Garden not enclosed

I have a friend at school who just loves animals , she knows I have two dogs and a cat and she said to me she'd love to have a dog but her garden is not enclosed.

Do you think it may be possible for her to find an animal that wouldn't run away ?

In my case, it is strictly impossible, one of my dogs is a cross lab/husky, running away is his favourite occupation, ... As if we did not give him enough love !! [:(] ............................ [:)]

Can I make a heartfelt plea not to encourage your friend to get a dog without containing it in some way.

I have worked long and hard to make my garden dog-proof.  Not that I have a dog or would ever have one but I had to do something to keep out the many living nearby whose owners see fit to ignore them all day and let them roam free.  They all think my garden and courtyard is a splendid place for a toilet and sometimes the amount and smell was unbelieveable.  I hardly need to mention how I felt when arriving when it was dark and driving over and stepping in some choice 'presents'.  It's better now but I still need to be careful when cutting the grass.

Please don't let your dogs roam free, it's not fair to the rest of us.

I never suggested that !

I know some dogs stay home even if the garden is not enclosed, ( as do the bar owners' dogs for instance) . And I wondered if there was a breed that was well known for that sort of behaviour.

My friend is a responsible person, ans the fact that her garden is not enclosezd is the reason why she has no dog .

Our gardens are not enclosed and we have a Jack Russel. The only time he has gone walkabout is when the bitch up the road was in heat. We also look after friends dogs (scotties) when they are on holiday and never have them go walkabout - it all depends how you train them. Our nearest neighbour has a totally harmless stupid cross breed  thing that is always out and about but their kids are very much the same.

I have a Working Cocker Spaniel and my garden in Charente Maritime is not enclosed.  We have gates but the neighbours more often than not leave the gates open.

My dog would hardly go out of the house into the garden without one of us. 

Now in the Dordogne, my garden is totally enclosed and she does in fact goes out to the garden for very short periods (minutes) because I think she feels more secure with all the fencing.

Hard to say about breeds, Frenchie, I think it's more to do with the dog's personality.  Mine is quite a clingy, anxious little dog and she has to keep one of us within sight at all times.

Our garden in France is not enclosed. When we first bought the house we had two dogs and it most definitely was a problem particularly for our little dog . Sadly we lost our beloved large dog (cancer) and since then the little one more or less lost his bravado. I think he had loads of it when he had his big brother to back him up. [:(] It isn't a problem with our little dog now (13 years old) but I would feel very nervous about getting another dog because of not having a secure garden.

I hate to say this particularly if she would want to rescue but my vote would be to advise her not to get one. It would b very sad if the dog had to spend its days chained up or worse in an accident.

To my knowledge, Albert, she's never been known to do any work in her life.

However, we inherited her and that was her breed as stated on her birth certificate.  I understand she is smaller and shorter than the average cocker spaniel because she is meant to raise pheasants and so forth out of bushes.

Me, what do I know about her, except that she's now got us both pretty well trained to do her bidding.

My beloved spaniel  (died last year) was also a Working Cocker Sweet, never knew we had that in common!  He would also not wander, never, even on a walk he was always within 10 feet of me.  The rescue I have now, who is a Griffon  de Vendee would take off at a moments notice and will actually enter anyones house/garden/tent(!) to have a nose, she's an independent cuss, and so I feel, as others have said it depends on the dog, I don't treat her any differently than I did my old spaniel but she has a mind of her own and is very much scent driven.

Also Sweet just like yours my dog was scared of his own shadow yet bred by the local gun shop owner as a gun dog, he would poop himself if you dropped a spoon so would never had been the champion his mum was, does make you wonder how they develop such traits since he never had any stress in his life, and mum was a champion gun dog so neither nuture or nature made him a woose so what did?

Yes, Panda, mine was also bred to be a gun dog, LOL!

Guns?  A bit of thunder and she is cowering and trembling all over.  I don't think she'd have been any good at the work she was supposed to do.

Like your spaniel, she also wouldn't let you out of her sight when out walking.

No worries about losing her or having no enclosures.

Now we have a fully enclosed garden but she's no braver:  might chance the odd few minutes out as long as one of us stands by the front door or the verandah where she can see us.

Don't know why she is such a dreadful worrier.  I think she was left alone a lot by the previous owners and she also had lots of different au pairs, cleaning ladies, dog walkers and so on and she didn't have consistent discipline or affection.  But, that's just my take on it and I might be completely wrong.

If your friend doesn't want to put up fences etc, the invisible fence is an excellent way to go and works brilliantly. Just need to bury cable around an area you want the dog to stay in and put a zapper collar on it. After a while the dog learns the boundary and never goes near it.

But you have to make sure to take the zapper collar off the dog before taking it for walkies!

We have a rescue mix and don't have an enclosed garden. I think it's down to the owners not the dog. If you take the time to exercise your dog properly and train them not to run away and where they are allowed to go to relieve themselves you would be fine. Our dog rarely goes on a lead.

Well, I'd like to believe you.. But from day 1 the vet told me that my big cross labrador /husky would be a run away .. I ve tried my best, but with no success,..  I have a fully enclosed garden now, it cost me money, but I have peace of mind.............