Cats travelling to France

Chocolate

Cat travel. Can anyone advise me regarding the transport of 2 cats from Hampshire to the Bordeaux area of France? They are indoor cats, but are used to travelling the 8 miles to our vet in cat sized white coated steel barred carry cages. 1 each. There is a thick newspaper pad in the bottom, covered with their own handtowel for softness. Fine for a short, but very local/vocal, trip. We shall be taking them to France via a ferry crossing, (pet passported. Don't ask. What a hoo ha that has been!), and are concerned regarding their welfare on an 8 hour ferry crossing and long drive down through France. Clearly their current containers will not give them sufficient comfort, though they can each stand up and turn around. How do we transport them safely and comfortably? What type of container? How are they fed and watered, especially in the car on the ferry, and what about necessary litter tray? Should they have a seditive? (Not keen, but want to reduce stress.) The ferry experience must be stressful. I would welcome advice from those who have done this. The ferry companies and even my own super vets cannot help. We plan our move for the end of December. 

Hi,

In total we have bought 4 cats over to France (two separate trips) soI can only tell you what worked for us.

We bought the 2 younger ones over unsedated, but chose to use tranquilisers for the two older ones, on the vets advice. I would never do this again - the drugs (in my opinion) did not make the cats more relaxed, but simply spaced them out and made them even more confused. Also, the effects lasted some 24 hours and turned them from peace-loving moggies into wild beasts who wanted to fight all our other animals when we finally arrived home in France.

We did starve all our animals for 12 hours preceding the trip. I felt mean doing this and did offer food part-way through the journey but they really weren't interested and didn't start eating properly until they were all safely ensconced in their new home. Water, obviously, is essential (although they drank very little) but I would forget food if I were you - cats can last a good while without it and it will cut down on the likelihood of them being sick or getting distressed 'cos they want a good dump!!!

We had cat carriers which had little water bowls (like budgie feeders) that attached to the inside of the wire doors - you could get something similar by visiting your local pet store and buying a couple of hamster water dispensers and bowls, then you can just lean over your front seats from time to time and give the plastic botltes a squeeze - enough to provide them with water but not so much that the liquid gets spilt all over the bedding.

Also at the pet store we bought Puppy Training Pads (like square disposable nappies), these hold any liquid and stop it from seeping into the bedding beneath. Each time the cats relieved themselves (not often) we just pulled the top "nappy" off leaving a nice clean, dry one underneath. By building these in layers we also ensured they had a nice comfy bed.

I found the MORE they could move around the unhappier they were - in fact we ended up putting the first two cats in together part-way through the journey and they were much happier when they were squeezed in together - guess they felt the movement of the car less of a threat.

After bundles of meowing and screaming for the first hour or so the un-tranquilised cats calmed down and slept for most of the journey - they didn't like it but seemed resigned and quite stoical! The tranquilised ones howled for most of the journey (Essex to the Dordogne) & it was a less pleasant experience.

Hope this helps

Hi Penny

Only just picked up your mail. Thank you for the helpful advice and creative answer to my queries. The only draw-back I can think of is that 1 cat is a terrible pig for his food. We had to take him to the vet at one point as he was very solid! Now on Hills Light at times to keep his weight down. which also seems to reduce the bulk of inevitable outcome. However he is a big strong neutered Bengal male with a very thick furry coat and big bones. (Haven't we all said that on the scales!) How he would take to the 12 hours starvation and then the next possible 12 hours travel I dread to think. Ear defenders could be added to the excellent shopping list I now have for the Pet shop. I could feed a little of the dry food at a time en-route providing the water is available. 

The other cat is a non-biscuit eating female. However, she is very stoical, like all females, and would fast as if following vets advice after a stomach ailment.

Just off to the local pet shop with my shopping list. Thank you.

Chocolate

Another tip I meant to add is for you to get up 1/2 hour earlier on the morning of your departure and drive round the block as many times you need to until they both have a good dump (and they will!). You can then get them nice and clean again for the journey proper. Believe me the extra 1/2 hour is far, far better than the smell of cat pooh invading your nostrils just as you've got on the motorway!

On the first journey we made we did actually take a small cat litter tray with us (covered in cling film to avoid spillages),  we stopped at a Motorway Services and let the cats out of the carriers to see if they wanted to use it - big mistake - they rushed around the car exploring, didn't want to go back in their carriers and I was on edge the whole time in case they somehow escaped (oh, and of course they didn't use the litter). Personally, I think this caused all of us a lot of stress and I really wouldn't recommend it at all.

Hi Chocolate

I have been doing research on this as (hopefully) we should be taking our 4 over to France in the not-too-distant future. Generally people have said that sedation is not a good idea except in special circumstances. No need to starve the cats beforehand but don't feed just before travelling. Water is a must, but might be refused anyway. Dried food is optional, but might be refused anyway.

Some people think (our vet included) that larger cages are a must, some other people think smaller and more cosy is better!

A suggestion I think I will use for our very nervous moggies is Bach's Rescue remedy sprayed sparingly on the comfy bedding - sounds good to me.

I like the idea of the wee-proof layers - sounds a definite yes!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sue