Sexuality in Dogs

Just Katie

My neighbour popped in the other day and told me her bitch was on heat and suggested I avoided them when walking my 16 month old dog through the fields.  However,  we accidentally bumped into each other the other day when both our dogs were running free.  My neighbour got all in a tizz but my dog showed not the slightest bit of interest.  Other dogs I have owned have shown interest by this age.

Does homosexuality exist in dogs or is it a myth?

hi,

It is possible that your dog may not be interested at this stage, I have experienced  males at stud not wanting to enter into mating at all, and not having any medical problems, it is a matter of the dogs mental maturity and signals given off by the female also can have an effect on the matter.

some males are of the more timid nature and will not take that " brave step " with a female. your dog is of mature sexual age, but may just not be interested at this stage, there are many reasons why, but do not be too worried, if you are planning to breed from him the maybe a checkup at the vets would be in order but if he is otherwise fine in your opinion then again I wouldn't worry.

homosexuality is a mental preferance and dogs do not posess the ability to make that judgement, but some behavior of a sexual nature does occur betwen males in the animal kingdom, but it is isolated.

good luck

Monty

[quote user="monty01"]...

some behavior of a sexual nature does occur betwen males in the animal kingdom, but it is isolated.

[/quote]

Yes, you're right. Very isolated. [Www] Our first two boy labradors (litter brothers) performed their sexual gymnastics to the sitting room, in front of the television, after their supper. Quite specific in their requirements really. And they certainly did enjoy themselves - to the logical conclusion. I know I risk being moderated, but if I say they knew how to count beyond 68, there's a clue there.

When a friend wanted to use one of them as a stud dog for her b itch, the b itch - Div - had to show Gin what to do -  Div was very keen to proceed but eventually got frustrated by Gin's inability to do anything but mount her head. She mounted him, the light visibily went on in Gin's head and though they didn't tie, 5 pups were the result. She proved as bad a mother as he was a stud and sat on two pups and stood on another. I've no idea what preferences the surviving two eventually displayed.

Was this too much information??[:-))]

hi,

Mine is an opinion, like anyone else's, there are a lot of people who give what looks like informed opinions here, and I would never question those that do, I take it for what it is.

I only reply on this forum to such things that are close to my interests, canines being that, my knowledge is what I have gathered through my time, and I do not have to verify my expertise, as I am giving a free opinion, not asking for a fee.The person who posted can do with my reply as they please, as I do others and I hope you can also Bugbear.

Monty

Thank you very much for your replies. 

Monty, I do not intend to use my dog as stud as he is not breed standard.  If anything I think my life would be easier if he did not display an interest in females (they are only trouble anyway[:)])

Catalpa, your reply was very amusing.  However when two male dogs chose to mount each other I believe this is more a show of "who is the boss" rather than homosexuality.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Lou, I think your reply was most interesting.  Your dog shows no interest in females or any male tendencies.  How old is this dog?  Also, I assume he is in tact.

[quote user="monty01"]

hi,

Mine is an opinion, like anyone else's, there are a lot of people who give what looks like informed opinions here, and I would never question those that do, I take it for what it is.

I only reply on this forum to such things that are close to my interests, canines being that, my knowledge is what I have gathered through my time, and I do not have to verify my expertise, as I am giving a free opinion, not asking for a fee.The person who posted can do with my reply as they please, as I do others and I hope you can also Bugbear.

Monty

[/quote]

I wasn't being critical, I was just wondering how, not just you, but anyone could actually know the point that you stated. It was stated as a fact whereas, as you have now said, it was merely an opinion.

No problem.........................[:)]

wasn't being critical, I was just wondering how, not just you, but anyone could actually know the point that you stated. It was stated as a fact whereas, as you have now said, it was merely an opinion.

I was actually referring to factual scientific behavioral studies, i have read so many i cannot at this time tell you the author but it would have been an eminent behaviorist as it was part of a study into cynology. i just do not see the point in getting too technical here.

I have spoken to many trainers and behaviorists and have read many differing opinions , there is not always just one right way, i am sure there are, as i have said, many reasons why, and judging by the reply from the original poster it is not really a serious deficit for them.

I always just give my opinion, wether it is informed or not, with regards to dogs there is some depth to my opinion but i just enjoy giving that opinion in the first place .

with regard to the sexual acts between same sex animals i was referring to actual  sexual behavior, that is for instance displayed in the bonobo chimpanzee, who actually perform acts together, without going to much into detail, of course there is occasions when male on male arousal takes place between dogs, but to my knowledge, that has not ended in an actual copulation, but  i am always open to learning from others.

Monty

[quote user="monty01"]

I was actually referring to factual scientific behavioral studies, i have read so many i cannot at this time tell you the author but it would have been an eminent behaviorist as it was part of a study into cynology. i just do not see the point in getting too technical here.

[/quote]

Interesting stuff and time to put it to bed, at least on here. I Googled the subject, out of interest, and it's a bit of a minefield. It's subjective and therefore fraught with the potential for a real argument and I'm not going there. [:)]

For your own personal interest you may like to have a look at this though http://www.narth.com/docs/animalmyth.html

I'm gone............................[8-|]

Bugbear, I found the same for and against arguments myself.  I cannot get to the bottom of it really.  Anyway, he may be a bit immature at the moment (after all he is a male[:)])  but I promise to post back after his first encounter whatever the sex of the partner.

In fact, I may put it in the photography section[Www]