Childs 1st Pony - HELP!

Butchx5

LAST EDITED ON 05-Mar-04 AT 09:13 PM (GMT)

Can anyone help?

We are considering allowing our youngest to have a pony - she has been asking for one for about 2 years now and we now have the space.
BUT
None of us have ever had any dealings with the equine species before(although quite experienced with most other animals) and need some sound advice:

Louise (the child!) is just 6 years old this weekend and so far has had no riding lessons and is very precious to her mum and dad! (hoping to book riding lessons for her birthday present)

What is the best age and size pony to get?
What is the best - male (neutered) or female?
How can you guarantee/tell a male has been neutered?
How can you tell a healthy pony? (other than it just has that healthy glow?)
If kept on grass the majority of the time what else should it eat? (Is it healthy to keep it on grass most of the time?)
Stabling - does it have to be special or is a suitable outbuilding ok?
Feet - how often should they be trimmed / shoed?

In fact loads of questions which we dont know anybody to ask and when we check on line different sites dont answer all the questions and give different answers - FRUSTRATING!

All you owners out there can you give some real-life answers and advice we would be really grateful.

Helen .

P.S. Thank goodness the boys are happy with their quad bike - they are easy!!

LAST EDITED ON 05-Mar-04 AT 10:08 PM (GMT)

Hi Helen
I REALLy hate to be a stick in the mud, but do think you need to consider much harder the idea of a pony.
As you say yourself and it is clear from your questions, you don't have ANY knowledge of equines.
It is not at all like keeping almost any other animal I can think of and besides, they do not live well on their own and so you'd need to get two.

But to be constructive:

If your daughter is keen, then start off with some lessons-she may even find she doesn't like it.
Then it will be possible to progress to some more involved activities. I'm sure there are things like "own a pony" weeks in stables in France and these are a great way to find out if you all enjoy it.
You will also gain experience and will need to get yourself up to speed in many, many aspects.
I don't say it's a terrible idea in the long term, just that you should not rush into anything. Horses are, for a start, a HUGE commitment and for second, there are countless tales of people who have bought the wrong animal and been put off for life.
Good 1st ponies are not easy to find, and bad ones are even harder to get rid of.
Please don't think I am being too negative. I have had horses for 35 years and am only being realistic.
Good luck and have fun anyway.
Em

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with all the above, but would just add that if you get your daughter into a good club, those that own it/run it should be able to steer you in the right direction. They are also more likely to be in the know when a decent pony comes up for grabs, or may agree to come with you to look at something that may seem suitable.

Fantastic fun but very very hard work. My advice would be to have lessons and work around the ponies as well. Grooming, mucking out, feeding, whatever the weather. While doing this, do some homework. Find out as much as possible. Perhaps she could join a club? Stabling and grazing, feeding, shoes (every 6 weeks), vets bills, insurance(for equipment, pony and rider) and kit can be costly. Getting it wrong could be heartbreaking and expensive. If she is still keen after all this, then go for it. I had heaps of fun with mine but I had to prove to my mum that I could do it and my pocket money went towards it's upkeep. That was many years ago and now my daughter (8) is learning to ride. She would like a pony as well but I want to be sure of her commitment. I don't want to be left holding the baby as it were. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON 26-Mar-04 AT 06:06 PM (GMT)

I,ve just had an idea, aren,t there any English people living in 16 who could take this wannabe horse/pony owner under their wing.I think if you took everyones advice on owning a pony you will never take the plunge. I,ll set the ball rolling by offering Butch the chance of driving a horse/horses, harnessing,e.t.c I totally agree that a horse is an incredibly big commitment, But some of the comments that have been posted I find rather comical, and misleading to say the least. So come on lets give this six year old a bit of encouragement, surely theres someone out there in 16 who can spare a few hours a week, By the way Butch I live in area 61 Orne give me a few days notice good luck Richard

>P.S. Thank goodness the boys are
>happy with their quad bike
>- they are easy!!

Sadly my boys wanted ponies and we agreed BUT try everything you can to avoid going down this road as the cost in time and money is horrendous !! Many other parents travelled the road only to discover that the ungrateful little wretch lost interest after a very short time but you may be luckier.

Suggest that you confirm little one's keen-ness is long lasting by getting her to help out at someone else's yard maybe swapping riding lessons for mucking out etc.

Ponies were fun for us, fun for teenage boys (lots of teenage girls) but the effort involved makes barn conversion look a doddle.

I suffered so why should tyou get away scot free ?

John before Di's time
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk