Pregnant dog

Anyone know what you do if you think a dog may be pregnant? Pups must be avoided at all costs. The dog may have been "taken" within the last couple of days, but no one is sure. She is certainly on heat I know there is an injection you can give after 14 days, but what if you don't know the precise date of the deed? And will it harm the dog if she isn't pregnant? And if she is going to be sterilised in any case, can a vet get rid of any pups the same time as he sterilises to avoid further trauma to the dog?

And before people accuse me of being irresponsible, not my dog. They did a male/female mix at the SPA due to lack of space, and I think it has backfired.

Thanks for any advice.

We have a rescue dog who was found in the Dordogne during the rabies scare a few years ago.   She had to stay there for a month in between vaccinations and so we asked them to sterilise her while she was there - when the vet did the operation he discovered that she was pregnant and removed the pups at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, for all those of you who thought (like me) that husband would never relent, I am proud to announce the arrival of Bella (named in honour of Diana, for those of you who know), and as of today, no longer pregnant (or able to become pregnant).

She is beautiful. Only day one, but busy settling herself in with the other two and destined to have a lovely life, that I can guarantee!

Thanks to everyone who gave me the courage to force hubby's hand (Merlin, Christine Animal inter alia). It is working out well, he is already besotted.

Pics to follow.

Needless to say, and Rowan knows, I am thrilled to bits for all concerned, especially, as it happens, the now besotted husband!  It's amazing how a dog can creep into the most reluctant of hearts and fill it with joy and emmotion.  Lovely Bella, she's a lucky dog and deservedly so.