cat and swimming pool

londoneye

hi all

within the next few months we hope to install a swimming pool, and i am very worried about the cat.     He (the cat) does not seem to be the quickest learner on the block, and has got himself into all kinds of problems since we have been here, the piece de resistance being recently jumping on top of the cuisiniere when it was lit (thankfully only one paw slighly burned on that occasion).

Needless to say i am now starting to worry myself stupid about the pool - his favourite places ever are under tarpaulins (of which we have too many to count dotted around for various reasons), and i am sure that he is just going to consider the swimming pool cover to be just another giant tarpaulin added for his personal pleasure and comfort.   

Don't shout me down anyone, but i was considering a really drastic measure such as putting him on a harness and giving him a quick dip once the pool is filled, in order to try and teach him once and for all that the pool should be avoided at all costs.   I know it sounds awful, but we simply couldnt watch him 24/7 and i am so worried about it.   

There must be lots of you out there with pools and cats, and i was wondering whether your cats avoided/tried to take a dip etc, and what measures anyone has taken?

As to the cover,  most of them that I have come across are held

down taughtly and I think most cats would have a lot of trouble getting

under the edge.

Ours (we have 7 French cats and 1 English one) play on the cover in the

winter,  and to date have never fallen in in the

summer.   I wouldn't rate their intelligence as high, 

although the French ones were born to the place,  and the English

one fell in a pond as a kitten because the previous day he had walked

across the ice that the weather had conveniently manufactured specially

for him and was surprised to find it gone.

I really wouldn't worry - what you could try is jumping about and

splashing a lot in the pool when it's open and the cat is watching -

even perhaps ensure a few drops accidentally fall on him. 

But even the dumbest cats are really quite canny....

Our cats love to drink from the swimming pool.  To start with we were a litle worried about this in case the chemicals harmed them but it doesn't seem to have done any long term harm !    In the summer, if the cover is on, they can sometimes be seen tentatively putting a paw onto the cover which can look alarming but I now know that all they are doing is pushing it down a little to get some water onto the surface of the cover for a drink.  Cats are probably far more inteligent than we give them credit for, and also very nimble with a good sense of balance.   Ours do walk on the top of the winter cover but this certainly isn't a problem.

Only on one occassion has one of our cats ended up in the pool.  Last summer I had been cleaning the pool, closely watched by one of our younger cats. As I was striding down the terrace at the edge of the pool, the cat decided to run at full speed from behind me and attempt to overtake me on the inside. The result was that as my leg strode forward it made contact with the cat running who subsequently bounced off and flew into the water. Before I had time to react the cat had swum to the edge and climbed out of the water unaided. I am pleased to report that he  was very wet, slightly bemused but otherwise unharmed. It hasn't put him off the pool as he still enjoys watching me clean it in the morning and still drinks the chlorinated water.

I seem to remember seeing an 'Animal Ladder' thingy for swimming pools (and large ponds etc) which allows an animal (cat, dog possum etc) to climb out if they fall in.  You only need one apparently as nearly every animal can swim, with the exception of humans an giraffes, the problem is that they can't get out and eventually get exhausted and drown after many 'laps' of the pool.  With the ladder, wherever they fall in they will come across it on the first lap.  It would help any other wildlife that might fall in too.  Sorry I don't know the name of this but maybe Google can help.

One of our cats fell in the pool once. Its head remained dry as it struggled to get out. Fortunately I saw her go in and was able to fish her out. I've made a wooden ramp which goes over the edge of the pool and floats on the surface. Then anything, not just cats, can clamber out safely.

thanks all - i was more worried about the summer cover than winter - and i had absolutely no idea that cats could swim; that's come as quite a shock to be to be honest!  Perhaps i had assumed that an animal with such a dislike of water would not be able to swim.

The ramp sounds like a good idea - i will do something of the kind.

oh yes, and for all those who think that cats have more sense that we give them credit for - come and swap - swap your vet bills for mine and i think you will be re-thinking that concept; sadly my cat does seem to be dumber than most !!!!

Londoneye - we're as worried as you, about our cats & the pool.  As soon as possible we hoping to get a "floating cover" (can't remember the correct technical name) installed, which covers all the water, is totally safe for them to walk on & also complies with the necessary summer/winter safety regulations.

It'll cost a bit - but we don't care as long as the pool is safe & the cats are dry!!

I was thinking of saving all my wine corks and making a lifebelt for our newest addition as she is very curious and I can just see her this summer getting into the water as she was only tiny last summer and not allowed out when we were swimming.

• 4 weeks later...

Just because they don't like to swim doesn't mean they can't! There are some cats that actually like water - somewhere in the orient.   Can't all animals swim instinctively if they have to?    I had a cat that liked walking round the edge of the bath when I was in it - which was fine until he tried to turn round. Another who thought our small pond was just an extension of the lawn, as it looked solid.

I see what you mean about getting under a swimming pool cover tho, that would be awful.  I've never heard of a floating pool cover but if we ever have a big enough garden and the spare money, would love a pool and a floating cover sounds good

I think you are right and that most animals can swim.  Certainly horses can.  I used to take mine to Camber sands.  The first time I took one of them in the water she just set sail out to sea.  If I hadn't turned her around I think I would have got a free crossing to France!