URGENT HELP NEEDED TO REHOME TOBY

We would like to rehome Toby, a cross Lurcher. Toby is now 2.1/2 years old, chipped and with a current passport. Toby was left with us when his owner returned to England saying he would be back when his passport was valid. Shortly afterwards he said he did not want Toby. Toby is house-trained and loves a cuddle. We have persevered with Toby for nearly two years and he is very good with our other dogs and cats. He is a large dog and not good with all our other animals (goats, chickens etc) so needs to go to a home without these types of animals. If you can help by rehoming Toby it would be most appreciated. We would prefer him not to go to the SPA as he is a lovely dog but not suitable for our home and animals. [IMG]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae268/patricia-crabb/toby014.jpg[/IMG]

Yes he is. Very cuddly and loving. He is very good with children and our other dogs and cats. However, his downfall is the smaller animals. In the last few weeks he has killed my three rabbits, our best laying chicken and tried to kill a baby goat that we are hand-rearing. On saying this he would be ok with a family without these other pets. I hope we find somewhere soon for him but as yet we have had no response.

Patricia

• 1 month later...
Just to let you know that Toby is still waiting for a new home. As yet we have had no response for him and time is not on our side. Our farmer neighbour will shortly be bringing his sheep and lambs down into the field next to us and we will be on tenterhooks all while they are there. Apart from the smaller animals Toby is fine. So if you do not have rabbits, guinea pigs, baby goats and lambs please consider giving him a forever home.

Best regards - Patricia

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Merlin"]Does Toby have an up to date UK passport then?
[/quote]

".....chipped and with a current passport....." seems pretty clear to me.
[/quote]

No, it's not clear Jay.  A current European passport is not valid for the UK unless the dog has had the positive rabies blood test result and the six months' wait.

Otherwise it is only valid for this side of the Channel.  That is what Merlin was querying.

I was under the impression all that was needed for travel within continental Europe was proof of valid

rabies vaccination, chipped and passport suggests to me UK type passport. Perhaps the OP can clarify.

[quote user="Merlin"]Christine underlined exactly what I was getting at

[/quote]

Well it's nice that your little clique knows what you were getting at, I didn't and I would think lots of people looking to take on a dog didn't know either. Still with all your contacts you probably don't need the rest of us reading this thread!

For anyone not au fait with the EU passport system for pets here is the LINK

Wow, how unnecessary was that little acid comment??  We ALL pull together when it comes to helping the dogs, no such thing as 'little cliques' !!  I was merely asking about whether it was a valid UK passport as it makes a big difference and your initial comment to me, making out it seemed pretty clear to you (and therefore why not me!), was trite and unnecessary also!  What is the matter with you?  We sometimes know of people who specifically ask for dogs that have current UK passports......... hence my reason for asking AND to which I still have no answer!  Be blowed, I'll not bother another time!

For travel to the UK the pet has also to have a blood test for Rabies antibodies, approx three weeks following the initial Rabies vaccination.  If this is positive then a Pet Passport is issued.  The pet may not re-enter the UK until six months following the positive blood test.  Having a Pet Passport does not signify being allowed to enter the UK without quarantine.

Sorry about the delay in replying. Yes, Toby has a full passport that will allow him to travel to the UK. He is fully vaccinated and ready to go. He has been chemically castrated which will last until about July. He is also chipped and we have the paper to transfer his ownership. We did not transfer him to our name as we thought we would have been able to rehome him before now. His next rabies jab is due in January next year. He does have the positive blood test result. So as I say, he is fit, well and ready to go.

Regards - Patricia

Oh dear oh dear...

Can understand why Merlin wanted this to be crystal clear;   but I must admit when I first read the post I understood that it was an English owner, who had returned to the UK, but would be coming back to France to collect the dog and for both owner and dog to go/return to the UK.

However, Merlin was right to need it clarified;    Merlin does sterling work, she has to be certain of her facts - she was just getting an 'assumption' confirmed....

My oh my, aren't there some nit-pickers here sometimes.    The sun's shining, the sky is blue, the house-martins and swallows are back, summer's nearly here....why nit-pick ?

Merlin and her supporters do fantastic work - wonder if that could be said about all of us ?

Chessie

[quote user="chessie"]Oh dear oh dear...

My oh my, aren't there some nit-pickers here sometimes.

Chessie

[/quote]

There certainly are!

If I was taking on another dog I would not expect it to have a pet passport, nice bonus if it had. The last dog we rescued was from an owner returning to the UK. It had an up to date vaccine record but not a passport.

Thank you Christine for trying to help.

I cannot understand why the situation with regard to Toby was not clear. I did say that his owner had returned to the UK with the promise of returning to collect Toby when his passport was valid for travel to the UK - ie: when the six months wait was up after the bood test, etc. I also said that the owner, after a while, said he did not want Toby. In fact, he did say get him put down. This we could not do as, apart from the problem with other small animals, he is a lovely dog and deserves to have a good life in a more suitable home. We also had his brother to rehome but he was more successful.

So if there is anyone out there with anymore queries with regard to Toby please contact me and I will do my best to answer.

Regards - Patricia

Thanks for your email Patricia - don't worry about all the 'exchanges' on here - it happens sometimes and it's best to ignore.  The important thing is Toby and I have passed his details on to some contacts in the hope that their websites might attract some interest also.  Unfortunately a lot of us in rural areas are surrounded by all sorts of tempting animals for those dogs who have the strong hunt/kill instrinct  in them and it's hard to contain them for sure and I do see your problem and urgency.  Local farmers and neighbours will not take kindly to him chasing ewes in lamb and with lambs at foot and will not hesitate to get their shot guns out.  He could do to be a coastal dog with lots of beaches to run about on.........with this in mind - have you thought of logging on to AngloInfo in the coastal regions and posting his details there?  An energetic family with no small pets.  We'll keep at it for him.

Many thanks for that Merlin.

Yes I have put Toby on Angloinfo also. Tried this route last year without any reponse at all - but here's fingers crossed.

Let us hope Toby does not have to wait too long before he has a permanent and loving home.

Regards - Patricia