Bringing a dog back into the UK - Rabies?

gail17

Hi

We are planning on buying a puppy,  we have looked into the requirements for taking it out of the UK and over to France for holidays, and think we are ok on that. We will have to buy him after this year's holiday in France as we have been told that he can't re-enter the UK 6 months after his positive rabies blood test.  We have, however heard that prior to bringing him back home it is necessary to have him treated by a vet against ticks and tapeworms.  Can anybody let me know if they know of any specific vets in Calais that they may have used (handy for the Port) and also is there any thing that we need to arrange re rabies with a french vet?

Hoping you may be able to help?

Gail  

Hi

Many thanks for your replies.  We have looked into matters with DEFRA and all seems ok.  Is there anyone who can recommend a vet,  either Saintes/Cognac 17 area or Calais.  PM me if you would prefer.

Gail

Pretty well any vet will know what needs to be done.  It’s a straightforward treatment (often Frontline and Drontral – which is what I use anyway for fleas/ticks and worms – just needs to be done by a vet and recorded in the Pet Passport by th vet).  The comment about the treatment being between 24 and 48 hours of check-in for return travel to UK is correct and is an important consideration as, if you are returning to Calais to catch the ferry, if you get to Calais, get you og treated you will then have to wait fro 24 hours before being able to travel.  There is no flexibility in the regulations.  I have experience of only one carrier, but from what others have said , the rules are enforced without leeway or “interpretation”.

Ian

Please pay strict attention to all the advice about the 24/48 hour rule. As others have stated, it is not negotiable!

In addition check the entries in your Pet Passport carefully before you leave the Vet. They are capable of making errors like the rest of us.

While taking our dog through the check in at Caen I listened to a couple trying to persuade the BF receptionist that the dossier of old paperwork proved that their dog was elligible to travel. The Pet passport had two essential pages still blank. The vet should have alerted them and they should have checked.

Has anyone had a failure with the microchip?

Alistair

Has anyone had a failure with the microchip?

Only an apparent failure, using the reader that BF provided at Portsmouth.  It has become such a hassle getting their reader to work we've invested £100 and bought our own.  I might add the reader BF use at Caen is a serious device that works well.

AK

BF’s reader at Portsmouth failed to read either of my dogs microchips.  Didn’t bother me as it was the first time they had been checked and I did not expect it to be an issue.  However, then they told me to press the correct button on their machine and all was well !!

Ian