micro chips:  anyone who has had thier animals microchip in england using identichip, please take your pet to the vet to check that not only does the number come up but also details, my 11year old dog was put down at the kennels because the information did not go to the international data base and only the chip number came up

The Identichip number does not go to the "international database", whatever that may be.  When your pet is scanned the number of the chip is indicated on the scanner.  This is then checked against the number entered on your pet's passport.

As I understand it, Identichip is recognised only in the UK, and the French system operates differently.  However, the standard for scanners is more or less universal, and scanners in France will detect an Identichip.

Guest CFrost

Hi, I agree with robbie.  I spoke to the pet register people to have our dog's details updated for france. They told me that the chip will only be recorded in the Uk and if we wanted her registered with the french register, then this we would have to do via the vet in france.  they also pointed out that we should have included on her id tag that she is chipped on the neck, as the french animals are chipped elsewhere??  I am sorry you lost your pet in this way, but I hope this helps if you have any other pets at home.

kimberley

We have a 4.5 year old retriever who came to us at 12 months old (re-homed). He is chipped but not in our name and we haven't re-registered him in the UK. Firstly, should we do this (he has a passport which we got a couple of years ago) and then when we move to France in a couple of years get him registered by our French vet? We don't have contact with the previous owners which is what stopped us re-registering him in the UK under our names as we presume that the chip database people will want proof that we didn't pinch him! Am I right in presuming this? Don't want to re-chip him as this would only confuse.

Any guidance greatfully received.

Ewa

27 & Devon

You need to contact Identichip with your dog's chip number and security code which can be found on the certificate which is issued when the animal is chipped.  If you don't have the certificate you could 'phone them and explain the circumstances. Tel:  +44 (0)1904 487600 E.mail is: [email protected]

They'll probably require proof of ownership, but I don't know what they will accept for this.  Perhaps documentary evidence from where you acquired him.

It's worth getting ownership details updated in the UK just in case he strays, or even an argument over ownership.

Hope you can get it sorted.

[quote]micro chips: anyone who has had thier animals microchip in england using identichip, please take your pet to the vet to check that not only does the number come up but also details, my 11year old dog...[/quote]

Our dogs were microchiped in the UK using Identichip and were registered on the UK data base

On arrival in France we then via our Vet in France had them registered on the French national database

There is no such thing as an international data base for microchips

The microchip reader only gives the vet/dog home the chip number .It does not provide an address.The person carrying out the test phones the database telephone number to obtain the name/address of the pet owner.If the dog is not registered on the French data base then it cannot be traced.

Chips manufactured by Identichip are compatable with French chip scanners

I am sorry that your dog suffered its fate but please do not give inaccurate advice which could scare other pet owners

Both of mine have UK chips.  It caused some confusion at the french vets when I enquired about reregistering them so I decided to have a tattoo done.  It did not cost a lot, the dogs are registered on the French database, and now both the tattoo details and the microchip number are on their EU passorts.  Problem solved.  The general public in France are more familiar with tattooes than chips so if either get lost and someone finds them and sees the tattoo they will at least know immediately that they have an owner somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
logical replies regarding microchip registration, but it still begs the question....your dog had a microchip, hence registered to someone somewhere...........so what justificaton for destruction.....that is just tragic and unbelievable!!! my heart goes out to you.

There is a European wide (or quite a few European countries anyway) system for identifying which database a chip number is stored on. Anybody can access it over the web http://www.europetnet.com/who/default.asp. You enter a microchip number and it will tell you which database it is recorded in and contact information for the database operators (not the registered owner but the database operators). Whilst France is not a member, anybody (including French authorities) can use the web site to find where a pet is registered (and thus get to find who the registered owner/contact info, etc.).