Large dog wanted....

junebaby

Hi everyone

Long-shot this, but we are moving to France in mid-May and would really like to get a large dog quite soon after moving in.  We were thinking Doberman, Rottweiler, Ridgeback etc etc.

Wondered if anyone had or knew of any puppies coming up in the 47 or 24 region that we could consider when we got there.

As we are moving to a rural area we wanted to get sorted fairly quickly.

Thanks

Vicki

Do please consider contacting the Phoenix refuge - we got our dog Molly from them and were very impressed with the work that they do.  If you are definite in that you want a puppy rather than an older dog they may still be able to help.

http://phoenixasso.com/

Hi Vicki,

How about the "Apollo of dogs" the Great Dane.  Here is a link to a Dane rescue site http://perso.orange.fr/votredogueallemand/index.htm.  They do sometimes have puppies and often they have young (+/- one year) dogs.

We bought our first Dane in South Africa about 30 years ago on a, " don't want his problems but cannot leave him with those people",  basis.   We never regretted it  as  he   rehabilitated and settled in very quickly and became a wonderful family pet and friend and we have never been without at least one (and as many as five) Danes since.    However, I would say that if you are looking for a guard dog, then, sadly, a Dane is not for you as they are not naturally aggressive but rather friendly and welcoming to all but the most threatening visitors, though ours do love a good bark at the postie [:P]but she understands that it is all in fun[:D].

When we came to France we brought one male Dane with us and some time later applied to RescueDogue for a companion for him and  they let us adopt our beautiful harlequin  girl, Utopie, from them  And they don't cost as much as you might imagine to care for, just a little more than a Labrador. There, aren't they irresistible? 

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/miggimeggi/IMGP0213.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/miggimeggi/IMGP0052.jpg[/IMG]

Please feel free to email or PM me if you want to know more.

Hi Dick,

Can't you see, they don't need training, they are just born naturally beautiful and very elegant [:D] [:D]though I do suspect that they are just a bit conscious of the camera and show off a bit.

Yes Utopie, the black & white one is a Dane as well but with Danes you have animal apartheid.  You mustn't (or shouldn't) breed across the colour lines or you get some very messy, mixed up colours so the breed standard lays down very strict colour codes to keep everything pretty. 

Forgive my ignorance but is the black and white known as a Harlequin?  Both very beautiful dogs.

Just wondering why the OP particularly wants a large dog, surely better to research a particular breed to make sure said breed would fit into the family? 

[quote user="Lurcherleans"]

Forgive my ignorance but is the black and white known as a Harlequin?  Both very beautiful dogs.

Just wondering why the OP particularly wants a large dog, surely better to research a particular breed to make sure said breed would fit into the family? 

[/quote]

Yes Nettie, Utopie is a Harlequin and she came to us just over a year ago from RescueDogue.  

I also wondered why they particularly wanted a large dog and in retrospect I think that perhaps I shouldn't have posted because  together with the fact that they mention that they are moving to a  "rural location" I think it possible that they want a guard dog and of course a Dane would just not be suitable.  The particular breeds mentioned  by the OP are generally recognised as guarding dogs.  On the other hand of course, like me, they may just love [:D]large dogs. 

We have just had a litter of 4 Parson Russell Terriors, 2 males, 1 female left, ready mid May.  Pedigree, chipped, and vaccinated.  Father French Champion of travail, Mother CAC winner.   Not big dogs I know, but big personalities.  Email me if interested.  We're in 19 Correze.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  Yes, we are looking for a large dog, partially because we love large dogs (dh used to breed German Shepherds and we used to own and breed Dalmatians although I would say they are medium sized) and also because we do want a certain amount of security.

Having said that I would not be averse to having a Great Dane because they are really lovely dogs.  A friend of mine used to have one and he was just gorgeous and so lovely with children.

I'm not quite sure where to start looking for a dog when we get to France actually - I presume the local paper?  Any other suggestions?  I did rather want a puppy because we want to our daughter to think of it as a pet too so it seems sensible to start off with a puppy.

Thanks again.

Vicki

ooh dont get me started, english mastiffs forever, they are the (to me) without exception the most wonderful companion, known as the "aristiocratic guardian" BUT they are big often up to 20stone, they slobber on your ceilings, they nick your chair/sofa & bed space (all of it), give you bruising just by giving a cuddle (ive got a great black eye) they are quite formidable to look  at, but sooo cute if you take the time to look properly, but they are the most gentle of creatures around their smaller counterparts and children, please take time to have look at the breed, when we bought out first one 8 years ago after months of waiting lists we were told we would become addicted to the breed, 3 later dont really know what they were talking about!!

Mastiff (not bull mastiffs, neopolitan, dogues de bourdoux, etc) are not a nasty  breed but they are guarders,( I do not know of one mastiff attack against a person), and i am  member of many groups etc where this kind of news is reported,  however many mastiff owners will tell tales that when their dogs have found an intruder in the house they dont attack, they just simply sit and keep them there!! until the owners return home and call the appropriate authorities.

definately  a breed worth considering! any further info please do hesitate to ask

Dont think you would want a rottie in France as they are classed as dangerous dogs and are not allowed in public unless muzzled and on a lead . Also cannot be walked by anyone under 18 and you must carry the dogs ID papers and I think compulsory insurance with you whenever in public.Not much fun for the dog or owner.

Not sure about the other breeds, though would be worth checking before buying.

GSDs for me - after 4 complete softies (2 white and 2 std) and only one bought from a breeder; the others came to us from Homes ranging in age from 6 months to 18 months.  Strong, gentle owners and a loving home - works every time.  Not like the manic inbred yard GSD next to us - apart from one other lapdog has not socialized and it shows!!  Our current 2 GSDs find it very exciting running around our land - no barking from them but you should hear him when they are in the front (not any more since it disturbs next doors GSD) - poor sod what a life ...... he is 7 and his back legs are going already.

regards

Vern

There are theives in France too,  Friends have been burgled 3 times, twice when no one was living there while it was being renovated but once just recently, they even took the washing machine as well as the magret de canard and the foie gras plus the usual stuff theives go for.

[quote user="rusheslake"]Maybe I live in a different France... but why do you need a large dog for security?

Excuse my naivety but here we just leave everthing open... and have never even considered ourselves at risk...

This is France isnt it?[/quote]

Any dog would do if you want to be alerted of unexpected arrivals. The barking would also alert the neighbours if you're out for the day.

As for 'leaving everything open', I have to assume this is said tongue in cheek![:P]

Hello, I too had Danes and yes they are gentle giants, great companions and very tolerant of children despite their size.  I was broken hearted when they went off to doggy heaven within months of each other, however, one was 13 years old but her companion just gave up when she went I think.

After this the house was so empty without the whacking of doggy tails on furniture and demolition of children so we took a rescue dog, our Ed.   He'd had a very sad start in life being abused and dragged alongside a kids buggy around some grotty estate in south London,  he was rescued by a kind lady who alas could not keep him, so she took him to the dog's home where they decided it would be best to advertise for a more special home for him who were used to Big Dogs.  Ed you see is a chocolate lab cross bull mastiff - mastiff head and body on lab legs, daft as a brush but devoted and loving except to cats!   He is a giant fat labrador.   The home was concerned that the word "mastiff" would attract the wrong sort of potential owner for him, so we got the equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition before he was brought for a visit and he never left us again. 

As we plan to move to France next year it has always been our plan to get him a companion from a rescue organisation, thus we now also have Harley, a Dogue de Bordeaux - or the Ginger Nutter as she is known now!  She is only 11 months old of course and a bit crazy, but Ed has got a new lease of life as a geriatric sex-pest who gets his nose nipped regularly for his efforts.   She has the makings of a fine pet.

Giving a home to a rescue dog is a noble thing, but don't dismiss the idea of taking an older dog because after all, the worst bit of toilet training etc is usually already done and you will know you have made a difference to a creature when needed to be loved.   (Harley is on my Avatar by the way) 

Hi

I looked after a 12month old Great Dane for a week last month and he was gorgeous. He is now available free to a good home.  He is chipped and innoculated and would make an excellent pet for you;  his owners are now working and don't have the time to devote to him. Let me know ifyou are inrerested.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vicki, have you found a dog because there is this one year old German Shepherd on Total France who needs a home very urgently.  He is very affectionate with children, but doesn't like cats.  If anyone can do something for Ozzy, I have the owner's telephone number.  He is chipped and vaccinated.

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29184&start=0