Rabbits

julie

Julie  sorry cant help you with the regulations .....but....  if you  are on a French ferry dont even mention  the word "Rabbits  or Lapin  "  you can call them the  "small furry animal with long ears ."....Use of the word is bad luck and Brittany Ferries will not take your booking  if they know you have them with you...just try asking to have them on board  !   ..It all goes back to when a cargo of rabbits chewed through the planks of a French ship and it sank with great loss of life ...French sailors have deemed them bad luck ever since and wont have them on  ship....Suggest you talk to a vet about taking them with you . Good luck . I imaging sombody here has taken them out and will advise you soon .

Hi Julie

I successfully transported two rabbits to France from England.  We used SeaFrance as the ferry company, and they charged about £5 extra per animal.  They had to stay in their carriers in the front of the van whilst crossing the channel and they weren't allowed on deck. 

At the time, pet passports weren't available for rabbits, but it was due to happen in mid-2004.  I haven't looked into it since as we're here now. All I needed to do was get the rabbits 'jabbed-up' for myximatosis and VHD before-hand (they were due anyhow), leave it for two weeks in case of side effects, then see the vet again.  He wrote out a certificate for each rabbit saying that they were fit and healthy and signed and dated it.  As far as I know, this certificate has to be written no more than 5 days before departure.

We were quite lucky (had a hell of a time trying to get information from Defra and others on how to transport rabbits to France) as our vet used to work in Dover, so was used to people trying to get the ferry with rabbits and being refused; then told to go to his practice for the necessary certificates.  Just to note that vets won't sedate rabbits prior to the journey as it is risky.  Just make sure they have old bedding (so it smells familiar), food, water and hay, and they should be fine.  I think ours survived the journey better than we did!

Even though SeaFrance knew we had rabbits with us, they didn't check on them.  We avoided 'customs' once off the ferry by accidentally taking the bus lane instead of car lane (huge queues!), so have no idea how customs would have handled the rabbits or the certificates.  The bus lane trick can be useful...[;-)]

If you need any more info, just post back or PM me.

Naughty Chris!

Have a look here, Julie

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/regulation/eu_reg.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet6.pdf

You can get more information about the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) and quarantine

by contacting Defra:

PETS helpline

Telephone: +44 (0)870 241 1710

(Monday to Friday - 8.30am to 5pm UK time)

Fax: +44 (0) 1245 458749

Email: [email protected]

(please enclose your postal address and a day time telephone number)

Hello

We moved to France over 4 years ago, and with us came 1 puppy and 2 house rabbits. The rabbits didn't need an export certificte just a letter from the vets to say they were healthy at the time for travel, we did have to keep them in a cage and locked in the car, we were told by Brittany ferries that they wouldn't take us because of the old sea tale, but when we went to bookings they were fine with it an allowed us to travel with the rabbits, with no troubles.I hope you find this usefull. Good luck

Vicky