Pedigree English Setter SPA Carcassonne

Hi All This is Alex dit Athos. He is a pedigree English setter, who will be 6 in March. He is a beautiful dog, who was found wandering miles from home, and all attempts to reach his owner have failed. He is chipped and vaccinated, but really needs a new home, as his good breeding means he is a bit sensitive for a refuge. He is quite boney, probably due to stress, but otherwise is in good health. He gets on with other males and cats and is fine on the lead. Can anyone offer him a new home? His SPA number is EE675 and you can either call the SPA direct (0468 253545) or contact me! Many thanks Rowan

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/rowan1965/IMG_1160.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/rowan1965/IMG_1168.jpg[/IMG]

When I walked Alex yesterday it was clear that he is suffering quite badly in the kennel. He really needs more personal attention than he can possibly get there, having to share with about 100 other dogs....

As I said, he is good with other dogs, as well as cats and people of all ages. And he is truly magnificent.

Good luck for Alex Rowan- it's heart breaking, hope someone comes forward for him very soon.  Glad to see Merlin has him on her site too!

(We have a traumatised setter in the Refuge in Cahors at the moment - tragic story - elderly owners killed in a head on car crash. The dog was with them but survived unharmed and was brought straight to the Refuge where he is in a state of shock.  The son of the couple cannot keep the dog - we hope to re-home him asap too.)

Jouals

When you can, give me his details Jouals and a picture and let's get him on the page.  I am so excited about Ezia today........hope to have pictures of her in her new home very soon for my Waggy Tales page!  Let's see what we can do for this poor setter then.

• 2 weeks later...
This is really urgent now. Alex is still losing weight, although there is nothing wrong with him medically. He is just not made for a refuge. He is going to die of sadness...

Or if anyone knows of an Association that will officially adopt him, we have a foster home for him.....

Thanks

Rowan - would it be worth contacting one of the English setter rescue organisations in the UK?  (Maybe www.englishsetterrescue.org.uk or

www.englishsetterassociation.co.uk/rescue, or one of the regional rescue groups through the Kennel Club at http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/club/rescue/Default.aspx?breed=2033). If you have a foster home available for him in France while he gets passported and has his rabies shots, then I'm sure it would be possible to get someone to take him across the channel when he is ready.  I for one would be willing to chip in towards the cost of his shots.  I think any breed rescue organisation worth its salt would find it hard to let one of their own - and such a lovely dog, too - die of a broken heart.

Val

Hi everyone

We have found an association willing to get him out and we now have someone to look after Alex while he is recovering. He still needs a permanent home, but at least we have bought him some time.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and helpful comments. And if anyone thinks they could offer Alex a forever home, please contact me. He will be in much better shape than he is now, we hope!

Thanks again

Rowan

Hi

I have just seen your site by chance- we are experienced owners of an English setter - who live in Greenwich London-

He looks so like our dog who died about 18 months ago aged 15.

I think he must be a field setter rather than a show type.

Do we live  too far ? We could pay for the vaccinations passport etc and come to get him

We know the temprement ,  they need special handling and understanding to achive a confident dog.

We live a street away from Greenwich park which provides  a huge safe space for letting a dog run and exercise.

Hi Rowan,

It's a heart-rending tale. But it comes as we are anxious to fill the gap left by the death from old age of our English Setter Holly.We live in the beautiful Towy Valley in South Wales with countryside all around and would like to offer Alex a permanent home with love , excercise and all a dog could wish for . I don't know what exactly would be needed to bring him to Golden Grove but I'm sure the forum and any setter association would help. We would make every effort to travel wherever needed. "We"  includes my wife and myself, in our sixties, and we live in a large country house along with four cats and a pet peacock.I am a working broadcast journalist with BBC Radio Wales and my wife is an even harder working housewife permanently at home so there would always be someone to help Alex through his recovery.We can be contacted on  01558 668654.

Gilbert John

There seems such a wave of goodwill and practical help on offer for Alex, which is very good news.  I do hope some things are happening behind the scenes, as it were, and that the forum will be updated when there is some positive news.  Has Alex gone to his temporary foster home yet?

Hi everyone

To keep you all up to speed. We nearly lost Alex last week. He had some kind of convulsion in his cage and another volunteer and I rushed him to the vet, where he stayed overnight on a drip. It was awful. I kissed his head and told him not to give up, but I honestly never thought I would see him again.

However he has an incredible desire to live. All kinds of tests have been taken and we are awaiting results. At the moment he has no kidney function, but that may be due to anorexia and may be recoverable. He is being kept warm and is in the cat house at night...However this morning when I popped in, he was in the park, wagging his tail at me! This boy wants to live!

We don't feel we can get him out till we know what the prognosis is. We just cannot let him be adopted without people knowing what they are letting themselves in for; it is just not fair. Looking after a sick dog that you have had for years is one thing, but taking on a sick dog is a different kettle of fish.

I am praying that it will be good news, tho, and that we can get Alex out of there and to someone who will love him and care for him, even if it is not for very long. The expense (as yet unknown) may be the deciding factor.

Thanks for your interest, I am cheering loud and hard for this boy, he is a fighter (in the NICE way).

Rowan

The latest is not good. Alex has leischmaniosis. This is so upsetting, as it is irreversible. Apparently the best that can be done (with drugs) is keep it at bay, but Alex is clearly quite far gone, with very little kidney function.

So distressing, as he has such a lust for life...He is spending his days out in the park in the sunshine and his nights in the cat house, where it is warm, and he is obviously feeling much better...He barks happily when he sees me and the other volunteers, as he knows he is about to get a cuddle.

I do not know what can be done for him now. Anyone any experience of this? I know it is a matter of time before the suffering means he has to be put down. Part of me would like him to go out happy, tho. Until the mosquito season starts there is no risk to other animals, so the SPA can keep him, but in a way what is the point?

I really don't know what to say or do. Sorry the news isn't better.

Rowan

So sorry to hear the problems Alex is facing. By chance I found the note
below while looking up the disease by name::

A NEW vaccine against the parasitic disease leishmaniasis not only
prevents the disease in dogs, it can cure them too.
The experimental vaccine was developed by researchers at the French
Institute for Research and Development in Montpelier, who report their
results in Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol 106, p 247).
They are now planning safety trials of the vaccine in people.
Visceral leishmaniasis, which kills 200,000 people a year, is carried
mainly by dogs, and spreads to people via sandflies. The drugs used to
treat people with the disease are toxic, and the parasites are becoming
resistant. Tackling the disease using drugs only increases resistance.

I know nothing more about this and whether it helps dogs but perhaps
somebody else in the forum can advise on whether this is true and
available.Could Alex be included in any trial programme. A forlorn hope I
know but....

Best wishes.

Rugbygrampa