bought our property but where are the deeds

I too had a bound copy of the contract, but understood the deeds are held by the notaire.

But what happens if I decide to sell and use a different notaire? Would the new one retrieve the deeds from the previous one?

What if the previous notaire retires or just stops trading for some other reason?

Andy

Don't panic. It is very usual in France to wait more than a year to receive anything remotely connected with the purchase of your property. Everything is centrally logged with the equivalent of the land registry in Paris, so any property that is for sale within France can have it's details retrieved by notaires. You may also find that you get a rebate from paying too much to the notaire, most do. What you should receive eventually is a title as such giving the property situation, composition and measurements along with the previous owners and their history,nothing like UK house deeds. When you receive a copy of this, keep it in a very safe place for future reference.

Hi!

You will (at some stage!) be given a file (try asking the Notaire for your dossier) but it's more about your purchase than giving the history of the house like English deeds. You might though find part of the vendors family tree laid out, showing the various "splits" if it's beign sold by the "estate", makes for an interesting read!

As for the estate agent, rest assured, if you bought AEM (the "key in hand price"), they will have been paid directly by the Notaire (probably went away from the signing with their cheque!), so you shouldn't have to pay them anything extra.

Good luck and enjoy your new home.

David

All sounds normal to me. You will recieve something but it normally takes a couple of months minimum. As previously said a record of the title deeds will be held by the notaire and eventually registered with the land registry. Don,t worry about it.

We signed the 'acte de vente' two months ago and the notaire told us to contact him in "about 4-6 months" to collect the oficial copy of the contract. I got the impression that if we didn't ask, we wouldn't be sent anything and he would just hold on to it indefinitely!

Probably worth asking..... 

When I signed the acte de vente I got a copy of the architect's plans showing the extension the sellers had had approved (there seem to be considerable differences! :confused the  keys (but not to all the doors :unsure and a sheet of paper signed by the notaire stating what I had bought.  He said that in 4 to 6 months I would be getting the proper papers but in the meanwhile I should keep the purchase paper very safely.

FYI I was told by the UK solicitor that the old fashioned house deeds no longer exist - it's all on computer and computer printouts.  So, if you have the old deeds hang on to them - they could be worth more than the house

Coral