In a panic....

Sue Smith

Hi all,
I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance here. My mum died suddenly at Christmas and so Pete and I now have Ralph, mum's black and white (four and a half years old)cat, here with us in France. I've finally plucked up courage to let him outside today. Mum lived in a first floor flat and the furthest Ralph ever went was onto the balcony. Consequently, he's not "cat wise," considers himself human and is extremely trusting and unwary. Also, he's aware that our other two cats (both almost 16) don't like him too much, although they do all tolerate one another. I was feeling so guilty about keeping him indoors when the others are out enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Anyway, I've "rescued" him umpteen times so far this afternoon, constantly trying to keep him within the confines of our large garden area. Couldn't cope any longer, so decided to be brave, come inside and leave him to it. The guilt would be enormous if he disappeared or if anything happened to him. And a neighbour has recently lost a cat, insisting that the local farmer poisons strays! So, I'm sitting here in an absolute panic. Please will someone reassure me with stories of cats finding their way home from miles away, cats always coming home to be fed, cats "knowing" their own territory etc. etc. etc.
Many thanks for letting me witter on like this!
Regards,
Sue.

Sue,

Calmez vous!!!!

The first time you let them out is always traumatic, I've found, a bit like the first time you let your son/daughter walk home from school on their own (remember that!!).

We've 6 cats here and each time they have been let out for the first time I have gone through the same thing. Some came back in the minute they were let outside, and some had a good old sniff and wander not returning until they were good and ready.

I do know what you mean!

I'm sure it will be okay - let us know when he comes back so we can all stop worrying with you!!!

Penny

We acquired a rescue cat who, at about 10 years of age, had never been outdoors at all, but was obviously keen to try it. To start with I carried her slowly around the garden, trying to give her a chance to get her geography sorted out.
She then had to be taught about catflaps - fortunately we have the see-through sort which aren't so intimidating. I then only let her out when it was near mealtime, so she was keen to return when I rattled the plate.
I was finally happy when, upon being startled by a loud noise, she demonstrated that she was able to streak straight for her catflap and safely in. She is now fine in our large garden here, and rarely goes more than 20 yards from the house, thank goodness, as she is still hopeless when it comes to things like traffic which are totally beyond her comprehension.
Stick with it and Ralph will doubtless adjust to a happy outdoor life!
Good luck
Chrissie