Dog on the autoroute

A lady 'phoned me a little earlier to ask if I had lost a dog and said she had found one on the autoroute. I told her that my two were both safe and here beside me and before I could ask her anything else (my French is bad, slow and hesitant) she thanked me and hung up.

I can't stop thinking about it. For her to have had my number she or someone must know me or my dogs so I wonder if the dog is a Dane or GSD which brings it closer to home so to speak. I keep thinking of the fear of a dog lost on a busy road, was it abandoned or just lost. How I wish I just didn't care about the animals, life would be so much easier.

Megan

If the lady had found it, I am guessing the dog was now safe and if she took the trouble to phone you, she would surely have made sure it wasn't going to be hurt.

I keep myself awake at nights with thoughts like the ones you are having, and it is my husband who has to say all the logical things. So I know what you are going through. Try not to, you will drive yourself crazy.

Easier said than done, I know...

Rowan

• 4 weeks later...
I know exactly how you felt, were stuck in a traffic jam on the bypass and when we got to the emergency service vehicles we could see a golden retriever sitting on the left lane, it was alive, back end was away, obvious it had been clipped, i keep thinking about it, sat there and the gendarme just standing waving on the traffic, horrible things accidents!

"quote the wee p - I know exactly how you felt, were stuck in a traffic jam on the bypass and when we got to the emergency service vehicles we could see a golden retriever sitting on the left lane, it was alive, back end was away, obvious it had been clipped, i keep thinking about it, sat there and the gendarme just standing waving on the traffic, horrible things accidents! - unquote"

Yes, utterly horrible. I was in a "pay per seat" taxi in Singapore going up Orchard Road. There was a GSD type dog in the middle of the road, also alive and struggling to get up on useless back legs. The driver wouldn't stop nor did anyone else and I just watched through the back window as we sped away. That was more than 40 years ago yet I can still see every detail as if it had been yesterday.