Ladrador puppy in France?

Normandie

I want to buy a black, male, labrador puppy next sumer for my father (he lives in France) - question is do I but one in England and 'export' it or could we find one in France?  (I live in England).

I know he will want one that KC registered and got good hip/eye certs, and a working dog (not show) so is there an equivalent to this sort of standard in France, or will I need to buy one in England and then get a passport, microchips, vaccinations, blood tests etc?

I presume that I'd need to keep it for a few weeks so that it can have its vaccinations done before it travels and that would be difficult as I work.  Any advice on how long it takes to get a passport in place?

Alternatively does anyone know of any links to breeders in La Manche (50)?

Not sure where to start!

We have a rescued yellow lab in France, who came from a breeder in St Laurent de Terregatte, near to Ducey (50). We also know his full brother (black) and a half-sister (chocolate) - not pedigree but good sound dogs.

There are often labradors and other dogs advertised for sale at our vet, in Le Teilleul.

I know of a breeder just across the department border from Manche - in Mayenne: Stephanie Godwin at Todspack Kennels. We've seen some of her labrador puppies and they're lovely. Good conformation, look bright and healthy and we will look at buying our next labrador from her. Our current lab is living out a peaceful old age as senior (and only) dog. Her lines include some of the best-known British names and I think are mostly from the UK and America.

http://www.parsonrussellterrier.com/pages/indexpag.html

I think in France, the Kennel Club registered equivalent is LOF-registered and I think I've read that the individual animals are assessed by the LOF and if they are deemed as conforming to the breed norms, they are issued with the relevant papers. I think that's how it works. But only think.[:)]

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got a pup from Tintagel Winds Labradors, www.twlabradors.com .  All their dogs are superb quality, from hip, elbow and eye checked parents.  Also some litters come from Optigen tested parents (PRA - a hereditary disease which causes blindness common in labrdors).  They are dual purpose dogs (dogs which both show and work), they are all registered with the French Kennel Club (SCC).  I can not recommend them highly enough.  I bought my dog to show but she comes from working/show parents.  They do also have many pup which go to non-working/non-show homes too.  The lady who "is" TW Labradors is English (Felicity Leith-Ross) but has lived in France for many, many years.  Take a look at their website, regardless, you will find out lots and lots of useful information about labradors.  If you need any help or advice regarding registration/hip/elbow scres etc (the scoring is very slightly different in France but the same sort of standards apply) do feel free to pm me.  Also, if your French is any good take a look at the Retreiver Club de France website where you will find details of puppies available from labrador breeders. http://www.retrieverclubdefrance.com/retrievers.htm or the SCC website www.scc.asso.fr .

As you can tell - I LOVE LABRADORS!!!

You think you have a long journey - we drove over 1000 miles to collect our pup and we hadn't even seen her!!! [:D]  She's worth every penny though.  The same breeder is also based in Cleveland in the UK (Kira - Felicity's daughter), the phone number is on their site, so if you are interested she could give help and advice and is familiar with exporting pups all over the world, including France, obviously.  Her pups are all KC registered rather than LOF (French kennel club) though, as they will have been born in the UK.

Good luck anyway!

You think you have a long journey - we drove over 1000 miles to collect our pup and we hadn't even seen her!!! [:D]  She's worth every penny though.  The same breeder is also based in Cleveland in the UK (Kira - Felicity's daughter), the phone number is on their site, so if you are interested she could give help and advice and is familiar with exporting pups all over the world, including France, obviously.  Her pups are all KC registered rather than LOF (French kennel club) though as they will have been born in the UK.

Good luck anyway!