pups into France

Jacko

If this helps. I cross the borders with my dog. I have been asked to produce my passport on the odd occasion. They have noticed my dog but not asked or said anything. As ever though, someone will come on to clarify it all I am sure. 

I thought you were too/to (help me out with this to/too deal) busy for jocularity today Panda? Something about having to collect your pension?[:P]

I cannot divulge anything under the terms of the Geneva convention.

(wish they had a spell checker on this thing. Pasting to write mail and back again.......phew)

I took it that you were breeding dogs - crossing border collies for no doubt bizzare reasons!

Being as I'm sat in Luxembourg, surrounded by France Belgium and Germany, I asked colleagues who travel often/regularly with dogs and they knew of no restrictions within the Western EU but maybe there would be something said if the dog were coming from say Ukraine or similar - but even then, probably not.

Hello

I think Pierre is right, I'm thinking of going to Spain or Italy with my pooch this summer and I'm not expecting any issues.

No sadly I'm not a spy and I really shouldn't have time for antics today, I've got loads on, shouldn't complain really, but like you I am occasionally uncontrollably drawn to the seedy world of the forums .

On the spelling front try iespell, you can download this free from http://www.iespell.com , you just right click on it and it checks your posts, so convenient!

Panda

[quote user="Jacko"]Hi all. I am living in France and wish to buy a pup from a breeder in Holland . Can I just drive up, buy him / her and bring it back with me or are there requirements for jabs etc?

[/quote]

Depends on what paperwork/vaccinations the breeder has already dealt with.  If the breeder has not done the preparations then you cannot.  Difference between Pups and dogs is their age !!

Ian

I'm afraid I may have given you some wrong info.

I have now asked some (German) friends who are heavily into dogs and they say the dogs (whatever age) have to have a 'Dog Passport' (issued by a vet) with all the appropriate jabs recorded.  The dog must also be chipped or tattood. 

Also in Holland they are having a clampdown on 'Dangerous Dogs' which means that if the dog fits into something like 12 of 33 possible criteria it may be put down.

I'm really sorry I gave duff info earlier, I should have checked properly.

Hmm, you don't need a full pet passport to enter France though, just the rabies jab, you need the passport to enter the UK.  We had just the jab when we first came and we now have a full passport issued in France simply becasue we go back to the UK and want the option of taking the dog sometimes.

Between Holland and France it should be the same, the pup just needs to have all it's vaccinations up to date but can't have a full passport until it's at least 6 months old so that the blood test can be done surely?

French requirements are that a pup is no younger than 3 months of age, that they have been vaccinated for rabies no less than 21 days before the date of travel, that they are chipped (I think tattoo is still acceptable) and have a Pet Passport. Blood test result is entered on the passport when the result comes in. The paperwork's not likely to be checked at the border, but I'm risk-averse when it comes to my animals' paperwork.

I think we often have in our minds that the chips, passports, age requirements relate to a dog leaving the UK - because normally, that's the question asked and answered. But it's not to do with leaving the UK, it's to do with bringing a dog (or cat or ferret [;-)]) into France from most (not all) EU countries.

[quote user="Panda "]

Hmm, you don't need a full pet passport to enter France though, just the rabies jab, you need the passport to enter the UK.  We had just the jab when we first came and we now have a full passport issued in France simply becasue we go back to the UK and want the option of taking the dog sometimes.

Between Holland and France it should be the same, the pup just needs to have all it's vaccinations up to date but can't have a full passport until it's at least 6 months old so that the blood test can be done surely?

[/quote]

You do not need a blood test to get a full Pet

Passport. The Blood Test is a specific temporary entry requirement

for the UK (plus a couple of other countries). To make life easier

for the Brits there is a section in the full Pet Passport for a vet

to write in that he/she has seen the blood test results and they are

OK.

You can do a blood test before the pup is 6 months

old. When most people talk about "6 months" they are

talking about the minimum period between the successfully tested

blood sample being taken and when the animal can enter the UK.

I am not aware of any requirements for other

vaccinations to be up-to-date for entry into France.  Whilst it

is a good idea, I have never come across any such rules.  Nobody

has every checked any of my dogs vaccination records (other than the

rabies ones) anywhere - and quite a few places check the French

rabies certificates (agility competitions, dog club must keep a copy

of the current certificate, plus border crossings - but only ever

rabies certificate/Pet Passport).

I only started looking back here the other day and

loads of people seems to be posting stuff that is

wrong/misleading/omissions/etc. As a reference resource this forum

has taken "a dive". Used to be much more a case of "If

you don't know, don't say" rather than "if you don't know

just make something up" (which is less helpful to people asking

for advice).

Ian

Are we not saying the same thing, i.e. you only need the blood test for the UK. 

And yes of course you are right the 6 months is the requirement post the test but no one should take info from any forum as the only source of knowledge no one would be that stupid, would they?

[quote user="Panda"]

Are we not saying the same thing, i.e. you only

need the blood test for the UK. 

[/quote]

[quote user="Panda"]

Hmm, you don't need a full pet passport to enter

France though,

[/quote]

You do need a full Pet Passport to enter France

(though I have never heard of anything except a full Pet Passport -

so I don't know what documentation you are talking about). Thus I

don't think we are talking about the same thing.

[quote user="Panda"]

but no one should take info from any forum as

the only source of knowledge no one would be that stupid, would they?

[/quote]

In which case why bother to ask in the first

place. People ask questions on forums like this to get an answer.

Generally people only answer such questions if they know the answer.

If they don't know the answer they tend to not respond. However, on

this forum these days different rules seem to apply. Used to be that

people asked a question they wanted to know the answer to. Crumbs,

the magazine even nicked answers and published them so I jolly well

hope those answers were right !!.

If people did not want an answer they would

probably not ask the question in the first place. What good is

asking a question if you are going to ignore the answer ?

I have seen and met people turned away and the check-in desk at ferry ports and boy does it mess up their plans.  thus mis-information is really quite serious on occasions.  This is the only reason I'm posting now - in the hope that the people asking questions do not get stopped at the border and told they cannot cross because ...  Trouble is, as you can see, posting here is just such hard work.  You gte wrong/erroneous answers, you then have to justify your examples, you then have to further justify your answers, you then have to point out the real rules again, justify what you said again, etc., etc.  It is no wonder people have just stopped bothering with this forum.  You are driving everybody away.  So goodbye.  I should not have started posting here - I just did not want to see people have their plans messed-up by being given duff information.  I really should have taken the "I just don't care" attitude.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"] I just did not want to see people have their plans messed-up by being given duff information.  I really should have taken the "I just don't care" attitude.

Ian

[/quote]

There are many people here who are glad that you do care, you have always given excellent advice and it is thanks to people like you that care that the right info is passed on through this forum 

Please carry on and try not to be take it to heart when others want to start sparring, you and others are appreciated more than you think

Chipie

Thanks for all your advice. I must admit that I did ask the question on this forum because I wanted to know the right answer. I have spoken to two vets, the breeder  and a friend - all giving slightly differing and contradictory advice. I have now emailed the French version of Ag & Fish to get their advice.Thanks anyway

Jacko

Thanks for that cooperlola - yes it does concur with Ian and is most helpful. My local country vet had told me it was ok to bring in the pup at 8 weeks old without the anti rabies injection. Just one more point, if the breeder gets the pup injected etc and a passport provided on say 3 months and 2 days, is that ok? ie is there any waiting time between injection, passport and travel once the dog is 3 months. Unfortunately the breeder was also unsure - never done it before- so I need to clarify things with her beforehand. Knowing my luck the litter will be all males and we won't want one afterall !!!

I'm pretty sure the ruling is that a puppy can't enter France before it is 3 months old because a lot of vets won't vaccinate pups with the rabies vax until they are 3 months old.  Once the pup is 3 months old and is chipped and has his rabies vax then the vet will issue you with a European Pet Passport with details of vaccination date, batch no etc entered on the passport.  You will still have to wait 21 days from the date of vaccination before the pup will be allowed to enter France.  It is then entirely up to you whether you will want the pup to be able to travel to the UK and whether or not you have the antibodies blood test required for entry into the UK.