Horses in Limousin

jayjaymac

Hi,

My husband and I (sounds very regal!!;-) are planning to move to the Limousin area towards the end of the year. We have to sell our house first and so have not come over house-hunting, although I'm continually glued to the net, looking at whats about.

I am hoping to bring my gelding over and am wondering what facilities there are available in the Limousin area? Also whether feed and hay are easy to obtain? There is also the question of farriers and vets?

Can anyone advise me, even though I don't yet know exactly where we'll be!!

Don't know about the Limousin, sorry.  I have had no problems with French vets, but farriers take a bit of finding to get a good one, here at least.  Hay is cheap and excellent.  Feed is readily available and good quality but (I find) a problem if you want low-energy feed. 

My neighbours son is a farrier, we are near Eymoutiers,his parents own a very nice hotel called the Ranch du Lac and they would be very pleased to help you and you could stay there whilst you were house hunting, they speak English fluently.They know the vets in the area and helped me when my cat needed the vet.They also have a gite with all the usual facilities.Please pm me if you require any extra information.

We have lived in Haute Vienne for 9 months and we brought our horse with us.  I have found an excellent farrier, who speaks fluent English and lives near us!!  Haven't needed the vet yet, but I am told there is a good one near us.   We have found hay and feed easy to obtain, though you need to be careful where you buy hay, as there is a lot of ragwort about and not everyone removes it before haymaking!

Good luck with your move.

Miszter

PS  It has been very wet in our area this winter!!!