What do you think is killing seals

Today's paper suggests they were sucked in to propellers on boats going out to the wind farm off Wells-Next-the-Sea. Apparently the mutilated seals started to be washed up  around the time work started there. It said there are ducted propeller devices on trawlers and tug boats going to and from the wind farm. This type of propeller is surrounded by a metal casing, making it invisible to marine life. The seals are thought to swim in to them head first, and are rotated against the blades, which would apparently explain the corkscrew-like injuries. 38 seals have been washed up off the Norfolk coast. Awful.

Sounds like it Gardengirl.... If so then the boat crews must know when they get one enter a prop shroud  the engine must change note as it slows ..  I suspect they are keeping quiet  about it because modifications to boats cost big money ..  I agree with you its is awful .

[quote user="Gastines"]Unless they were behaving like Lemmings [/quote]

Even Lemmings don't behave like Lemmings.

No animal has a survival strategy that involves mass suicide (except possibly humans?)

The whole 'Jumping of a cliff' thing was dreamt up by that nice Walt Disney corporation with the film crew hearding the poor little bu66ers of a cliff just to make a more interesting film- nice!

I once had one bite my forearm because I was refusing his attentions to my fins, it was soft like a labrador but shocked me at the time.

It was in the Galapagos islands and there they called them fur sea lions, I dont think that they were indigenous just the name, they looked the same to me as the seals at Gansbaii off Capetown, a sort of MacDo's for the great white sharks.

I get even more confused with the names in French, we have phoques (WTF!) ,otaries and otaries de fourrure, does anyone know the difference and/or the equivalents in english?