Adopting a dog what a farce

Afy

We have been trying to adopt a Great Dane for a while now. What a joke dog adoption in France seems to be.

Either there is no one to look at our house to see if we are fit, or the adoption folks just dont seem to be interested.

Worst culprit are the folks at dogueallemandntore.com, the woman in charge just doesnt seem to get it.

In the end I guess we will just buy one, while the adoption agencies 're-home' theirs.

Well wife is French, I am Indian. Work in the UK and commute.

Anyhow have tried some of the UK organisations, No go.

In our case one house checker came with his two beautiful Dane's but no further progress. So This week since I am on vacation will probably get a six to nine month old pup from a breeder. It really is sad.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Good lord, does Macclesfield really exist. I thought it was a ghost town. Now I know why noone will let you adopt a Dane; far too dignified for such a place!![/quote]

There's nothing wrong with Macclesfield, Wooly - but, agreed, it's not a hotbed of gossip and scandal [:D]

Mrs R51

Unless you count in Alderly Edge as well.

Plus the best thing about Macclesfield... is the train to London.

Alos have found our most likely dog:

1. 12 Month old Bringle who can not be confirmed due to having a single teste.

2. 6 month of dougette who is at the breeders.

So tomorrow will finalise on one of them.

Hallo Afy,

What happened to the lovely Laila? I adopted Utopie from Dogue Rescue here in France. They sent out Kate to home check us within days of our application and things went well and quickly with a little language help from Phoenix. Have you tried them?

Don't know if the link will work. Chrome doesn't seem to like forums. You may have to copy and paste.

http://rescuedogue.free.fr/

I also wondered about Laila (though couldn't remember her name like you Anne), but didn't like to ask.

It looks as if you may have found something from your last post Afy, but for anyone else who may like to give a Dane a home, seven year old Assassin (whoever gave him such a name?) urgently needs a home before the end of the month.  He is in Charente and his owner is going into a tiny flat and says he can't take him.  They say he is fine with children and cats, other females, but has not been tested with other males.

http://refugeangoumois.getgoo.net/adoptable-hors-refuge-f39/assassin-dogue-allemand-t3103.htm?highlight=assassin

Laila had a bloat episode in 2008 and wasnt expected to survive, so the doc didnt attach her stomach to the ribs during surgery.

She had another episode in August, and was doing fine after surgery. They removed her spleen, and she was fine. On the third day after surgery her poor little heart gave out.

Nathalie has been devestated by this, and which is why we have now gotten Fidji.

http://geantsdebourdoux.chiens-de-france.com/site_eleveur/index.php?rub=portees&page=detail&ID_ELEVEUR=12962&ID_SITE=14448&ID_PORTEE=57938&avenir=0

Christine we did look at various dogs and options for adopting, and the wife finally decided to get Fidji. We get her home at the end of the month.

I am so sorry Afy, to read about Laila, I lost my adored Utopie just over a year ago and, like Nathalie, I was devasteted and still think about her and miss her one way or another every day.  Like you, I got another (well two actually) almost immediately and love them both.

I am so happy for you that you have found Fidji and she looks beautiful.  Still a puppy of course, all that beautiful bone and knobbly joints, she is just gorgeous.  Good luck for getting her home.[:D] 

Christine yes last month, on the 13th of August.

The bed feels so empty without her snuggling up and fighting for the blanket and space, that I have trouble sleeping.

I am back to the UK until October, and Fidji will be here when I get back.