have a big garden and we both work from home and already spend about 2 hours a day walking Scout.

My problem is, whilst the beagle was alive, Scout was very much in the background, as the beagle was the alpha dog. Scout is now getting (and seems to be enjoying) all the attention. Is he likely to resent another dog in the family? Would it be better to get another alpha to try and put Scout back in his old position (he chose the beagle from a selection of about 10 at the rescue centre, and we have taken him to the local SPA to look for dogs, but I think he found it quite stressful there, or maybe it was too soon after we lost the beagle). Or should we get a puppy so he is not at all threatened by the newcomer?

In case anyone is wondering, no, he is not waiting for the beagle to reappear, cos he was shown the body and has not done any searching type things.

Has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone have any insights as to what might be best, please?

Thanks.

Over the years I have successfully integrated all manner of rescue dogs together in complete harmony in our home and it's not usually a problem at all.  Most recently we adopted our fourth rescue and the other three were incredibly kind to the new little one who has had an extraordinary bad life for the past nine years and is very nervous of everything and everyone!  I think that in your case I would advise a neutered little lady rescue for Scout to have as a new companion.  It would be very unfair to have him become the 'underdog' again and I think a little girl would make him very happy as there would more than likely be no rivalry at all, just a period of settling in naturally, and then some nice times for you all to enjoy.  Something around the same age would be perfect and you would be doing some lovely creature a real favour as the 'older' ones tend to get overlooked in the rescue centres - also I have found, over and over, that the older ones settle quicker as they are swift to appreciate their new found comforts and good life and soon fit in with the established routine.  I wouldn't hesitate to go and look at the Phoenix Association as they are very good and kind at placing the right dogs for the right homes - also if it doesn't work out they take the dog back and try something else.  We had three from them so please go and look - this is their contact detail :For all adoption enquiries please phone 05.53.54.94.81 or email [email protected]

Just be very careful if you do take on a small female neutered dog. We took on an elderly rescue 3 years ago, Jack Russell/ Chihuahua cross and she thinks she's a Rottie - very dominant. Loyal though, and had had an awful life, I think. Anyway, our other dog, a Bichon Frisé is very laid back so has no problems with Zoe's tantrums.

I hear what Judie is saying and of course this can happen.  Having said that Judie you have a potentially volcanic mixture there of those two breeds - both 'fiery' small breeds if they put their minds to it!  Something more laid back in a cross mix perhaps but again this is why I think Phoenix are so good as they have their dogs with foster homes first and by the time they offer them for homing they already know how the dogs react with other dogs, cats, children, poultry etc.  They can comment on the temperament of the dog in question, if it's an older one, and actually wouldn't advise a dog if they thought it wouldn't settle in the destined environment - also taking into account the garden, fencing and so on.  Puppies are a different matter and don't come neutered either ...... but we took on two of their puppies and an old one after that and they all get on splendidly.  I do hope you get something sorted as it sounds like you could offer a nice home to one of the so many poor creatures that are suffering desperate fates at this time.  Good Luck.

So sorry to hear about your sad loss.

Do go for another dog, and give both animals (and yourselves) time to settle down. The mutts will sort out their own hierarchy, whilst you have to make sure both understand that the real top dogs are the humans.

You don't say where you are, most rescue centres will help you adopt a suitable dog in terms of size, temperament & their previous history.

I am in Carcassonne and despite the huge number of Brits in the area, there don't seem to be any rescue centres or organisations apart from the SPA...They have nothing suitable at the moment (we want a small dog, for sure). If anyone hears of a dog that may be suitable, could they let me know, please?

Thanks for your sympathy. Can't ever remember crying this much. Incredible, the effect animals can have on you, isn't it?

Take a look at this link

http://rescue.forumactif.com/moins-d-une-semaine-pour-les-sauver-f72/urgent-pour-arok-gentil-caniche-5-6-ans-sera-tue-fin-semaine-toulon-var-t266620.htm?highlight=caniche

There are also lots of other dogs on this site waiting for homes, you might just find what you are looking for.