Pip - tiny, old and now alone

Firstly, I am pleased to report that Pip has turned a corner that 24 hours ago I never thought he would!  As I write he's pottering round the garden on his own - I am so pleased.  Last night we both managed to get some sleep and he was a lot less disturbed and fretting.  Today his is eating small amounts every couple of hours (special senior diet moist meat which he loves and pounces on the minute he sees the bowl) and finding his bearings round the house and now the garden.  I am pretty sure he's way older than 12 judging by his boney fragile frame and the way his joints crack a lot.  Still picking the odd tick off him and his ears, eyes and skin are going to need a lot more TLC, but slowly slowly, he might just get there.  He is managing to get around on his own which is what he seems keen to do and is obviously used to toppling over once in a while - he's coping!  I will take him to the vet on Saturday for a look over but to be honest I really don't want to mess him around too much till he's a bit stronger if possible.  I just want him to 'feel' the freedom, the comfort, the love and the change of his circumstances after goodness knows how long this little mite has been battling to stay alive.  He shows no signs of being happy yet - like tail wagging etc., but he's definitely less stressed and confused, so that will do for the moment.  I have not given him any more medication as he seems bright enough now but I suspect he could do with a bit of an Metacam to ease his old bones along - the vet will no doubt say what we should do there.  For the moment he is getting fish oil as a start.

Now, I must add something here about the SPA at Carcassonne.  Rowan has already said that Pip was bathed and cuddled as often as possible during the two weeks or so he was there and to be fair they didn't know we were collecting him on that day and also, they do what they can, but there is only so much they can do........  There are so many sad cases in there as in any refuge and the volunteers are amazing there - they really make such a difference and but for them, a lot more dogs and puppies would suffer a great deal more than they do!  I don't blame the refuge for Pip's state - his poor condition happened long long before he finally ended up being brought into the SPA!  Hence my feelings of anger towards people who had let him get in this state and THEN abandoned him!  For whatever time he has left, he will have the best a dog can have and it's sad to say, but his good fortune was to end up in the SPA in the first place, as for sure left wandering he would never have survived!  He's a tough little guy he tells me and so he'll make the best of whatever we can do for him for however long he has - I can see him out of the window, padding through the flower beds!  The one thing that worries me is that he never seems to want to just sit and flop and chill.....?

I will be posting pictures soon - it's a heartbreaking fact that there are lots more out there in Pip's condition that will never make it to a safe haven of comfort and care....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Rowan, I know how much you do and must have misunderstood on reading this.

"We got him home and had to clip off the matted hair to expose open sores beneath and we took 36 ticks off him before we bathed him and then had to let he be despite knowing there are probably more lurking."

So glad to hear he is better today, had been worried and waiting for news.

While you're around Rowan, Geisha is fine and enjoying life.  Could you please ask them to send her identity card as I don't seem to have received it.  Many thanks.

Pip is in safe hands now - but well done to everyone who helped this little lad along the way!!  We are all hoping he can pull round and find some happiness.  I know how hard it is in a Refuge to give every dog all the TLC it deserves - an impossible task for those who work and volunteer in Refuges - but everyone does his or her best and battles on!! 

Keep at it!!

Jouals

It's my fault Christine for not making it clear that the poor little man had already had one bath and trim, I was pretty bushed when I wrote that one - they did what they could in the time available and I am very grateful as what we still had to do was bad enough!  He was so good poor little mite but his coat is such a mess it's going to take more than a couple of baths to put right!  At least now I think we have all the ticks and for sure he's more comfortable and certainly smells a lot nicer to cuddle!  He's had a busy day pottering and objects to being put in his nest in his cage in the living room for naps!  He must be exhausted keeping up all this trotting about......... wonder if he's got dementia and can't just sit and chill?  Time will tell. 

To be honest, it was hard to know what to do while he was still with us at the refuge. After the bath we did as much de-tangling and de-ticking as we could and I am so sorry Merlin still had so many to deal with. We did Frontline him, so some of them may have left of their own accord. I have to reiterate that he was bathed because we thought it would make him more comfortable (his tail was matted to his body so he was unable to move it) and it wasn't done just cos he was due to leave, cos at the time we didn't know. We are trying to treat as many dogs with Frontline as we can, as the place is overrun. Lots of the cost of this falls to us volunteers, as the SPA is veery short of funds.

Ultimately tho you have to decide if continuing to cut fur off a dog who is getting distressed is the way to go. I went for the option of treating him with Frontline and hoping he would feel better with half a haircut than he had done before any of it was done.

Ref the papers for Geisha, Christine, they will come from the Central Canine in Paris. The SPA cannot hurry this process up. If Geisha becomes lost, the Central Canine will contact the SPA who will contact you, so that will close the loop before Paris completes its work.

Glad she is fine.

I know the process Rowan.  I just wondered if the SPA had done anything about it since February.  No hurry, I hope she will never get lost!

For the ticks, have you tried treating the inside of the kennels rather than or as well as the dogs?  I know there's not much to be done about them in the long grass, but I remember where we were before the SPA was invaded by them inside their kennels and there was no grass about, just cement.

I know old dogs and even younger ones can get distressed being groomed and have to do it bit by bit.  Merlin, as you say, it's early days yet and Pip may be wandering about in an Alzheimer like way, or he may just be feeling free and trying to find his way around and even, being very determined, hoping to find his home.  He obviously deosn't know you yet, nor where he is and will never be able to understand why.  It's true, the very oldies don't seem to wag their tails much.  But one day when you pick him up to take him in you will see his ears sort of drop a little and an expression in his eyes (difficult to describe) which means "oh, I was feeling a bit lost roaming around the garden, it's good to know you're there".

Then later on when you pick him up and hold him against you, speaking gently to reassure him, he will probably turn and lick your face to say "I know you now, you are good and kind to me.  Thank you".

I know Merlin you of all people will understand what I'm trying to say.  You have as I do a special feeling for the oldies and the ones nobody wants as they are far from perfect. Maybe there is something wrong with us too, but who cares!    [:D]

Well, the SPA sent the papers off in February, so I think it is just a question of waiting. It can take ages, I know. It did with my two.

Yes, we have treated the concrete kennels, but I don't think the treatment is too effective, as the employees have to hose the kennels out twice a day, and I guess that washes the product off. We try treating the grass parks too, but it is not very effective either.One solution is never to put the dogs out, but they love running round off the lead, so it seems a bit unfair.

What we are doing now is Frontlining each dog as it goes back to its kennel after either a walk or some time in the park. Gradually we will get to them all, but we have LOTS of dogs, needless to say.

And I HATE finding ticks on myself, which I do almost every evening. Sometimes they are even "dug in" as it were. I am thinking of getting a scalibor collar for myself!!!

I got very fond of Pip while he was there, as Merlin knows. I am so happy he is with her being loved.

update on Pip yes - well the little fella has come on well physically, eating well, back on his feet, free of ticks and generally putting on weight. However, mentally he is not doing that well. He recognises me and will follow me around indoors now BUT, and this is what is worrying me, he is like an overwound up clockwork toy and just continually trots around all over the place without aim. He's exhausting himself doing it and will not settle at any price so I have to keep putting him in his cage in the living room in the cool to rest..... but he barks and turns circles in there too! I explained to the vet and he gave me some tablets to oxygenate the brain more to see if that will help him to focus more on his surroundings, but so far no change. He's very determined on his crusade whatever that might be poor little mite and it doesn't seem to include us! He sniffs occasionally whilst roaming round the garden but his sight is not good and neither is his hearing which is to be expected. I plan to give him another week and then take him for the vet to assess and give a verdict on what we should do in Pip's best interests - it pains me that he can't seem to enjoy his new found comforts and cuddle up with me on the sofa and relax. For the moment he is getting yummy food which he eats with relish three times a day and is now spared the heat and discomfort of the scratching from his matted fur and what must have quite appalling for him at the refuge. I will take some pictures but bear with me as have just changed computers and struggling a bit with a new set up!

Merlin, thank you so much for the update. I am sure this is such a long shot but perhaps worth mentioning, my little dog is 13 and he suddenly started showing very strange (similar) behaviour. I normally have to go back and forth very often from UK to France and because of this haven't had the need to give my dog worming tablets because this is necessary for his passport. But I had to keep extending my last stay in France and my poor dog developed worms. [:(]  I am now sure it was the worms because he suddenly became very frightened of certain noises and could never appear to relax always showing signs of stress and jumpiness, scratching, hiding and running out of the room etc..

The vet gave him the worming tablet and said to give him another dose in one month which I did and his behaviour is almost back to normal. we initially though he was showing signs of dementia so are very happy that wasn't the case. Having said that he is showing signs that his hearing and sight isn't as good but we  seem to have him back now that the worms have been treated.

I will keep my fingers crossed for little Pip, it must be very upsetting for you. thank you again for keeping us updated.

WJT hi and thanks for your comments. Sadly I doubt this is the case with Pip as I wormed him the day he arrived with Drontal Plus and check his motions daily for signs of trouble.... he will get another dose in a couple of weeks according to the vet and then again in another month etc. It's true that worms can be responsible for all sorts of health issues that you might not think of and I am not in the least surprised to read of your experience with your pensioner! Glad he's back with you now though - bit of luck and I hope he lives on for a good while yet! Pip is sleeping as I write and with this heat so are all the rest of them thankfully - the advantages of cool stone floors very welcome when it's like this.

Merlin, thank you for your comments and your wishes for my little old man.[:)] I also just wanted to add because I forgot to say that it has taken over a month after giving our dog the first Drontal and the second one last week before we started noticing an improvement in his behaviour. It has only been a few days since his improvement.

Right - well I'm not planning on giving up on him just yet and he's no trouble, just want him to have the best quality of life possible. Thanks for your help and concern - will keep the updates coming when I have something new to report.

Merlin, I know this sounds ridiculous coming from someone with such limited experience with dogs, I only have my one little one! I know the chances of this being the same problem with Pip are minute but after reading how he is acting I couldn't help but tell you what I have experienced  for months until a few days ago. We are elated because it was breaking mine and my husbands heart to see him like that.

It just sounds very similar to what my little dog did. (Sorry if I am being too descriptive!) But I noticed before the first Drontal,1/4 of the tablet (the vet saw a few as well) that he had a few tiny white worms on the fur on his backside. But I never saw any in his stool and after the first tablet never saw anymore on his backside,  nor did I ever see any at all in his stool after this as well which I find strange, but he continued to behave in a very stressed manner until a few says ago less than a week after his second tablet.

As I said I am sure it is totally different with Pip and do hope he recovers, if not he is very lucky someone as wonderful as you and your husband cares for him at the end of his days.

• 2 weeks later...
Update- sorry but I have been without broadband for nearly 10 days now! Grrr it's so frustrating and Orange have been so very unhelpful I despair as having to rely so heavily on technology! Anyway to Pip. Well this little fellow has put on lots of weight and is a little more relaxed ....... however..... I get the gut feeling that he's winding down. He clearly no longer feels the urgency to survive, which is good in some ways as he looks more peaceful when he sleeps for much longer periods now - and whilst he continues his constant trotting round the garden he's not got that wild searching look in his eyes. He's not eating as well at the moment, could be the heat, but he adores scrambled eggs and ham! And why not? If this little chap hasn't much longer to go then I am going to make sure he has treats. He still can't bring himself to cuddle up on my lap in the evenings for more than a minute, but licks my cheek as he wriggles to be put down as if to apologise for his brain relentlessly driving him on. He's quite taken my heart and reduces me to tears when I hold his twisted little body and wonder how bad his life has been! My love and caring came too late for this little dog but he does at least know it for now and for however long he has left.

Merlin -  your posting brought tears to my eyes, too.  It must be heartbreaking for you to realise that although Pip has made such progress, this is as good as it is going to get, and not for very long either.  But he is an old dog, probably well into his teens, and he is now comfortable, safe, well-fed, much loved and increasingly relaxed and accepting - not a bad way for any dog to end its days.  Thank heavens you saw him when you did and were able to take him in:  even if he is only with you for a very few months that time will I am sure erase many of his bad memories and he will be aware instead that life - even as it slips gradually away - is pretty good really.  I know you have a special place in your heart for the older ones who have suffered and they all come with bad experiences which you can only do your best to replace with happier ones for the time they have left.  It's a hard path to follow but you are caring for the ones who get passed over or forgotten and so what you do is especially valuable.  I guess sadness comes with the territory but when it does just remember that the work you are doing is making a very real difference.  As it says at the bottom of Christine's  posts  " Saving the life of one animal may not change the world but life will surely change for that one animal".  And it certainly has done for little Pip.

Val

OOOOh thank you for your words of comfort - don't know why I feel a bit weepy about him today! I have taken some pics for you all to see but I need my hubby to get them off the camera for me and he's off down to Carcassonne today getting two other lovely sad cases out to travel them on the first leg of their journey to safe homes we have found for them! So will post them soon - just seen him trot past the window, dear little man, must go and gather him up for his afternoon kip!

I know my husband is a gem when it comes to the dogs! He has the usual irritating male traits though, but I can forgive most of them when I see him chortling to one of the dogs when he thinks I'm not looking!

Just think Merlin, Pip may well have not survived this long without you - any time he has now with you is a wonderful gift for him - enjoy him while you can - I am sure he is so much happier in his own way - scrambled egg and ham - yum yum!!  Good luck to you and OH with the next lot!  Every one counts!

Jouals

Trying again! Dont usually have a problem but then again the past two weeks have a been a technological hell..... nope it's not happening - it looks just fine and correct in the post box but when I hit the button to post it.... it comes out completely different! comme ca... weird

[IMG]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab161/squarepeg2010/IMG_1671.jpg[/IMG]