French campsites with your dog

Georgina

Does anyone know if you need to have tick and worm treatment from the vet before staying on a french campsite or holiday area?  I know that you have to have the rabies certificate - I presume the vaccination certificate and the positive result are sufficient.  Anyone stayed on a site with their pet?

Georgina

I have two French  friends who own campsites in France. They never ask to see any paperwork relating to dogs. Just make sure your animal does not annoy other campers and have your pooper scooper handy as this is one thing that drives my normally placid friends absolutely bonkers.

Benjamin

I am surprised that campsites do not ask to see paperwork.  Both my Michelin campsite guide and a guide book I have to a big campsite chain say that animals must have up to date vacination certificates (they don't say what the vacinations are for though!).  Just goes to show there may well be rules but most ignore them.

Liz

Point taken Liz. Just to add a bit more to my posting, both these campsites are medium/large but they both have an exeedingly large number of "regulars" who come back year after year. It's almost a family atmosphere especially in high season and many friendships are renewed and new ones cemented. I always think that French people expect that animal owners will always have up to date vacinations.

Yes, they do seem to pick and choose which rules and regs. they'll comply with and which ones they'll ignore but isn't that part of what being French is all about?

Benjamin

[quote user="Benjamin"]Point taken Liz. Just to add a bit more to my posting, both these campsites are medium/large but they both have an exeedingly large number of "regulars" who come back year after year. It's almost a family atmosphere especially in high season and many friendships are renewed and new ones cemented. I always think that French people expect that animal owners will always have up to date vacinations.

Yes, they do seem to pick and choose which rules and regs. they'll comply with and which ones they'll ignore but isn't that part of what being French is all about?

Benjamin

[/quote]

Guess I will just take all the documents with me, just in case they decide to have a checking day.  Still, don't want her mixing with some scabby mangey mongrel, couldn't have that, so I would prefer it if they checked everyone.[;-)]

Georgina

I think you'll find, Georgina, that French people who take their pets on holiday generally look after them very well. Mongrels they could be but most are unlikely to be scabby and mangey. Do I take it that this could be your first visit to a French campsite or am I being presumptive?

Benjamin

I think she was being ironic...

But she is also making a serious point. So often on these forums the underlying thrust of messages is 'how do I get away with not doing this' - when in fact other people (and I suppose their dogs, too) have rights, as well, and there may be a very good reason for following guidelines.

Sorry, Dick, but my irony detector is on the blink today.

I don't know if there are any rules governing animals and campsites, but are we therefore saying that anyone with an animal in a public place in France can be challenged and asked to provide proof of up to date vaccinations? Maybe Christine can help out here?

I do, incidentially, agree that folk do search for reasons not to do something.

Benjamin