are us brits selfish with our pets

Dave&Olive

hi all need help and more help.

been here for 6.1/2 weeks and just found one of the girls (as Olive calls them ) dead, gutted and more gutted , do you think we are so selfish as to think uk cats can live in  france should we have given them away to good homes in the uk are the other 2 going to go the same way, we have been knocked back so hard by this it hard for me to put it in to words how we feel .we came out here for a better life for us and our girls and we have lost one Olive is ...........yes its that bad need some one to get her out of it ....no no she has not got I want to go back head on its just a cat lovers thing .

if anyone has got a tabby or black she kitten will you come over with it and say to Olive if you do not take her in she will have to be put down , the only thing I can think of never seen her this bad before even when daisy went.

thank you Dave

So sorry for you and Olive Dave.

It isn't clear what she died of...was she poisoned?

I would imagine you love your cats like I do and if you had found homes for them in the UK you would STILL be worrying if they were alright whilst you were over here.  You wouldn't be able to stop yourself.

We will have to move our cats from the country to the town shortly and I am dreading it.  They will have to be virtually kept in because of the traffic.  I really don't know the best thing to do.

Tell Olive how sorry we are.  I've got four wild kittens....probably won't be able to catch them until they are a couple of years old though so not suggesting anything.

No, no, no Dave! We Brits are not selfish. Cats are part of the family and should be brought as part of our new lives here. We brought our 3 (at great expense - vaccinations, passports, flights here) just 10 weeks ago and they are now so happy with all the lovely sun and home comforts.

Although you don't say what happened, might it have happened anyway if you'd remained in the UK? Please try to be positive - I am certain that your dear cat had a wonderful life with you, and no doubt your others will continue to do so. To have given them away prior to leaving the UK would have been heartbreaking for you both.

I have never been without cats all my life (now heading for 60, used to work for Cats Protection in UK) and I do know how very, very upsetting it is when one goes. But time is a great healer, and you have definitely done the right thing by bringing them with you. Just try not to blame yourselves for something that might have happened anywhere.

We do hope Olive will gradually get over this awful event.

Liz & Richard in 47

So sorry to hear of your loss.

We bought our two cats over for a trial period one xmas before we moved over in the following March.

Unfortunately, one was killed by the dogs behind.  She just didn't know what trees were for, coming from London.  We spent weeks feeling guilty, but at the end of the day, all we wanted for them was a better life.

She's now buried in our garden, with a lovely headstone, so she's always here with us. 

But we decided to leave the other cat behind with our Son as i couldn't have gone through it again.

hello there, I know exactly how you feel and am so very sorry i am crying as I am writing this, I lost my sole mate cat to the bloody road about one month ago and cannot forgive myself for not getting him in that night as I always do since moving to france, the pain is deep and he will always be with me in my heart, I cannot even go to the part of the garden he is buried and cry everytime I look at the road where i found him, you bring them all this way and when they die so young its guttering, however on a positive note I would have never left any of my boys and girls ( all 17 of them I brought from Newcastle) because their lives are so much better here with the vast space and freedom, we just have to enjoy them however long or short their lives are and sometimes they are lucky and live to a good old age like the 3 20yr olds I have

the pain will become less but for me its taking a long time but I have the happy loving memories to think of and so will you

just want to thank everyone for your e-mails ,posts and messages you have sent us , it seems we are not the only ones to have had grief as soon as they got here ( There is always someone worse of than us ) we will bounce back (your response did help us though ).

just want to say again thankyou to every one , I have not been on the forum a lot since we came here thought it had gone down hill a bit with all the CLOWN postings ect. but see the true blues are still hanging in there be-it in the the back ground but when the help is needed they all come out ,

thanks again

David ,Olive ,.. and the 2 cats

Dave & Olive:  I am so sorry for your loss.  We lost a dear pet to cancer several years ago and I have to say it takes a long time to heal from the loss.  I am not clear on how your loved one died.  Sometimes the way in which you lose a pet can make it that much harder to recover from.

Have you tried your local SPA to find a new kitten/cat for Olive?  I'm sure they could help you.

I hope you are able to feel better soon.

Here in general the french people seem to treat all their "pets" very differently to us,  horses, dogs, cats etc.  All the people with dogs i know near us let them roam around and chase cars, and me on my horse and cats!!!  French people who own cats don't seem to have the females done and therefore find themselves killing the kittens once or twice a year.  Our neighbour has lost a couple of females cats, to the toms who fight them and quite often kill them!! So she said.  Its quite difficult to see for us brits as we tend to cherish and fuss over and love our pets alot more,  to most of the french people they are just animals and not pets at all.  Hope Olive is going to be ok, and i agree also no we are not selfish with our pets just a little more caring!!    

Dave

My heart goes out to you and Olive for your loss I can almost feel the pain in your mail. Me & my husband lost both of our cats to illness within 3 weeks of moving home in the UK after they had been part of our lives for 16 years. I too thought I had acted selfishly in moving them but upon reflection I realised I didn't know they were ill. We now have three wonderful cats from the Blue Cross and now that a permanent move to France is on the cards for us next year I am concerned about how they will get on.

Looking back over the last couple of years I would say that such was my suffering from the loss that I moved to replace too quickly and this brought about it's own problems. Cats as you know can be very individual and although they look alike they behave very differently and for me this created some resentment during the early part of the relationship with one of the new ones. With hindsight I would have waited longer.

I do hope that you begin to feel better soon and may the fond memories you both have of your 'girl' never fade.