PROLIFERATION OF WILD CATS.

maureen

There exists in the Dordogne, a problem of over proliferation of wild cats. The SPA are planning to cut the number of wild cats, but S.O.S. Chats Libres have already been doing it for some years. The Association is run  entirely  by voluntary workers who go out every day to catch, sterilise and then return these cats to their natural habitat. The cats are fed daily, again by volunteers, and checked upon for their wellbeing. Food is obtained by food collection at supermarkets, money raised at car boot sales and other fund raising projects. We have kittens and older cats, usually sterilised, who are looking for loving homes. The cats are sterilised by Veterinary surgeons who have agreed to give the Association a special price. If you can help us in any way, catching, feeding, joining the Association or sending a donation, we would of course be delighted to hear from you.
You can see our website on  http:// www.soschatslibres.com
Thank you.

I have just had a look at your site Maureen.  What a tremendous amount of work has been carried out by your association, it's marvellous, something like l'Ecole du Chat.

I liked the photo gallery and the one of the cats on the roof waiting for their croquettes reminded me of Coluche who also had a "resto du coeur" félin and he used to feed a load of stray cats on a flat roof like that from his window above.  He had a "coeur gros comme ça".

Bonne continuation et toutes mes félicitations.

Christine

Good question Gay.
At the moment, in the area of the Dordogne there is no restriction to keep cats confined - fingers crossed it stays that way. There is no way we can possibly round them all up. I suppose that they will just have to take their chance with the hundreds of other birds and animals it MAY effect.

maureen.

• 1 month later...
There are many cats in our village and only one has been neutered, our french neighbours say its cruel and unatural to neutere an animal, they were horrified when I told them I had my male rabbit neutered as he had lived with his companion some while who I thought was a male and turned out to be a female.They said, you would not get a vet to do that in France.I am baffled why they think like this ,they rather kill six kittens or puppies  instead of preventing it.I have a real job getting my head round it, and I can honestly say, it is the only thing I hate about the french people in our village, I understand that they have been brought up to think an animal is an animal after all,but I do not ever think I will ever get used to it, they just think I am stupid, as soon as I arrive at my house, its like Doctor Doolitttle, every animal in the village turns up, they all have their favourite food,I even make sure I get there in time to stop at the supermarket, because I cannot bare the thought of them turning up and I have not got anything in.So can I just congratulate all you great people for making a difference to all those needy animals.I know we have to educate people in th U.K. but I do not think it is as bad as France.I would always be happy to help raise money for any of your causes, all my friends in France are animal lovers . I am in the Limousin.

Hallo vervialle - thanks for your reply. Pity that there are not more people like you - especially amongst the French. As far as sterilising animals in France is concerned. I always put it down to the fact that France is a predominantly Catholic country and they don't like contraception - of any kind!! May be daft, but I just cannot think of any other reason, except for lack of money, why animals are not castrated.

It's a pity that you are not nearer to Perigueux, out main centre, as we would certainly have dragged you in to help...however if ever you want to do any book sales, collection of cat food, or money for purchase, the "Limousin Marathon", or anything to help, please feel free.

Thank you for taking the time to write,

Maureen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maureen

There is a stray that I have been feeding, and my daughter has been calling Michael (don't ask) but we have just realised that she definitely isn't a Michael as I think her kittens are due any day.  She sometimes sleeps in the barn and I have made her a bed there and left food by it to try to encourage her to have them there but is she more likely to take to the fields do you think?  If she does have them on our land I will feel duty bound to find homes for them and I suppose that would be easier if they were neutered.  Any advice as to how I can achieve this without having to pay vast amounts of money? I live near Ruffec, dept 16.  

On another note, we took our tom to the vets some time ago after he had been badly beaten up by another cat (he isn't Michaela's lover by the way) and the vet said that as he he needed to put him out to clean him up he might as well castrate him at the same time. I think he is dutch though so perhaps they have a more liberal attitude towards castrating.

Krin