Are Vets open on a Monday - what do I do

saffy

We are taking our little dog over to our house near St Malo for the first time on Thursday, this means we haev to get him to a vet at least 24 hrs before our return which is on the following Tuesday.  Havent a clue what we do when we get there and wondered if anyone knew if vets were open on a Monday as it seems we will have to get him "done" by 9.30am on the monday morning.  Its a blinking nightmare really because we are going back over on 22nd December and returning on Tuesday 2nd jan so again we are going to be buggered because I cant imagine a vet being open on 1st January or Sunday 31st.  Has anyone else got this problem.

You may have a bit of a problem. The Monday is a public holiday so you won't find a vet working and that will also be the case on Sunday.  If you know your local vet really well then he might be prepared to treat your dog on Saturday but put 31st on the form but unless you know in advance that he's prepared to break the rules then your best bet would be to change your return crossing to one day later. You must have the flea, tick and worm  treatment done between 24 and 48 hours prior to your return crossing scheduled departure time. When you take your dog into the terminal building check-in desk they will check every detail on the paperwork

Unsure about your two visits and if there are two Mondays involved. Except for Bank Holidays, my own local vets (different area) are open every Monday (probably except Bank Holidays). I'm sure there must be some who close on Monday and most/all on Bank holidays. I'm sure different vets do different things but I would have thought you will find a vet open on a normal (non Bank holiday) Monday. I would expect most gets to be closed on Bank holidays except for emergencies. I've no experience about how open they would be to bank holiday visits. (Not that I would suggest it but) you might find one who will "post date" the treatment but don't ask them - see if they suggest it!!.

If you are worried, find some from Yellow pages and call them. French vets generally know what is required for the entry into the UK.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
My vet even opens (briefly) on public holidays so you might be in luck too. I hope so.

By the way, it's worth noting that the 48-24 'window' applies to the time you check your pet in, NOT your actual crossing time. I guess because if there was a departure delay and you missed the window they couldn't really throw you off the boat/train.

On the Defra site it says:

Your pet must be treated against ticks and tapeworms not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.

This can sometimes help with tricky, fine-tuned timings, as you could check in early to be within the limits, even though you might not be crossing until an hour or so later.

We're not going over this year but had the same problem a couple of years ago (or was it last year?) Anyway, I was worried at the prospect that our vet would be closed, and asked a friend if her vet would be open. Her vet (who didn't know us at all) promised that if we had any problems he'd meet us at the surgery on the holiday and do the return stuff for me. In the event, our own vet was open and did it anyway. If you can, best to check ahead, but you'll find you can get something sorted, I'm sure.

There is a vet near us who will write different dates on the forms, he's done it for a neighbour of mine, and I think he may have given them the treatments for them to administer once too. Worth asking or explaining your problem to them, you never know they may encounter this all the time.