Cat with fleas

pogo

I am sure everyone with a cat goes through this,but ours had loads of fleas last year,and this year looks to be the same.We have tried collers,which the cat got it's paw and then front leg in ,then a small capsule of fluid that you put behind it's neck, and we have tried very expensive sprays,which seem to have no effect. Is there anything else we can do,as my wife doesn't take well to them crawling (jumping?) around the house,bed and our legs.Thanks for replies.Pogo

Oh dear - brings back memories of last year when we had an infestation and we had visitors who weren't impressed. There is a thread about it from about last July-August. Most people said that the only way to get rid is to use "bombes" in each room and shut the room up for a few hours. With us the pipettes worked on the cats themselves - in fact I've just written them down on my shopping list. Let us know how you get on. Pat. ps just done a search and the discussion was last September.

We use Frontline, which has never failed us.  We use the spray - it's fast, easy and, dose-by-dose, is cheap.

My mother used to love combing her cats through with a flea comb and then dropping the little horrors into discinfectant.  But that's just odd!

You could give "Capstar" a go but it's an oral treatment so if your cat's a problem to give pills to it can be a bore!  However, its advantage, in my book, is that you know it's gone where it's supposed to!  I'm never quite sure if this is the case when I Frontline.  You can buy it (and Frontline) on line here

http://www.wormers.co.uk/acatalog/Flea.html

Yes, they are in the UK but are very reasonable about postage charges and if you stock up with a long term supply it is a very economical place to get them - especially if you treat yourself to a year's supply of wormers at the same time.

Edit : Sadly I have just discovered that due to rule changes here, they can no longer mail to France.  They will post to an English address though, if you know somebody who can pass them on.  Sorry about the mis-information, folks.

Frontline COMBO in the green packs is far more efficient than the ordinary blue Frontline drops plus there is no smell to upset the cat. Ours are flea-free since using this version as the fleas got immune to the ordinary type.

[quote user="pogo"] Is there anything else we can do,as my wife doesn't take well to them crawling (jumping?) around the house,bed and our legs.Thanks for replies.Pogo [/quote]

I use Frontline but I also use 'Insecticide Habitat' - spray et fogger (actif 6 mois) that I bought from the pharmacie at the same time as the drops. I just spray it on the chairs etc have the doors open and leave it to dry. It is supposed to kill any adult fleas and also any larva and eggs and should last for 6 months. Reasonable too it cost 11€70 for a 200 ml canister.

Sue

I'll second the Frontline Combo which is still a prescription drug in the UK but available in pharmacies in France.  The Combo kills flea eggs as well as adults and is therefore far more efficient in stopping the flea cycle. Also kills fleas and eggs in areas where the cat sleeps.  However, if the infestation is really bad then you also need to treat your soft furnishings with a product.  Before using whichever product you choose, thoroughly hoover your soft furnishings and carpets, the vibrations bring eggs to the surface, then treat with insecticide.

I agree with all that's been said about Frontline Combo but you have to be aware that the fleas do not live on the animals. They only jump on to feed.  Most of the time they are living and breeding in your carpets and soft furnishings. If you make your pets a no go area by treating them then they will jump onto humans to feed - even though they prefer cats and dogs !  Make sure that you buy a good spray treatment to spray around your floors and furniture - concentrate around the edges of the room.

[quote user="Eslier"]  Most of the time they are living and breeding in your carpets and soft furnishings. If you make your pets a no go area by treating them then they will jump onto humans to feed - even though they prefer cats and dogs ! 

[/quote]

I was gutted last year to discover they quite like gap between wooden floorboards too............ Grrrrr.....i was feeling smug there wouldn't be a problem, being carpet free. And yes i do vacuum the floor!!!

I saw my first flea last week.  We've had a dog for 4 years and chickens for 8 months but I'd never seen a flea until I rescued a kitten last week. There was a 'bit' of something near his ear so I picked it off, started to look to see what it was and it lept of my finger with such a spring there was no doubt .  Incredible bounce off my finger, they're strong legged little buggers, my finger nearly recoiled away with the force!!  Frontlined now and house sprayed, no others seen thankfully.

Frontline just does not work on my cats, so I'm going to try Stronghold next time.  At the moment the cats are relatively flea free.  I comb them everyday and any that come off get the "bubblewrap squash treatment" (not it's not sad - it's quite rewarding).

The huge problem I have particularly with my white cat is ticks.  I pulled 9 off him yesterday morning (2 were wandering about his fur looking for a space to latch on).  This morning again after his night time foraging in the long grass, another 3 strolling across his fur and a huge "bloater" which was about to drop off anyway.  Every morning when he comes in, he is inspected, but his fur is so thick, they are sometimes difficult to see despite him being white.

I would recommend to anyone, getting the "tick tool" from the vets and remember to unwind the tick anti-clockwise.

Hopefully the Stronghold will help with this problem, but as I said, the cat's fur is so thick it's difficult trying to find a patch of skin on the back of his neck to drop the liquid onto.

Jan

Himself had a tick yesterday............you should have heard the fuss! (He won't even take them off the dog). At least it was on his arm.....i've had them in worse places.....

Yep those little gadget thingys are good though.

I was gutted last year to discover they quite like gap between wooden floorboards too............ Grrrrr.....i was feeling smug there wouldn't be a problem, being carpet free. And yes i do vacuum the floor!!!

My neighbour had every room replastered and skirtings changed to get rid of them..........[:(]

[quote user="Val_2"]Frontline COMBO in the green packs is far more efficient than the ordinary blue Frontline drops plus there is no smell to upset the cat. Ours are flea-free since using this version as the fleas got immune to the ordinary type.[/quote]

We always used Frontline & then tried Frontline Combo, for the extra cover it offers.  Within an hour Soloman had a totally bald patch where we had applied it.  There was no reddness or "sore" spot - just a round bald patch, the size of a €2 piece, between his shoulders.  Thankfully it didn't seem to cause him any problems - but have now moved onto Stronghold, which also treats the ear mites he suffers from.

Thankfully, for some strange reason, it also didn't affect the treated area on the top of his head - or he would have ended up looking like a monk!!

I'm pretty sure that Stronghold does not treat ticks (I think its fleas and certain types of worms) which is my priority given the diseases they can carry.  Please check with your vet/pharmacist if you are trying to deter ticks as well as fleas.