Date for Signing?

It depends on the individual notaire - some are far more flexible than others. It's best to contact your agent with your preferred date as soon as possible - if you are not buying through an agent you will have to talk to the notaire direct.

As an alternative to changing the date you can appoint somebody to sign on your behalf, often a member of the notaire's staff will act for you. Again this is easier with some notaires than others, some insist on an official power of attorney document drawn up and witnessed by a lawyer, others accept less formal arrangements.

Shwmae Matt and best wishes for your signing on Saturday

Yes, Martyn you're correct we wont have the money until we arrive, looks like that will be approx. 2wks later than the proposed signing date, best laid plans and all that ...

Not sure now whether to be totally upfront with the Notaire about the money not being with us yet or whether to just blag it and say that's the earliest we can get there (which is also true).

[quote]Shwmae Matt and best wishes for your signing on Saturday Yes, Martyn you're correct we wont have the money until we arrive, looks like that will be approx. 2wks later than the proposed signing da...[/quote]

Yes, I meant Shwmae :confusedI'll learn Welsh one day, as soon as I've got my French together - could be some time).

Good luck with yours too.

Matt

Hi

We're signing for our house in October but we can't make it either.  So we're now signing a power of attorney, which needs to be witnessed by a notary public.  The fee varies so shop around we're paying £50 and then they have to send it for legalisation which is another £12.  You have to provide passport and utility bill for identification.  It's not an ideal situation but at the end of the day at least it can be done that way.  I would have thought that the Notaire had little influence over the signing date once it's been agreed at the compromis stage - we asked him if we could put it back until November but the owner said she wanted to stick to the original date - unsurprising, really.

Your best bet is to speak to the Notaire ASAP.  Ours was very helpful and we received the documents 2 days later.

Hope all goes well with you.

Nathalie