Reality check !

Hi ...hubby and I have finally retired and the old dream of moving to France has resurfaced but before we burn any bridges I'd be grateful for any advice etc from those that have already done it ! .

Firstly finances ....we will have roughly 250,000 euros with which to buy a home and about 2,400 per month to live on , is this realistic ? We will have a fairly healthy 'rainy day ' pot for any unforeseen emergencies but don't want to dip into this for normal living expenses.

Secondly ...where ? ...I know the weather can be variable but we'd like warmer Summers and more of an outdoor lifestyle , we were thinking of the South West ( the Lot, Charente, Gers etc ) but are open to any suggestions. We don't want to live in an English enclave and like rural rather than urban

We have done some research about health insurance top up

payments , is there anything else we will need to be thinking about ? .

I speak and write fluent french ( mum was French) but hubby does'nt though is happy to learn , we already have many friends in France via our hobby ( we breed and show Berger

Belge dogs) and I have relatives in Provence, Normandy and the Limousin so would have a network to 'tap into ' once we make the move .

I'd be grateful for your honest thoughts and suggestions

Thanks

Hi Yvonne,

My top tips would be,

Rent for a year to see if you really like it where you decide to settle

Don't fall into the trap of buying something that's massive and will cost a fortune to keep warm

Sort out your money in the UK. Cash in things like ISA's

Don't buy something with loads of garden if you don't want to spend a day a week riding around on a Ride-on Mower

Unless you like cement dust don't buy a building site

If you drive, don't loss that ability by relying on hubby. I've seen so many who could but don't/can't drive here

I'm sure more will add to the list

John

Secondly ...where ? ...I know the weather can be variable but we'd like

warmer Summers and more of an outdoor lifestyle , we were thinking of

the South West ( the Lot, Charente, Gers etc ) but are open to any

suggestions. We don't want to live in an English enclave and like rural

rather than urban....

Rural rather than urban ... Almost everyone who comes to France wants this - then changes their mind sometimes after they've come ... lots of threads on this forum worth a read ...

Too rural - no shops, large distances to travel .... village, lots of neighbours to watch over you (sometimes too much), but probably some shops.  Think about what happens 10 years on when you are less able, and for when you cannot drive.

Renting - concur on previous post there.

English enclave - Almost anywhere giving you what you want will also have already attracted many other northern Europeans ... even when you speak French well, as you  obviously do, and even when you have relatives in France, there comes a need to all of us to be able to return to our [English, Scottish Welsh, or whatever] roots, and by that that mean speaking your own language socially on occasion, and discussing "English" things.  I can almost guarantee that will happen at some point.

We have friends who rented for a year, stayed for some time elsewhere, and are now finally buying here ...having decided it has what they want ... as with all things, don't rush into it, and on your other questions, there are, again, many threads on here on what you need to know.  Loads of books too. 

The places you mention are all popular with the English, as is my region.  They are not quite Dordogneshire - yet - but all come something closer to it than perhaps you'd like.

Finally, even here in the south of France the winters are cold (many threads on that this year!).

Hi John

Thanks for that .. renting first is a great idea but our problem is that we have 7 dogs and that might prove a bit of a problem when looking for somewhere to rent ! .

We don't want anywhere too big but will need a bit of land to excercise the dogs on

My tuppence' worth; yes, I think that your budget is generous if you just want rural.

And, if you do want to be between Angoulême and Bordeaux, no more than an hour from the sea, on the edge of a large village, excellent vets close by, in a very French house with all mod cons and 3 large Godin ovens (just HAD to talk ovens and cooking), I know just the place![;-)]  Plus there are 3000 sq metres of parc and a large wood behind the house to exercise all seven of your dogs....[:D]

Seriously, despite all the drawbacks (and there are some), I am enjoying life just fine.

And, Judith, for shame, running down Dordogneshire!  Believe me, it's not like what you imagine.  I am not in any enclave and the tourist presence is pretty discreet.  The countryside is breathtakingly pretty and I have loads to do that does not involve anything British, nevermind English....

Ideally if you can afford it keep a foot on the UK property ladder, as the majority of retiree Brits do end up returning to the UK eventually.

Do not rush into buying in France until you are certain of the area you want to live and this includes spending time in your favoured area for a winter, when things can look very different and could be much colder and wetter than you expected. Like the UK the weather in France seems to be deteriorating over recent years!

This is especially relevant in the current weak French property market, as selling especially in rural areas is difficult at the moment. (The French Notaires, banks and immoblier associations are forecasting a 5% to 10% drop in French property values this year, with rural areas especially badly hit.)

[quote user="John Brown"] Rent for a year to see if you really like it where you decide to settle [/quote]

Really good idea on two fronts ... one to make sure of an area and second to make sure you really do like living in France.

[quote user="John Brown"]  Cash in things like ISA's [/quote]

Depends what kind of ISAs you might have; if there is the remotest chance you might be returning to the UK one day then keep them as once sold the non-taxable benefit is lost for ever. Lost as regards the UK that is as any income is taxable here. But it really does depend what kind of ISA you might have.

Sue

A very small warning bell went off in my head when I read this thread.

I seem to remember something about a restriction if you have more than 4 dogs.

Something about you can have more but have to notify somebody?

I had a quick search on this Forum but couldn't find the thread I was thinking of.  Perhaps a dog owner will be along soon and tell me I'm talking rubbish (as usual)

EDIT:  And if you breed them (presumably for profit) there could be Tax implications I suppose

Concur with all of the above.

Wouldn't advise too rural as you might spend several hours a week in the car - shops, bank, doctors etc which obviously has an impact on the cost of running a vehicle.

I also wouldn't worry too much about an 'English enclave' as you can pick and choose who you associate with.

Can recommend Dept 17 but don't have a house to sell!

Well, as for weather we are in 31 and it is cold and wet - very wet. Where our UK house is in Lincolnshire the weather looks far better.

Could be a problem for your husband if there are no Brits nearby - as he does not speak French then he will only have you to talk to and when you are with new French friends he will not have a clue what is being talked about let alone join in.

Suein56

"Depends what kind of ISAs you might have; if there is the remotest chance you might be returning to the UK one day then keep them as once sold the non-taxable benefit is lost for ever. Lost as regards the UK that is as any income is taxable here. But it really does depend what kind of ISA you might have."

You're right Sue, I should have explained better

I was thinking of any savings in the UK that the French Tax Man can take a big lump out of, if you cash them in after you arrive

Including Lump Sums from Pensions!

Read through this thread:

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2915687/ShowPost.aspx

I would agree that ideally renting first is ideal and that if you can do it financially keep a toehold in the UK

Absolutely no problem with the finances depending on how you wish to live

You don't give your ages so I can't comment on the healthcare issue which can be a major expense

A few random points:

1)French livestock farming is in crisis so land for the dogs is unlikely to  be a problem

2) Remember that south/north is less important for climate that east/west and altitude.  Down my way there is a clear line around the Méridienne verte (roughly Carcassonne) where the climate changes from Atlantic to Mediterranean, with much more rain to the west. Similarly over 300 metres can be markedly colder.

3) Internet can be difficult. Consider the option of something like twoway

4) France is going through the same crisis as the rest of Europe, but has always had a slower reaction time. Many people came here because it felt as if they were going back 30 years to an easier time. The corollary is that France may stay in the doldrums longer too if ever things pick up.

The fact you speak and write fluent French puts you at a significant advantage to most Brits in France. However, I would get cracking with the French lessons for your hubby and start speaking to him in French whilst at home, as the risk is that once you move to France your husband could feel isolated if you build up a new network of friends and contacts that only you can communicate with. Also by starting the language lessons now, you will get an idea as to what aptitude your husband has for languages, because if he struggles with the language this will probably be your biggest area of stress, as financially I cannot see you having any difficulty.          This just leaves the weather and here your guess is as good as anyone, as to what on earth is going on with the current climate change and I am sure you will have been told by your French relatives that everyone in France is as fed up with the bad weather as in the UK. Where I am in the south of France we have just had the coldest winter and wettest Spring since records began and last summer was a bust, to the extent that if the current rainfall pattern continues over the next few years, I am going to be going back to Florida more for my holidays!   

[quote user="sweet 17"]

And, Judith, for shame, running down Dordogneshire!  Believe me, it's not like what you imagine.  I am not in any enclave and the tourist presence is pretty discreet.  The countryside is breathtakingly pretty and I have loads to do that does not involve anything British, nevermind English....

[/quote]

Now Sweets, look at my sig - I do know some parts of the Dordogne ... and yes, it is not as bad as painted ... but as with down here, there are places I would ignore / avoid in the height of the tourist season.  A trip along the river eastwards from Bergerac towards Les Eyzies, for example, is a place I'd avoid almost all year around because of the [tourist] traffic!

Being honest, we moved on from there because we wanted drier weather - but as everyone knows, this year, it hasn't worked out quite like that - having just rushed out to rescue the washing - again!

I think it depends what climate you'd like. Dordogne/Lot et Garonne have very hot summers (a pool is a necessity) and very cold, but short winters. I think that would be the same in most inland areas other than northern parts of France.

I think it's quite possible you'd find a rental place even with so many dogs - don't forget that if there's any damage when the house is checked at the end of the contract, you'll be billed for it!  

[quote user="Pommier"]

I think it depends what climate you'd like. Dordogne/Lot et Garonne have very hot summers (a pool is a necessity) and very cold, but short winters. I think that would be the same in most inland areas other than northern parts of France.

I think it's quite possible you'd find a rental place even with so many dogs - don't forget that if there's any damage when the house is checked at the end of the contract, you'll be billed for it!  

[/quote]

1)  I would say the winters in Lot et Garonne winters are usually less cold than here, but usually much wetter than here. (This year is an exception I know, but as you can see, they have flood warnings at the mo).  We spent as much time in 47 in the winter as we did in the summer (holiday home).  It can get vey hot there in the summer, but tends to more cloud than down here (again talking "normal" years!).

2)  I have [English] friends here who breed dogs - I don't know how many they have, but I think I've seen more than 4, and one's recently had puppies ... they show at Crufts etc, so must know what regulations they are.  PM me if you want to take this further.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts ...we've just returned from the French Championnat held at Marseilles and folk there said this Spring has been horrible so I guess even in Provence the sun cannot be guaranteed ! ....but I still reckon we'll have more of an out door lifestyle than here. We are returning to France later this year to have another look around and will certainly be renting first if we decide to make the move ....hubby was happy to practise his 'franglais' at the show and during the breed club ' get together' afterwards ( the wine helped ! )

Avec mes amities

Yvonne