New puppy from UK

Geranium

I was hoping (once we're settled) to go back to UK and collect a new puppy from a breeder we have got to know over time. But now I see you can't vaccinate until they're 3 months, and then you have to wait another 30 days for the test. At this rate our puppy will be full grown before we get her!  is it at all possible to bring over to France a very new puppy that won't have been out with other dogs yet?

Any other suggestions?

When you say vaccination are you talking about rabies? I don't know if you have to vaccinate her against rabies if you bring her to France, but even if, I don't think that you have to wait for the test. That is only necessary for the Pet Passport and unless you plan to take her back to the UK within a year , you won't need that. If you are planning to take her back in the future you can have the Pet Passport done here. I might be wrong, but I think that you can just bring a puppy into France with the first vaccination done at 2mths, and then do the rest over here. Why don't you ask a vet here in France to be sure?

Christiane

Several years ago there used to be a restriction on the age of puppies being brought into France of 3 months (i.e. you could not bring a puppy UK to France that was less than 3 months old). I don’t know if this was because of the need for a rabies vaccination or some other reason. Also I don’t know if it is still the case (I never looked into it too closely as it did not affect me).

Also note that DEFRA are mainly concerned about animals entering the UK and less so about animals leaving the UK.

I believe you do not need the blood test etc. to enter France. The blood test (and then a 6 month wait following the taking for the blood sample that gave a good result) is only for entry into UK (and a few other countries). I believe that you would need a Pet Passport to bring a dog into France and for that you would need a rabies vaccination (thought there is debate about legally requiring the rabies vaccination once in France).

I think that UK vets are very focused on the blood test as that is a UK (plus a few others) regulation and they are (not surprisingly and justifiably) more focused on UK and dogs going and coming back (image the grief they would get if they gave somebody going on holiday a passport that was only good for outbound and not return !!).

Do double check it with the appropriate authorities (or get your breeder to). It may be that a breeder can export the dog on a commercial basis or something – no idea there.

Hello

I hope I can help with this. We moved to France 3 years ago. Our puppy was to young to have all his vacintaions for a pet passport. We contacted DEFRA and they suggested we export the puppy to France and not passport. It was a simular process, and we had no problems when coming into France, just means he doesn't have a passport now. I suggest you contact DEFRA and ask them the process of export as opposed to passport.

Hope this helps.

Vicky

It is the case that you can export a puppy from the UK simply by applying through an English Vet when you collect the puppy for the export paperwork to be done. This will mean that you should vaccinate your pup as normal (the breeder should normally do the first vacs and you collect the pup at twelve weeks when the second are due. You need ten days to organise the export which involves only a health check prior to travel. You will need to inform the KC if you are exporting a KC registered dog.

When you arrive in France, take your puppy to the vet and have his rabies vaccination done (it makes sense to get a French microchipping done as the British companies do not operate on the European mainland and if lost your pups identity will not easily be attained) here. After one month, you can have the blood titre test and six months after that your pup will have a passport.

It's not complicated. Puppies are exported from the UK all the time. The age limit is for their benefit and certainly a puppy of less than twelve weeks would find a long car journey to France very stressful. There is no requirement to have the rabies vaccination done in order to export a puppy from the UK, unless you intend to return with it in under six months.

Good luck.

I understand that some pedigree breeders place restrictions on their dogs that they may not be exported. I discussed a few things with my UK dog’s breeder before moving and he had to check with his wife if they had placed export restrictions on the dog. I have seen other Border Collie breeders explicitly state that they do not allow their puppies to be exported. May sound obvious (and not meant the wrong way), but do check with your breeder that they do not place export restrictions on their puppies (or are prepared to provide you yours without such restrictions.

That said – when I have travelled back and forth, had my dog had restrictions, nothing would have stopped me. Might have been a problem had he had restrictions and had I tried to show him in France – no idea.

[quote]I understand that some pedigree breeders place restrictions on their dogs that they may not be exported. I discussed a few things with my UK dog’s breeder before moving and he had to check with his w...[/quote]

I'm pretty sure breeders placing restrictions on export are aiming to stop their pups being exported by puppy dealers for resale overseas. If you are clearly a private client, buying a dog as a pet and planning to live overseas, I can't imagine breeders objecting.
I'm not aware of any legal way to stop a valid dog owner exporting their dog overseas at will once purchased with change of ownership registered, nor of any entitlement to prevent such dogs being shown abroad, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has such information as fact.....

[quote]I'm pretty sure breeders placing restrictions on export are aiming to stop their pups being exported by puppy dealers for resale overseas. If you are clearly a private client, buying a dog as a pet an...[/quote]

The few I’ve come across (Border Collies – no experience of other breeds) give a variety of reasons. Some because of potential quarantine, some because of the way dogs are treated in some countries (and the protection dog have under the laws of some countries. Sometimes its to ensure the breeder can “fully assist” the new owner and, worst case scenario, to help re-home the puppy. However, I guess such “endorsements” cannot affect getting and using a Pet Passport.

I have seen it expressed as “endorse papers such that puppies cannot be issued with an export license”. (I’ve also seen similar constraints that prevent offspring from being registered). I only came across this when I first moved out here and was discussing the ferry trip with the breeder of my UK born dog (and he checked and they had not placed such restrictions and he would have happily lifted them anyway). An example is Mastmariner (Border Collie Breeders). I’m not passing opinion on such endorsements as it is up to each breeder to establish principles to ensure they are happy with the future prospects for their dogs.

[quote]The few I’ve come across (Border Collies – no experience of other breeds) give a variety of reasons. Some because of potential quarantine, some because of the way dogs are treated in some countries (...[/quote]

In fact it's surprisingly responsible of breeders to have such an option. I don't disagree with it in principle at all, however, I would, as you do, consider that it wouldn't make any difference at all to the pet passport travel scenario, but it would make it difficult to export a puppy that was not yet on the scheme. Definitely something for the poster to take into account. I wonder if it's only Border Collie breeders? Needs looking into.

Hi,

We even got permission to bring our puppy into France before she was the official age. We got in touch with the french ministry of agricultue, sent a request and she came here when she was 11 weeks old. No probs - the initial vaccinations ahd been completed in the UK. The follow ups were done her as was the rabies.

If you can't find the info send me an eamil and I'll look it up for you.

EMP 53

My partners into dogs big time, showing her particular rare breed of British dog around Britain and at Crufts. We bought him with us to France. We wanted another dog and at first looked to our freindly breeder in Britian. After realising the hurdles to be overcome we took a step back and thought hey we are in France. We searched  for Breeders here and amazingly found a few. By taking this route we saved a bunch of hassle, learnt a bit more French and met some like minded French folk. It was a bit scary having to deal with things in another language but it gave us a great feeling of achievment. There were over 70 dogs showing from France at Crufts this year. Any dog from outside the UK,  to get into Crufts has to be of exceptional breed standard.

[quote]My partners into dogs big time, showing her particular rare breed of British dog around Britain and at Crufts. We bought him with us to France. We wanted another dog and at first looked to our freindl...[/quote]

I did the same for my 2nd Border Collie (moved over from UK with the first).

I actually found my vet's attitude to may changed when he scanned my French dog's microchip. He had always been friendly, etc. but when he scanned the micro-chip for the French dog, say the French prefix on the number and then realised that I really had moved to France and was not an occasional visitor. Since then he has been a great laugh, helping me with French language each visit, etc.

Thank you to all for answering my query.  It all sounds perfectly possible now and we just have to look at timing.

We want to get a "Working Cocker"; they're like a Cocker Spaniel but lighter built and very intelligent (not casting aspersions on Cockers - my parents had them for years!). My husband reminded me that the breeder we know takes them back after a couple of months to do a thorough training with them. Then they can be used as working gun dogs or just fabulously well trained pets.

So it looks like we will hopefully get the puppy earlier, bond with her, then send her for training and then finally move to France, taking her with us of course.  The poor old cat will have to cope too!

Thanks again