Christine's 1800km Challenge for Phoenix!

One Woman from The Dordogne’s 1800km Challenge for Phoenix Association – Santiago de Compostela or Bust!

It was with a large amount of courage and determination that Christine Endres, from Lanquais in The Dordogne, set off on Wednesday 30th May on a tough sponsored challenge in aid of Phoenix Association, who rescue and re-home abused and abandoned animals.

The challenge consists of a 900km cycle from the Médoc to the Atlantic coast of France, followed by a 900km walk along the famous pilgrim trail, The Camino de Santiago, from St Jean Pied de Port in south west France to the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

Jane Hunt, Public Relations Manager at Phoenix, interviewed Christine just before she set off:

Christine, why did you take on this challenge?

I completed a similar challenge two years ago to raise money for Phoenix, which turned out to be a real success. This year, I have become even more involved with Phoenix as I joined a new initiatives group, in which we have been brainstorming ways to support and sustain the organisation. I feel really motivated to have another attempt.

Why did you choose these particular regions of France and Spain in which to carry out your challenge?

As I am taking the first part of the challenge (the cycle) alone, I wanted something that was do-able, enjoyable, off-road as much as possible, and safe. A friend of mine had already walked the Canal Du Midi, and it sounded appealing, so I decided to extend the cycle along the Canal du Midi just a little bit by starting in The Médoc! In so far as the second part of the challenge, the walk, I’m completing this with a friend who asked me to go with her – I didn’t need asking twice!

You’re walking the pilgrim trail - does this have any particular religious significance for you?

Not exactly, but you really have to walk it to understand it. It definitely makes you feel very spiritual, emotional and aware of your surroundings and their history.

What is the reaction of your friends and family to your adventure?

I’ve always been adventurous, so they are not really surprised, but they do think I am mad! I completed my first sponsored event aged 12, when I did a 12 mile walk. Since then I have taken up various challenges, including the London Marathon, and I am always looking for something new.

There will be some tough times on the challenge. What will be motivating you to keep going?

Yes, it will be tough as I’m covering long distances in hot weather every day. I’ll have to camp wild on some parts of the cycle if I can’t find a campsite, and on the walk, I’ll be sleeping in basic hostels and carrying my possessions in my rucksack. Thinking of the animals in need is a great motivation. I also don’t like to fail. I’m fit and well and life is short and I believe that I have to do these things now while I still can.

Why is Phoenix your charity of choice?

I am an animal lover; I have 4 cats myself, and chickens! I often used to look at the Phoenix adoption page, and I first got in touch with them in 2010 to ask if I could raise money for them on my first Camino de Santiago challenge. They accepted straight away! I’m now very involved with Phoenix and I know, for example, their vet’s bills alone were €47,000 in 2011. I hope to make a difference.

How do you think you’ll feel when you reach the end of your challenge?

Emotional! I know I’ll cry! When I last walked the Camino de Santiago I was so exhausted, I was numb. Once I have recovered, I’ll be thinking about my next trip – probably Rome!

To view a live map of Christine’s progress, please log on to her page on the Phoenix website at http://www.phoenixasso.com/challenge.html

You can sponsor Christine online - every cent will motivate Christine throughout her challenge and will go to towards animals desperately in need.

To find out more about Phoenix and how you can help, please visit www.phoenixasso.com