severely when travelling in the car. He arches his neck back,

completely opens his mouth, lets his tongue hang out and looks as if he

is just about to pass out. The first time he did this I immediately

stopped the car and offered him some water but he did not want to drink

it, but he quietened down. I off I go again and within a few minuets he

started panting again, so I stop and offer more water but he still

won't drink. I try to dribble some water into his mouth but he was not

interested. To cut a long story short when we arrive at our destination

he will leap out of the car as if nothing was wrong and charge about.

These journeys are between 15 min to an hour.

I don't want him to develop a phobia about travelling, so is this

something to worry about or isit best ignored. Just to reiterate he has

access to water, the car is well ventilated and not to hot.

Thanks

Diana

From my experience it sounds like he is afraid.  My lab mix used to do that all the time when we first got her so we went back to square one, getting her used to the car without the engine on and no movement and fed lots of treats and when she was calm (maybe a few days later) started the engine and gave treats then reversed down the drive - you get the picture. [:D] After about a week she would get in the car and not pant at all but obviously did not completely relax.  Also try to get him to associate the car with nice things, treats, games, walkies not just trips to the vets or horrid places.  Good luck - things will get better!

When he was a puppy my dog was sick whenever he went in the car, and would run away when I went to open the garage.  He had vomited on the journey home when I bought him, and then associated the car with being sick, which made it worse for him. 

Your dog has some phobia about the car so you need to make a car journey enjoyable for him.  Do not stop the car when he shows signs of distress as this will encourage him to do it every time.  Start off with very short journeys and do some thing that he will enjoy at the end of it.  Make a fuss of him and give him a reward.  Gradually, make the journeys longer and reward him each time.  After a few weeks he will be fine.

Charley was cured in about five weeks, and after that I couldn't keep him out of the car.  He just loves to go out now even if it's only shopping.  After I wash the car he will jump in when I put it in the garage, and that's only a matter of yards.

One of our lab pups was carsick from the first journey and subsequent journeys reinforced the problem until she refused to go near the car far less get in it. So we did some of what Mrs MDW suggested with the addition, on the recommendation of the puppy class instructor, of a large beanbag. We let some of the beads out so that it wasn't over-stuffed and apparently the beanbag goes some way to absorbing the movement of the car and reduces the likelihood of car sickness. It worked for her as soon as we tried it. It was remarkable.

For anyone that travels with dogs, I'd also recommend some of the non-slip matting that is sold in supermarkets, Castorama etc. If the dog is lying down, the dog doesn't slide when going round corners etc even if the dog's blanket or whatever is on top of the matting.

Thank you both for your replies.

I should have mentioned that on these occasions we have been driving to

the beach, woods or other doggy treat locations. Also he is very

willing to get into the car and has not yet been travel sick. We only

live a few hundred metres from the vet so for any unpleasent visits

there he has either walked or I have carried him.

I will try gentley to reintroduce him to the car.

Thanks again

Diana

You could always try a 'DAP pheromone collar' available from the vets - for dogs that are anxious, afraid or in our dogs case just plain crazy! They take appx 10 days to take effect, and we actually saw a difference on the 11th day when he was noticably more calm. It could be worth a try - though they are about 22euros depending on the size of your dog.

Good luck

Lynpy

However bizarre it may sound, I read a vets response to this same question and he advised 'ginger biscuits' before the trip.  The owner tried it out and it made a huge difference to the dogs reaction - I only wish the vet had explained why because he could have made it sound so complicated we would all be trying it.

[quote user="Chesnelay"]However bizarre it may sound, I read a vets response to this same question and he advised 'ginger biscuits' before the trip.  The owner tried it out and it made a huge difference to the dogs reaction - I only wish the vet had explained why because he could have made it sound so complicated we would all be trying it.[/quote]

Ginger is known for it's digestive properties.  I try to always keep essential oil of ginger or candied ginger in the house for human stomach upsets.  I think that would be too strong tasting for most dogs though.  For the humans, just put one or two drops on a sugar cube.

PG

hi,

just my opinion , but i do not think it is a phobia or fear, as the dog would become agitated when asked to get in the car. by what you describe it sounds, to me, to be anticipation. the dog is anticipating his, "day out", if he was thirsty he would drink, if he was scared, he would show it, dogs do not keep their reactions to themselves, or refrain from doing what they need to do eg drink , eat etc unles there is a medical reason affecting them.

some dogs do not like the movement of the vehicle, and as said above are either sick or are hesitant in getting into the vehicle, dogs learn by association, it seems that yours is not fearful of the vehicle, and is , as you say not getting too hot, saying that, his temperature could be elevating slightly with his excitement and he pants to regulate it, some dogs also increase panting  when on the verge of a regular positive activity, mine do when going out walking and training.

i do no think it is a problem, keep an eye and if you do not feel comfortable with it seek further advice from a vet .

good luck

My youngster used to make horrific noises when in the car. I believe she was scared, after I had satisfied myself there was really nothing wrong, ignored her. It took a short time but she then started going through phases. Once she realised that being scared was not “worthwhile”, she started to enjoy looking around as we were driving. However, lorries coming the opposite way on two way roads started scaring her. Then she learnt that they were not going to hit her and start chasing them off (which she was actually very good at as after she “saw them off” they never turned round and came back).

She now loves the car. She does continue to pant whilst we are driving and on long journeys (e.g. after 3 hrs) may sit down for a rest.

What I am trying to say is, things can get better so do not assume that your pup is always going to be bad in the car. It is difficult to suggest what the best way forward is as it depends on how bad he is, the cause, etc. However, now it sounds like you have established that he is not thirsty it is worth remembering that when a pup shows fear it is normally best not to comfort him but to ignore the reaction and continue as though nothing is wrong. To comfort him will reassure hi that he was right to be fearful of whatever it was.

Ian