Pip - tiny, old and now alone

I've named him Pip and am beside myself with sorrow for this little dog who arrived at the SPA in Carcassonne two weeks ago.  Just look at him :-

http://doglinks.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/pip-how-does-this-happen/

I know this happens all the time all over the place but when I saw his face today I could have wept.  Rowan is going to get him out of his cage for me today and give me a bit more information about him if she can.  But he 's unclaimed after two weeks and he's timid and confused and basically being left to get on with it.  He's not pretty and he's very old....not a lot more to say I suppose except that I want to help him get out and find some love and safety.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think my husband is getting that sinking feeling in his stomach this morning as I keep carping on about Pip..........I can't leave him there!  If I manage to get him out then I am sure I will have to promise to find him a good home...........but we can do that.... can't we?

[quote user="Merlin"]Think my husband is getting that sinking feeling in his stomach this morning as I keep carping on about Pip..........I can't leave him there!  If I manage to get him out then I am sure I will have to promise to find him a good home...........but we can do that.... can't we?
[/quote]

Good girl Merlin!   [:)]

To me he just looks frightened, confused and defeated...but I guess everyone interprets a picture in their own way.  He is surely a mix of breeds so I doubt if any breed rescue would be interested in taking him on.  But there may be someone who has space with their other dogs by the hearth (only a very little space needed!)  to let him live out the rest of his life in peace and comfort. And Merlin - not only are you an absolute marvel, so is your husband!  I seem to remember that he is picking up dear old Tango from Carcassonne this week, so I somehow feel he will be asked to squeeze in another little passenger...meanwhile we will keep Pip's thread bumped up this forum in the hope that someone will then give him a home.  And if you ever have the time - though how you would I just don't know! - it would be lovely to see some more pictures and updates on all the rest of the tribe including Alex, Jojo and of course Scramble.

Bonne chance!

Val

Hi Val - my OH did the pick-up at Carcassonne yesterday and Tango should now be home with his new owners!  He was so good in the car and so so glad to be out!  My friend Melissa went with him and took out a very damaged little lass called Megan - I can't tell you how beaten she must have been as she wouldn't even stand up properly but crouched close to the floor and the walls the whole time she's been at the refuge.  My friend does dog therapy and I asked if she would consider working on Megan.............last night Megan was quiet and relaxed with another dog in Melissa's care and today she actually stood up properly, went for a short walk and then lay on her back in the sunshine!!!  Such a result!  As for little Pip, I am waiting to hear from Rowan later this evening as she was going to have a good look at him today for me - I am very close to getting him out I can tell you and I doubt my husband will make too much fuss as we have to go back for another rescue in the next week or so and take her to a foster home.......... so watch this space folks!  The heat at the refuge in Carcassonne is intense at the moment and my husband was upset to see that most of the kennels give little respite to the dogs.... facing south and with tin rooves!!

Picking up this little chap today!!  Been fretting over him in this heat and can't wait to give him some peace and TLC.  I will post pictures as soon as he's seen the vet, settled and maybe after a shampoo and bit of a clip as I gather he has some matted up bits for sure!  He's quite thin too so some good grub should cheer him up.  We have to change his name (he doesn't know it so not a problem really as I named him on the spur of the moment so I could post him on my page) as we already have a Pippa podenca!  Once he's been here for a day or so I am sure we'll get him named right.  So he's one less to worry about folks!

Well this little scrap is in a bad way!  I have been with him for most of the night until he finally settled and slept at around 4am this morning and I just settled on the sofa next to him till dawn.  I had to give him a very mild sedative in the end, so he could get some rest.  We got him home and had to clip off the matted hair to expose open sores beneath and we took 36 ticks off him before we bathed him and then had to let he be despite knowing there are probably more lurking........... I asked for him to be Frontlined whilst he was still at the refuge as I know they have a bad tick problem there - but clearly it didn't cope with the infestation he had!  This poor soul is still sleeping as I write and frankly that is the best thing for him at the moment.  He has really sore ears which I suspect are infected and his skin is bald a raw in places - his whole little body is twisted and he topples over a lot.  I am not sure what the vet is going to say when I take him, but I want to give him every chance at having some good times so I am hoping that he will agree to give him some help and get him through the next few days and weeks.  I wept whilst I nursed him in my arms most of the night and thought very malevolent thoughts about people who do this to animals - this kind of neglect is disgusting!  I will keep you posted and hope that I have some more positive news about the little pipsqueak in a day or two - whatever happens he will have large amounts of love and comfort showered on him.  All our other dogs are being wonderful with him - it's as if they know he's fragile and needs to be left alone....... the just wander up to his bed and give him the odd sniff, wag their tails and walk away.

[quote user="Merlin"] I am not sure what the vet is going to say when I take him, but I want to give him every chance at having some good times so I am hoping that he will agree to give him some help and get him through the next few days and weeks. [/quote]

You are doing everything you possibly can to help him; thank goodness he is in such safe hands.

Edit: I just love this bit:

All our other dogs are being wonderful with him - it's as if they know

he's fragile and needs to be left alone....... the just wander up to his

bed and give him the odd sniff, wag their tails and walk away.

Brilliant !

Sue [:)]

Poor little chéri, didn't they even clean him up a little at the refuge when they knew you were going to have him?  This is the second case along with my Geisha of these lovely little oldies being left without attention.

I wouldn't give sedatives to him Merlin, he may have a weak heart or something, you never know.

Give him a big kiss from me and thank you for getting him out of there.  He really didn't have much to smile about on the photo.

Christine

To answer your question, even before we knew that lovely Merlin was taking Pip, we (the volunteers) gave him a bath with a special soothing shampoo and cut off as much fur from him as we could. When I picked him up the first time, I thought he was covered with tumours, but in fact it was matted fur, which I, along with a couple of volunteers, carefully removed (or as much as we could without causing him distress)

I had Pip out of his cage and in my arms almost every day while I was at the refuge, and the other volunteers did what they could to make him comfortable, too.

The people at the refuge are not uncaring. They are just massively busy and sometimes a bit overwhelmed. And as you know, the reason Geisha was left alone was that she had an owner who was expected to come back for her but never did. We DID learn from that and we do our best to make the all the dogs as happy as we can, regardless of age or prospects for rehoming.